Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.172 & 1.173] Constant game freeze

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Distman, Feb 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Distman Trainee Engineer

I get constant freezes/CPU spikes(?) that goes on for several seconds. Similar to what happens in creative from time to time. But now is happening every 5-10 seconds or so. Completely unplayable. Doesn't matter if i move or stay still, drill or not. Ran perfectly fine (well, maybe not perfect, but you know what i mean) a week ago. This is the first time I'm horribly disappointed at Keen's patches. Get your game on, in the name of science!

2. Kurazarrh Apprentice Engineer

Confirming and bumping this bug. It can render the game unplayable because it "holds" any input during the freeze--if I'm pressing Forward at the moment it freezes, then the game assumes I was holding forward for the entire duration of the freeze (which can be up to 7-10 seconds).

Opening the Task Manager in Windows shows that there are CPU spikes during these freezes, where SE is maxing out the CPU core it's running on for the duration of the freeze. GPU appears to be largely unaffected/not complicit in this issue.

3. Distman Trainee Engineer

After cleaning my save with SE Toolbox i got significant performance boost (freezes still happened, but much more rare). I cleaned up all floating objects, NPC ships, my old base on mars and a rover left on the planet as well.
    HOWEVER, after playing 20-30 minutes is more or less back to the same sorry state. I think there's something going on with cargo ships mechanics.

Clarification; for me time doesn't pass when the freezes uccur. Sure if i hold down i key when the freeze happens, it's still held when freeze is over, but i'm not moving during that time.

Non of these issues happen on Creative empty world. Will do some more research...

4. JTConsortium Apprentice Engineer

I have noticed this as well all of a sudden

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kurazarrh Apprentice Engineer

@Distman I've been having this issue in both SP and DS... when it happens in SP, time doesn't pass, and I don't move (like you said when you're pressing a key when the freeze occurs), but if I'm on MP/DS, it does. I assume that whatever in the game loop that's eating up my CPU causes the whole game to lag in SP, but on DS, the server doesn't hang at the same time.

I'll bump this thread occasionally until someone at KSH sees it, because this bug makes the game unplayable on DS for me, even though it's just mildly annoying in SP (for me, at least).

I don't know if it's related, but my SpaceEngineers.log file grew to a whopping 32MB and is filled with this spam:
    Code:
    2017-02-09 16:54:54.379 - Thread:  1 ->  Failed to create replicable ! Type : Sandbox.Game.Replication.MyTerminalReplicable
    2017-02-09 16:54:54.379 - Thread:  1 ->  Failed to create replicable ! Type : Sandbox.Game.Replication.MyTerminalReplicable
    2017-02-09 16:54:54.380 - Thread:  1 ->  Failed to create replicable ! Type : Sandbox.Game.Replication.MyTerminalReplicable
    2017-02-09 16:54:54.380 - Thread:  1 ->  Failed to create replicable ! Type : Sandbox.Game.Replication.MyTerminalReplicable
    2017-02-09 16:54:54.393 - Thread:  1 ->  Failed to create replicable ! Type : Sandbox.Game.Replication.MyTerminalReplicable
    2017-02-09 16:54:54.393 - Thread:  1 ->  Failed to create replicable ! Type : Sandbox.Game.Replication.MyTerminalReplicable
    2017-02-09 16:54:54.393 - Thread:  1 ->  Failed to create replicable ! Type : MyInventoryReplicable, Owner id: <inventory null>
    Aside from that, here's a short video of the bug in action. Freezes happen from 00:20-00:27, 00:28-00:35, 1:54-2:02, and 2:59-3:06.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Distman Trainee Engineer

Well, it does look related. It's spamming hundreds of fails every second, surely must not be great for gameplay.

7. GerScorpion Trainee Engineer

Same here! Before the thursday patch I had no problems at all but now, after 20-30 minutes in a world the game starts to drop the fps and sim-speed in a ridiculous way. HAd this issues a few weeks ago but was fixed. Please Keen, help us. What are we suppose to do with our time when we can't play Space Engineers.

8. punkatron Trainee Engineer

Was thinking I might be the only one! but it's happening continuously now, lag freezes of up to 10 seconds at times. I even quit some sessions as it got unplayable.

9. Kurazarrh Apprentice Engineer

@punkatron @GerScorpion @JTConsortium @Distman Can you all confirm whether or not your SpaceEngineers.log file is full of the spam I mentioned in post #5 above? (Go to your Start menu, type in %appdata%, go to Space Engineers, look for SpaceEngineers.log)

I need to do a little more investigation, but I suspect the culprit of the freezes + pegged CPU is when spaceengineers.exe opens and writes to the log file. The log isn't written continuously (to keep programs from thrashing the disk), so it's probably dumping to the log whenever it reaches a certain threshold (256 or 512KB, for instance). It probably starts out small (I usually don't see any freezes for the first 5 minutes), then as the file gets larger the freezes become noticeable until the game is unplayable.

It probably won't be tonight, but at some point I'll throw ProcMon and Resource Monitor up on my other screen and see if the freezes happen at the same time as disk activity, and see if I can prove that it's writing to the log.

10. Distman Trainee Engineer

@Kurazarrh I don't have the same type of spam you have in the log; "Failed to create replicable..."
    I do get a few of "Couldn't spawn drone; antenna is not in natural gravity but spawn location is." every second (with cargo ships/drones turned on) but not nearly as often as you get your messages.

Last night i cleaned my save with SE Toolbox and turned on creative and turned off drones/cargo ships/random events. But don't see any difference, still terrible. Ok at first but completely unplayable after a while.
    So it probably don't have anything to do with cargo ships, which i suspected at first.
    All this started happening when i got out of the planet into space. But could be just a coincidence.

Clarification: Doesn't matter if you travel fast in space (spawning in of asteroids and what not) or stay in one place. Hickups will happen just as often.

Do all of us play on Star System? Anyone having the same problems in empty world/asteroids only?

11. Lurch84 Trainee Engineer

I get occasional 1-4 second lock-ups as well in an asteroids only world (with and without cargo's) as well as a system world. I don't often have task manager up to monitor it, but yeah, cpu usage goes bonkers on the odd occasion I've had it on another screen.

12. Distman Trainee Engineer

Thanks for your two cents! @Lurch84

What troubles me is that it seem to only be affecting a minority of us. I see a few similar threads on this issue, but not many at all.
    CPU related? Mod related?

What are you guys using?
    I have an
    AMD 8-core 4 ghz
    64 bit OS
    32 gig ram
    Nvidia GTX 780

13. Lurch84 Trainee Engineer

Win10 64bit (is there even a 32bit version???)
    AMD FX-8300
    R9 380 4GB
    16GB

Not many people monitor their cpu usage (guessing) and probably put it down to lag/general bad performance of SE (there are frequent complaints in that regard yes?) (I've normally been happy with how it preforms myself).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Distman Trainee Engineer

15. scorcher24 Trainee Engineer

Negative. I have an Intel CPU and have the same. It might be AMD GPU though since i have a Sapphire Nitro RX480 with 8GB VRAM.
    I tested the last WHQL Driver 2016.12.2 and the current 2017.1.2 driver. Happens on both.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Distman Trainee Engineer

Shameless bump.

17. Nurdra Trainee Engineer

I have the same Problem... complete unplayable at the moment....

Friend of mine got the same problem.

We both have Windows 10 64bit.

Other Friend don't have these micro Freeze, and he still plays with Windows 7 64bit.

18. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

I have this spikes from time when directx11 jumped in. I remember if i switch to directx 9 the freezes are gone. From that time, i constantly have this spikes problem on every update.

They never listened...

19. Kurazarrh Apprentice Engineer

I don't think it's a hardware-related issue. Something in the game loop appears to be going bonkers. At least for me, it seems to coincide with the CPU attempting to open and write to the log, but it could also be general spam from that error (I don't really have a way to isolate those two events, the error and writing to the log).

For reference, and the reason I don't think it's due to specific hardware, is I'm running a blue/green setup:
    Intel Core i5-2500K @4.5 Ghz
    16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
    Asus Strix GTX 970

20. Kurazarrh Apprentice Engineer

21. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

haven't died from it yet.....but yeah it does happen quite frequently.

same when you access the build,inventory menu for the first time.....come in for a landing 1000m's on a planet surface aka when the trees and grass loads.

the best part is when you click it and the system mouse loading icon appears.....one more click and the system thinks the game has frozen.........then a few moments later the system closes the game. :)

up to 5-15 minutes of loading just for 2 whole clicks to instantly and perfectly close the game. :D
    almost like the system is trying to suggest something.

22. Distman Trainee Engineer

Any changes with the new dev build?

I just wished the devs would stop messing around with lensflares and shit and fix this game breaking bug! :mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Urablahblah Apprentice Engineer

It's possible that these type of bugs take longer to fix than a single or multiple weeks. Since they have committed to a weekly update schedule, they have to release simple things (mirrored wheels, lens flares, up arrow on lcds, etc.) as update "filler" while they continue to work on these longer-term fixes.

Or they could be lazy. That's possible too.

24. Distman Trainee Engineer

Yeah, i know. I guess i would be more at ease if some DEV came in here and just acknowledged this problem. "Hey, we know you're in pain but we are working on the problem. Hang tight!" something along those lines would be nice.
    Radio silence is always a bad sign...

25. VanStorm Trainee Engineer

I got those lags and freezes too from time to time. Still trying to figure out why and when it exactly happens.

I'm playing on this system:
    Windows 10 Professional x64
    Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.7 Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero VIII
    32GB DDR4-3200 RAM
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX SC+
    Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB

• Like Like x 1
  26. trav0370 Trainee Engineer

+1 me too on this one...

all - the -time. Scared to fly near my base, or say bye to it.

Intel 6700k
    Asus gtx 970 ti
    16 gb ram...
    SSD drive..

only this game does it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  27. Greyson_XMG Apprentice Engineer

Ditto on this problem. Happens exactly as described above. Completely chronic. Freezes destroying ships faster than I can make them.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Distman Trainee Engineer

Another bump

29. trav0370 Trainee Engineer

+1. This has become game-breaking for me. VERY frustrating.

To expand on my experiences...
    first 10-30mins seems ok MOST of the time. then it starts to do the freeze and quickly deteriorates from there.
    -Attempted to turn off antivirus, defender, firewalls, any other background application with no improvement.
    -Attempted various graphic settings one at a time trying to find a specific one causing the issue, no improvement.

please, please give this some love. it is the sole reason I get so mad at this game I literally rage quit after losing countless ships which took hours sometimes to make.

30. Apollon Trainee Engineer

+1
    After cleaning with ToolBox, freezing less.

Windows Server 2012 R2
    Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5
    16 GB RAM
    GTX 750Ti

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.