Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.181.0] Rotor displacement not saved in blueprint

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by ShaunWinchester, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. I23I7 ME Tester

Grindy if we fix this one are you 100% sure there wont be another nuisance on your mind :p

Reported as low priority issue.

2. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I'm sure I could think of a few things that causes me issues, most of which would really be trying to see how deep the rabbit hole runs.

Some things that I could report would probably not be fixable, or would make the programmers pull out hair...

3. I23I7 ME Tester

Frankly i like this thread

So give it a go.

4. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

In a brief few minutes inbetween lectures, i will atleast start with some of the physics issues/greivances that I tend to experience in my overall Clangy play sytle.

1) Phantom forces in Rotors - an issue found in any number of locations where you wish to have multiple rotors attached to the same sub grid.

As an example for repro lets keep it simple.

Place a block floating in space, put two opposed rotors on the block. using preferred method connect these two rotor tops to a single sub grid.

Expected result:

it will begin spinning despite no power on grid, and will not stop.

Workaround:

change the offsets to nullify, on small grids set BOTH rotors to +8mm (0.008 on slider), on large grid I think its -40cm (all the way on the left)

Possible fix: Find a way for havoc constraints to play nicer in the sandbox (something like a free displacement option on rotors so it can move freely)

I had a bunch typed here, but the forums timed out and didnt autosave...

Basically pistons suffer from similar issues, multiple pistons on a single sub grid cause it to spin, only super heavy mass or working in a gravity environment, can really help this. Only difference is that there is no valid work around for pistons.

Edit:

I would like to add something that I will call the sum of all zeroes not actually being zero.

On its own you can have 3 sets of rotor hinges. (think of like a crane boom set up)

A set of rotors on each end of the piston and one as a hinge. Each hinge by itself will not create any phantom force, however if you add the piston to the mix it will rotate with a hard phantom force.

Basically pistons are waaaaayyyy to sensitive to errors, I think something like a dead zone would help a great deal, considering it would only need to be like 1 to 2 mm tops

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  5. I23I7 ME Tester

Hey,

For the rotor issue i got to reproduce and reported it. The pistons i will have to have a look because i know for a fact that there are some changes on the way to pistons. I cannot say when as always but i will try the technique you mentioned.

Bump me here if i dont reply for a while but ill try to get back to you this week.

6. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

These types of comments always scare me the most tbh.... 9.99/10 times keen makes a chamge to pistons or rotors my stuff either explodes, spins violently, spins parts on random axis or just generally stops working...

7. I23I7 ME Tester

Send me the blueprints you want me to verify there :) That way we can avoid that ? Its the best i can offer you so you can have peaceful nights.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Nah I don't think that'll be needed, that'll likely hold up things for everyone else, if they're gonna break, they're gonna break.

You can by all means however use my stuff for stress testing, you can find lots of stuff on my workshop for friends (if you want to add me) or you can directly access using your dev account (I think)

If you want any specific examples for testing fixes for phantom forces I'd be more than happy to create some for you

9. I23I7 ME Tester

If you got some examples apart from "Put pistons against each other or make piston pass through grids via the missing head bug" i am all ears :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.