Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.186.5] Parking brake causing ground vehicles to explode.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Auhrii, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Auhrii Apprentice Engineer

Doesn't matter if you're in single player, local server or a dedicated server (though the problem is more common in MP/DS). Completely vanilla game, tested with multiple rovers in different wheel configurations. Activating the parking brake causes rapid unplanned disassembly of the vehicle seemingly at random. Destruction occurs on voxels and station blocks, with major collateral damage.

[ ROVER BLUEPRINT ]

Reproduction:
    1. Spawn attached blueprint or construct own rover.
    2. Activate parking brake.
    3. Wait, rejoin or keep moving away from and back towards the rover. Issue occurs at random.
    EDIT: Forum search only brought up other threads after this was posted. Please could a moderator merge or delete this thread?

2. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

i believe its somehow related to how voxel quality changes based on distance.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Auhrii Apprentice Engineer

I'm not so sure - I had a few of my rovers parked on station blocks when they exploded. They were still close to the ground, mind you, so I suppose it's still a possibility.

4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I may be absolutely wrong about this, but my experience is that the vehicle’s parking brake should never be set if the vehicle is moving at all. When I’ve set the parking brake for a vehicle that is still moving, if even slightly, or on a hill where there’s still torque on the wheels, the vehicle will explode more often than not. I’ve never had a vehicle explode when I’ve allowed it to stop completely before setting the brake. Maybe the parking brake and residual torque fight each other until it Clang rears its ugly head. Dunno...

5. Rambo-CZ Trainee Engineer

same problem

6. Auhrii Apprentice Engineer

That makes it entirely useless as a brake then, seen as it's impossible to tell the difference between minor desync and actual movement. Every time I've used the parking brake, I've been as sure as I possibly could be that my rover was on a flat surface and completely still. All my rovers still exploded.

7. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Like I said, I may be completely wrong about the cause.

8. Spikeone Trainee Engineer

I only created an account to answer to this post. I can confirm, that this happens regardless of the surface the vehicle is standing on but always if a park break is used. First I thought this was caused by me unloading the vehicle which made it lighter but then again my vehicle just jumped away as I hopped out to loot an unknown signal.

So I think this happens randomly when parking a vehicle using park break.

9. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Well, there you go...randomly random.

10. Tesseract5 Trainee Engineer

Well to me it happened with parking brake enabled and disabled, tested with multiple Blueprints.
    As a Hotfix, please consider re-adding the safety lock for wheels.
    Since this - obviously - makes planet survival scenarios unplayable, please fix this asap!

11. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

While I agree the "bug" needs to be addressed, I have rarely played a planet survival scenario where I build a wheeled vehicle. Why roll when you can fly?

12. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I almost always build wheeled things when i land. it takes alot of power to get a flying machine up and a rover uses less than a single solar panel of power to get moving.
    its not the fastest or safest mode of movement but it can get you around if your jetpack has run dry and theres neither ice or 02 generator around.
    plus its way more fun and puzzling at times when you have to think about how you're going to get around this awkward rocky mountain

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Spikeone Trainee Engineer

Same here - it's fun to build a vehicle - which then doesn't work the way you want it to. Building spacecrafts is easier, I mean you can just land on / next to / under a connector. A vehicle may drive on a connector when empty but then is unable to leave it.

But for the problem itself: I turned on the handbreak 2 times (yeah forgot it was buggy) and my vehicle always exploded when a new unknown signal spawned. Maybe someone else made the same experience?

14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I gave up after the first few I built randomly 'sploded for no apparent reason.

15. Arcturus Senior Engineer

*Precisely* when the unknown signal loot pod spawned, or was it when you flew off to look at the signal and came back to a wrecked vehicle?

16. blkandwhtlion Trainee Engineer

Still happening today. I hope they fix this. I got two explosions, one from parking break as mentioned previously, and another when I grinded the initial landing gear the car was on. I ground from bottom to top like a YouTube video showed me, only his landed safely and mine exploded killing my character in the process.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.