Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.184.200] [DS/MP] Massive lag and sim speed drop when welding/grinding/placing blocks

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by auge, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. e1ectron Trainee Engineer

Same. 2 players on the server. After ~20 minutes of active construction, the simulation speed begins to decrease. If you do not restart the server, everything freezes.

2. Byzod Trainee Engineer

Today I've experienced this lag in single player survival
    It becomes unbearable laggy when grinding/welding/placing block, after I finished building ~30 gatling turrets

I don't know what triggers this bug, but reload the game fix the problem, so far

3. RedPanda8732 Trainee Engineer

I have found out what causes this. I was welding a solar panel, which takes a while to weld, and the sim speed drop only happened when the model 'changed state', as in, you place it and it starts as a frame, and as you weld it the model becomes more built up until it is done. The sim speed drop only happens when it either gets 'built up' or is done. Hope this helps you find the problem

4. iAltonoj Trainee Engineer

I have been having the same problem in an off line game. I started my resource monitor to see what was going on and the game is adding to the cached memory with out you doing anything. It keeps adding until you have used up all your memory.

5. LhuanDula Trainee Engineer

Agreed,

But what's weird is that is the same for placing a block (just putting the frame). It may be considered as similar for the ingame engine.

Moreover, I notice a new symptom; Whenever the bug starts, it seems to also affect landing gears and connectors. Locking or unlocking landing gears decrease drastically and with the exact same symptoms the simulation speed of the server (i.e. sim speed droping sundely below .2 and then reestablishing).

As always, hoping this may help devs finding the reluctant function (probably a over-re-computation of the grid affected or a relunctant/forgotten destructor method..)

And devs, please keep us tunned as to the state of this issue (or revert back to the previous version if this can't be dealt with within a week).

Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Byzod Trainee Engineer

I forgot to mention, that's what happened to me too.
    I have a steady fps when not building anything. When build multi-stage blocks, armor block for example, the game ran like lag-smooth-lag-smooth-lag-smooth-lag (block built)
    --- Automerge ---
    I'm afraid this bug can't be reproduced that way, because reloading a save fix the bug (temporarily), so I suppose nothing is wrong when you load a bugged world/save (similar to a reloading)

I suppose this bug could be something rleated to runtime error, which doesn't affect save files

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I23I7 ME Tester

Hello,

So the QA is aware of this issue. We are currently working on resolving it. Thank you for the information,saves and logs and videos you shared with us to help us track this issue down.

:)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ilgmars Trainee Engineer

same here, second part of video is with ctrl+h

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mysteriousdots Trainee Engineer

i made my own post but its pretty much the same bug as in the videos shown here except mine occurs at random and not when using the tools.

10. scorpnoire Apprentice Engineer

+1, really annoying. Even if you play alone on a freshly started MP server.

On a sidenote: my conveyersystems start to act up when the lags start to occure. You have to hack the connected blocks once, to have it working again.
    Doing this accelerates the lagging and eventual crash though...dead lock.

11. I23I7 ME Tester

How much conveyor are you using if i may ask?

12. Milch Trainee Engineer

Hey there, created an account to help fixing this bug since it is breaking my friends and my experience in this game.
    We started on a planet in a star system and and the server is on my pc. As soon our base became a specific size it started lagging when i was building on the base. We decided to build a space ship to fly to the moon and build a second base there. Funnily when we came there we could play about hours of funny time without these lags appearing but as soon the base became a specific size again the lags appeared. since then i have to restart after every ~30 - 40 blocks i built. This is a game breaking bug since i can't fortify our base. We thought it may be the game itself and we kept switching things of and on like pirates and shit but that did nothing until we found out what the real problem was. I hope you can fix this soon since this is gamebreaking!

TL;DR: Built a base on a planet, lags appeared when the base became big. Flew to the moon and built a base, lags appeared when base became big again.

Hope this helps aswell!

E: My point was, that this has to do with grid size in your range.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. scorpnoire Apprentice Engineer

And once more since the forum ate my post:

Base Grid on Planet with Voxel contact:
    Base size 189 blocks, lags during building started from 175+ blocks upwards
    3x Connector, 14 Conv. Tubes, 3x Conv. Blocks, 1x Large Container, 1x Assembler, 1x MedBay, 1x OxyGenerator

Connected Grids:
    Large Ship A
    37 blocks
    1x Connector, 2x Conv. Tubes, 1x Conv. Block, 10x Welder, Cockpit

Large Ship B
    212 blocks
    12 Conv. Blocks, 1x Connector, 4x small Cargo, 1x Cockpit, 6x mixed Turrets, 1x MedBay, 1x OxyGenerator, 1x OxyTank, 1x Assembler, 1x Arc Furnace

Observed Examples:

Ship B & Ship A connected to base
    Placing/Grinding blocks on Ship B = lag
    Unlocking connector of Ship B = massive lag,
    after recovery placing/grinding same blocks on Ship B = nearly no lag.

Small Ship C connected to base
    got damaged, started to grind down (ca. 80+ blocks left) = lag
    lag stopped when down to 10-15 blocks and connector removed but
    immediatly reappeared when leftover blocks where accidentially separated (1x 2 blocks grid, 1x 7 blocks grid)
    after grinding away the 2 blocks lag went down again to 0.666 (was 1.0 before all and I was the only player on the server.)

Full recovery of servers only possible after restart.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Dazeuh Trainee Engineer

Me and my friends having the same problem, it becomes unplayable due to the amount of welding we need to do all the time.
    Grinding seems to cause memory overflows and crashing all our game clients.

15. Mister-G1 Trainee Engineer

I also have huge sim speed impacts.. For me the game freezes for 3 to 20 seconds when I run a script or connect a ship to a station.. Unplayable right now..

16. grayando Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Necroe Trainee Engineer

Just as with this
    The game is broken for my server completely and utterly unplayable.
    Please put a priority on fixing this so we can get back to enjoying this game.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jent Trainee Engineer

Hey Auge, our server is having similar problem and I did some testing. It appears to happen only when welding via projector when the projector is connected on one grid (the grid you are welding) and it is connected to another grid (the support ship or station) via Gear or Rotor trick. If you remove the gear, welding returns to normal.

It doesn't happen every time..but it does happen. Also found that if you are using a projector connected as described, but using Ship Welders..the ship welders will not weld anything when turned on. They act like the projection is not there.

Give it a try...I notice in your video you are connected via landing gear.

UPDATE on this - Connectors can also cause the problem. Just experienced it and fixed it by removing the connectors from the grid.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  19. Byzod Trainee Engineer

This bug is driving me crazy. Now I have to reload the game every 15~20 minutes, extremely annoying

20. Fallen_Tyrael Trainee Engineer

Just adding what my friends I have discovered regarding this bug. Last night I left the server running and normally (with our save) the server uses 1.5gig of memory. However I woke to find that a friend kept building though the sim speed drops till the server froze, I checked the server this morning and it was using 4.5gig of memory and was increasing despite no one being on or able to get on the server.

We also have been trying to test and pin down what maybe causing it and its seems to be almost everything! for example, I did nothing but place 300+ light armour blocks (unbuilt) on a planet station which caused a sim speed drop but ONLY when I tried placing more blocks, my friends were still able to build for a while without causing a single drop on the server. So as the drop seemed to attach itself to me I tried a client restart but that didn't work.

Placing more complex blocks like assemblers, oxygen gens, refineries, antennas, stuff like that's causes the drop to happen quicker.

Even just flying about in a small ship for a while then trying to build causes the issue.

Got to say in the 3 years I have been playing (on and off) I have never had to restart the SE DS so much as I have the last couple of days, its frustrating as hell! And I really really hope that if keen fixes this issue that they don't wait to deploy the fix till next Thursday because this is just totally game breaking.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. krypt-lynx Apprentice Engineer

W4stedspace mentioned on his stream what issue mush worse multiple players welding in different, distant locations.

22. xiojade Trainee Engineer

From what they said, it's something that has been an issue for a long time, but was covered over and hidden by other things. It's apparently something they need to dig deep to fix, and they said it'll be implemented with the next major release, so let's just give them a little time. They know about it, they know it's frustrating, they just need a little time and patience from us ^^ <3

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. JJayzX Trainee Engineer

Kinda messed up to let a game breaking bug fly by til crap hits the fan and now a bunch of people can't play and have to wait til next "major" release. How about release when done?

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. GameGibu Trainee Engineer

&lt;Argument&gt;We are the beta testers. The only difference between us and other beta testers is that the money went the other direction. They release updates as they see fit, they&apos;re the developers.
    Keen&apos;s model here is actually pretty brilliant, those among us who delve into the deeper reaches of the game find more obscure bugs, and furthermore may be able to understand them to some greater extent. In essence, they&apos;re training a whole bunch of players in the art of beta testing.&lt;/Argument&gt;

25. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

No point in complaining about the leaking pipe to your building manager, when they've already started trying to fix the pipe.

• Agree Agree x 4
  26. wagner Apprentice Engineer

I did have this in an buged corrupted savegame ( because my hd run out of space at the time ).
    Starting an new game fix it, did you tried it ?

27. luke79 Trainee Engineer

This basically makes the game unplayable - even if you try and save + quit when the simulation starts to lag there's a good chance your save file will be corrupted.

28. Vincey Trainee Engineer

I've been having this problem for the last few days across several savegames, including completely new ones. For me it only appears on Stations (all of mine are attached to asteroids/mars, none are free-floating). Seems that the cause really are the connectors, as Jent posted above. I just welded a wall on my mars base until the sim speed dropped to 0.3, then took down both connectors on the grid. Now my fps are back at Vsync cap (60) and sim speed is 0.98-1.02, mostly stable at exactly 1.00.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  29. Fallen_Tyrael Trainee Engineer

That's odd because on our current DS we haven't had a corrupt save (yet) despite multiple restarts/shutdowns :/

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. I23I7 ME Tester

Still working out other corner cases for this issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding!

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.