Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.186.4 to 186.5] MEMORY LEAK

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Tigerstripe, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Tigerstripe Apprentice Engineer

Since the 186.4 update, I've noticed my game is displaying all the symptoms of a serious memory leak.

On launch, it will eat about a third of the CPU and 40% of the RAM memory (I have 16GB).
    CPU usage stays the same, but the RAM consistently rises higher and higher over time.
    Two hours in, it's typically at 80%.
    By three hours, I'm hitting 93%.

By that point, the game is having serious lag spikes every few seconds. Voxels stop loading correctly... sometimes showing gaping holes in their textures, but usually just reverting to a level of tessellation/LOD more appropriate for a viewer a few kilometers away. Grass and trees also vanish.

Trying to exit to the main menu at such a high RAM burn state often freezes the whole game, so badly that the entire computer needs a hard manual reset.

I did not observe these problems during the 186.3 version.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. davidscott23 Trainee Engineer

hello
    I have had the very same problem more so when mining i have 16GB ram and the only way to stop the over flow is to close the game in the task manager window then i see my rom drop from 90 to 99% full to round 10% it driving me mad hope there is a fix soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tigerstripe Apprentice Engineer

bump for 186.5

4. C3ntron Trainee Engineer

Here actually the same. I see it mostely in SP, on DS with a sync distance of 3km it seems less of an issue.
    I even had some crashes at a 100% memory usage (+even swap). It also let some other applications crash.

5. pilfit Trainee Engineer

Same problem here. It gets really bad when doing allot of mining. Take a large mining ship and do some right click stone clearing and watch the ram use skyrocket.

6. Zhiila Tester Staff

Hi, we know about this.

We are planning a lot of optimizations and voxels are big part of it.

If you know about some specific actions which cause big hit to performance, just post it here and we will look into it.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  7. gornyakmaniac Apprentice Engineer

AAAND still no progress!
    Entire month is gone and playing on weak PCs is still hell with restarts every 30 minutes when you play on planets.

8. Foogs Apprentice Engineer

@Zhiila Any progress? im very angry, cant play on planets. Memory usage going to 100% and game crashed "Out of memory".
    What does se team do, drink Czech beer? :D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  9. Roxette Senior Engineer

I would have guessed Becherovka but not before lunchtime ;)

10. Pasudomoyka Trainee Engineer

Shortly - same problem.

11. ibn Trainee Engineer

same here

12. Didalus Trainee Engineer

When it will be fix? At least approximately.

13. Zhiila Tester Staff

I can't tell when the fix is going to be released but it will be in the next Major update. I was hoping we will release the update until end of this month but now I am afraid it will be even later. (I am really just guessing, it is not an official information. It hasn't been decided yet.)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sipowicz Trainee Engineer

Hello started running a Dedicated server for our gaming community. Just wanted to say I've also noticed this memory leak. Other than restarting the server not sure what else we can do about it. Looking forward to a fix. At the moment memory seems to climb 1GB ever hour or so.

15. Roxette Senior Engineer

The issue referred to in this thread is a client one. I don't see a constant memory leak of that magnitude on my server even with a bunch of mods, only seems to be an intermittent problem related to some incidents or activities and generally only needs a daily restart, as has almost always been the case.

16. Sipowicz Trainee Engineer

Oops :p

In that case, does anyone here have any suggestions on where to start with memory leaks? The world is only a few days old, It runs 5 planet MODS, a Sky-box MOD, and then the Admin Helper MOD.

I'm brand new at dedicated servers for Space engineers. Maybe some here might have a pointer or two before i scour the forums later today after work :woot:

17. sock Trainee Engineer

Same problem here with dedicated server.
    It'runs on Windows Server 2012 standard, even if nobody is connected (gameserver is configured to be in suspended mode then), RAM grows and is never freed, and only around 2Gb or RAM is freed when the process end (or is killed).
    The only solution is to reboot OS to free the rest of RAM.

Please note that it happens even if no client connected on gameserver (even since the reboot), and game client is never started from the server (no 3D cards). It's then not a "client issue" on this point. It does that independantly if there are mods or not, users or not, suspended mode or not.

RAM grows at a rate of 1Gb per hour (approx). Though, it goes a bit faster if there are mining actions or landing/launching ship between planets and space.

Moreover, I noticed that stopping service properly after several hours running doesn't stop the process even after several hours of waiting, during that moment the game is still open. The only solution is then to kill it (and it stops then very fast).
    My configuration is on core i7 server (first generation) with 16 GB RAM, console and RDP access. There is no 3D card, no directX (as far as I know) and run as AD server.
    Game has been installed by steam (but only dedicated server can be launched.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.