Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.1119][DS] Ships not hovering.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Ghostickles, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

We have several ships which hover fine until an engineer gets into a cockpit and then they slowly begin to descend. I have repeated this with many ships. They hover fine until you get in.
    EDIT This is every atmospheric ship on the server apparently.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. afinegan Apprentice Engineer

Confirmed, happening on my server too

3. Horny Rooster Trainee Engineer

Confirmed, on planets, none of my atmospheric ships hover at all. So I either have to land them (which can be difficult since they seem to want to crash) or leave them in space. Unconfirmed workaround is leaving hydrogen thrusters on.

4. wildallan Trainee Engineer

I had 2 ships that refused to hover on the Titan planet in 0.25 gravity. Please consider this as being able to hover is one of the major parts of this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. valkyre Trainee Engineer

+1 Ships are sinking

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SparkyFox Apprentice Engineer

Me too, Ships aren't hovering or slowing down or accelerating like how mine used to

7. Nesterus Trainee Engineer

hawtfix plz

8. henkbein Apprentice Engineer

Confirmed in SP.

Atmospheric thruster ships - equipped with enough upward thrust/reactors - can not hold a stable hover position.
    Space suits show this issue too.

For Space suits a 'disable/enable inertia dampeners' and a 'suit on/off' fixes the problem.
    For Atmospheric thruster ships a similar trick solves the problem (although I haven't figured it out exactly yet).

It feels like a 'refresh data' issue: the ship/suit mass is not properly set until you give it a kick with your binary boot.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  9. Matterom Trainee Engineer

Single player: Ships attempting to hover sit at 0.1m/s with active thrust at a high idle power usage

Dedicated Multiplayer Server: Ships descend at varying rates until they collide with terrain

10. demolish50 Senior Engineer

11. Darth Granic Trainee Engineer

Keen we are sinking!

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. commander_gregs Trainee Engineer

Confirmed on my DS as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Draeko Trainee Engineer

I have kind of the same issue in single player : the ship will remain in a stationary behavior if I'm at +10m of it, if I come closer it will start to fall down slowly. I already had this behavior in the 1.118 update.

I have used all the different thrusters (space, atmospheric and hydrogen), the ship will fall step by step if I am to close of it.
    Didn't try it with an artificial mass and a gravity generator.

14. Prescott Freyd Senior Engineer

Hey guys!

Thank you for reporting the issue. Could you please upload a save file where the issue occurs? I would like to check it out :)

Regards,
    PF

• Like Like x 1
  15. Draeko Trainee Engineer

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  16. Prescott Freyd Senior Engineer

Thank you for the world :) I actually managed to reproduce on my own in the meantime, not it is up to our programmers to solve this!

PF

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. MVGmacks Trainee Engineer

We get this problem on our server too, but removing the Arero Dynamic Wings Mod seemed to fix the problem, just want to know if everyone here is using that mod or not. Have put it back in the server not and problem hasnt resurfaced. Might be a fix for some

18. Red Corsair Trainee Engineer

this is a mod-independent issue, ships are sinking without any mods.

19. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Indeed, we reproduced this without any mods active. We also don't use the aerodynamics mod on our server when mods are active.

20. Thomas_Jefferson Apprentice Engineer

Question to anyone having this issue: Do the affected ships contain oxygen generators? I have noticed that large ships that are actively processing inventory tend to sink as the inventory updates. Perhaps this is also the case with small ships processing ice...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Not in our case. It's affecting all ships for us, some have oxygen tanks and others don't, though none of them have any oxygen generators.

22. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

You mean NOW* not NOT* right? lol, thanx Sir.

23. SparkyFox Apprentice Engineer

Update 119.014

Ships still not hovering [Single Player and Dedicated Servers]

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. demolish50 Senior Engineer

Still broke. I suggest you fire every one of your testers. They are terrible.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Nesterus Trainee Engineer

the no hover thing is making earth gameplay highly unfun

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. LocInt Apprentice Engineer

Something is indeed wrong with the dampeners.

27. Thalyn Trainee Engineer

Check the sim speed when it happens. As it drops, so do your ships - and this goes for all ships, regardless of thruster type, what is fitted to them or even what they're even doing.

I can't establish the exact correlation but, at a guess, it's related to the max speed reduction as sim speed goes down. My assumption is that it also reduces your acceleration, likely by reducing your effective thrust, in order to limit potential issues as the sim speed drops. The problem is that either gravity isn't having its force reduced or it is being reduced by a lower amount. As a result when the sim speed drops your dampeners' effective output is reduced and gravity does the rest.

This is related to the mining ship issue in that mining causes significant sim speed losses, resulting in the same outcome.

You can easily demonstrate the issue one of two ways:

Set up a large mining ship (75+ drills) with another, separate ship hovering beside it. Watch as both stay put at 1.00 (or close enough) sim speed. Now start drilling straight down and watch as both the miner and the "control" ship start falling as the voxels are deformed (sim speed down to approximately 0.30 on my system), even if right-click mining (ie not producing additional objects). As soon as you stop (sim speed back to 1.00) everything returns to normal. You can also see it briefly when the auto-save kicks in since it currently suspends the simulation.

Alternatively, set up an external task to put load on the processor and reduce the sim speed. In my case, I used an x264 transcode with NLMeans filtering. As the sim speed is decreased, any and all ships - drills or no - will start falling. The lower the sim speed, the faster they'll fall.

Gravity is obviously required for these demonstrations. The higher the local gravity, the more pronounced the effect.

Note that smaller mining vessels only seem to produce the issue "locally". I was able to test an 8-drill, small grid ship and it only influenced itself when deforming voxels. Every other ship would stay put while it would descend with each voxel update.

28. Kham Apprentice Engineer

I don't think it's related to the sim speed flight speed connection at all, personally. I can accelerate around and fly across the world at 60-70 m/s but all of my ships constantly move down if I take my finger off the space bar. The flight speed being tied to sim speed came in as a stealth patch weeks ago now and these ships were hovering just fine until Thursday. Also, if you disable dampeners you fall much faster so it seems more like they've messed up a part of the calculation for dampeners when it comes to fighting gravity and the thrusters simply aren't putting out enough thrust. Also, the ships hover fine when you first connect, it's only once you get into them that they start having the issue and then the issue persists until a restart.

Though whatever is causing it, it's making it pretty pointless playing the game with any planetary bodies until next week sadly.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  29. [segfault]*Choco Taco Trainee Engineer

I'm having the opposite problem where my ships hover so well with dampening on that they eventually don't even need to use the engines. I can even shut down all reactors/batteries and still remain locked above the ground.

30. c0d3n4m3 Trainee Engineer

This is happening for me also, on all my old ships that were able to hover absolutely fine before. I haven't played the game since wednesday, and then it was all working fine. Now, I get in a ship, and unless I keep tapping the space bar/holding it down, I'll fall continuously until I hit solid ground.

Incredibly, incredibly annoying! Here's hoping for a quick'ish fix.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.