Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.85.501] Can't Type Into The Terminal UI

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by aikiwolfie, Dec 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. aikiwolfie Trainee Engineer

I'm having a lot of trouble renaming blocks and typing into the terminal UI in general.
    • The problem seems to be fairly specific to fields that allow the user to enter data that will be saved. So the block's name field, custom data, group names and button names on button panels.
    • Search boxes work perfectly fine though?
    • This bug also seems to be fairly intermittent.
    To reproduce the bug:
    1. Open the terminal and select a block to rename.
    2. Select the name text box. It makes no difference if you select all the text or just place the cursor in the text box.
    3. Try to type something. If the bug is present you will not be able to type anything or paste anything.
    4. Pressing the arrow keys on the keyboard will also move to the next item on the UI.

I have ruled out:
    • My hardware. It's not my PC, mouse or keyboard. They work fine with the game in all other respects and with other applications. I'm using the exact same hardware to type this post.
    • My current game world? I've seen this bug crop up on new and old worlds.
    • Mods. The bug manifests with and without mods loaded. Without mods meaning a completely vanilla world.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Foogs Apprentice Engineer

same

3. Thrak Junior Engineer

Since a few updates ago, the mouse pointer needs to remain in close proximity to the text box in order to allow typing. Is this what you're experiencing?

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. kgober Trainee Engineer

Text boxes work for me as long as I keep the mouse pointer inside the text box. It seems like moving the mouse pointer outside the box causes the box to lose keyboard focus. Clicking the text box is not 'sticky' for keyboard focus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ironviper42 Trainee Engineer

I have the same problem if I highlight the name of the block to copy and paste somewhere else. I reloaded the game and it went away but would come back intermittently.

6. aikiwolfie Trainee Engineer

It could be. I just saw that mentioned in a video on YouTube. Why would they implement this? It is utterly stupid. SE is a Windows game. Keen have thus far refused to support any other platform. I know of no other Windows based software that works like this.

Even on UNIX/Liunx OS's that have this sort of mouse-over selection enabled. It's generally enough to mouse-over the application window.

7. gerbilOFdoom Trainee Engineer

Have you tried clicking on the text box twice? I've found that the first click highlights the box and the second click focuses it for input.

8. kgober Trainee Engineer

It seems like moving the mouse into the panel on the left side (the list of blocks) or the one on the right side (group name, etc.) is what makes keystrokes stop working in a text box. putting the mouse anywhere in the center panel (block attributes) is ok -- it is not necessary to actually keep the pointer inside the text box to be able to type into it.

I see this problem most frequently in the block name text box, since this is really the only place where I type text other than naming entities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thrak Junior Engineer

i doubt this was intentional. It started happening when they implemented a fix for another issue... I think a scrolling issue, but I don't recall specifics. Anyway, regardless of accident vs. intention, I agree it does not conform to how most people use an interface: Users typically select a text box and then move the mouse pointer out of the way so they can see what they're typing. Currently, if one moves the pointer too far... you can't type the text properly.

There are a few other buggy things going on with the UI currently. For example, when I type text into the Custom Data popup and hit ENTER at the end of the line, it will insert an extra carriage return (jumping two lines down) on occasion. I've had this happen with two different keyboards, in fact.

None of these are a game-breaking bug, but they are annoying and impact the enjoyment of the game. I can understand that they're not high priority fixes, but hopefully the devs will acknowledge and eventually correct these issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. hlws Tester Staff

Hi guys,
    thank you very much for your feedback. The issue has been reported :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.