Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[128-011] [ds] Player walking and running now tied to SSS

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by demolish50, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. demolish50 Senior Engineer

Unsure if intentional. Title says everything.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  2. Kham Apprentice Engineer

I made a video of this yesterday to demonstrate the issue. In this video I am sprinting... not that you'd know it.
    It also affects mouse turning speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. demolish50 Senior Engineer

I didn't have my server up at all, cause the inventory stuff, so I did not get to see this bug.

Uggggggggggg

I wonder if Carlton Banks knows about this. Maybe him and Will can figure this out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Moredice Apprentice Engineer

Yep, same issue. The top speed of ships have long been synchronized with the SSS, but the last update affected players as astronauts too.
    My movement speed while walking in gravity or jetpacking around fluctuates slightly depending in the SSS.

I can't even always fly around normally with my jetpack anymore on Earth, sometimes I can't even leave the ground even if I face directly up,
    and I can carry more inventory than my server is set to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thales M. Senior Engineer

Welding, grinding and possibly drilling speed is now tied to SSS too. :(

6. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Great... so all of the recent "improvements to multiplayer" have culminated in them killing it completely. Yay.

7. Moredice Apprentice Engineer

Yes, so is jumping. I occasionally jump around in a 1 G environment as if it was lunar gravity (0.25 G).

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, here's another vid to demonstrate which I just took on our DS of me sprinting and jumping in a 1 G environment.

9. henkbein Apprentice Engineer

Also confirmed in SP.

10. Neffarion Apprentice Engineer

Same bug. Dedicated server

11. demolish50 Senior Engineer

uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

that is all.

12. demolish50 Senior Engineer

I can confirm that jet packs are virtually worthless now inside natural gravity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jockomo Trainee Engineer

Why Keen? Why? You supposed to be fixing the bugs, not multiplying them.

14. Shanjaq Trainee Engineer

This is happening on our server, and since sim speed took a nosedive from 0.4 to 0.02 it's utterly unplayable

15. Shabazza Junior Engineer

I guess it's intended and the first measure for fixing weird MP effects.
    They probably linked movement to SS to get rid of glitching and warping.
    And the next step I imagine is optimizing the game to actually keep that sim speed at 1.0.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Shanjaq Trainee Engineer

This is so annoying because I SAW keen swim-walking through their server on twitch and they DIDN'T NOTICE IT! I'm not touching SE until this is fixed.

17. striker_lord Apprentice Engineer

Ooh! Important question on my part.
    in the video of @Neffarion you see the Server Sim Speed in the later part of the video, the Sim speed keeps bobbing up and down.
    Is this something EVERY dedicated server experiences even in low populated servers?

I noticed this behaviour a long time ago, and i suspected my own hardware for being part of the cause, but i am realy curious if other dedicated servers show the same behaviour.

18. demolish50 Senior Engineer

I think they did, just elected to not say anything. Just my two cents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kham Apprentice Engineer

I sincerely hope you're wrong, because if not then our world is now completely unplayable and there's simply no more reason to play the game for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gornyakmaniac Apprentice Engineer

I can confirm both issues - walking speed bug and useless jetpack, on my DS.

Completely agree with Kham, I don't know why they link all of this to SS if they do, and hope that this isn't truth. There will be no good multiplayer any time if game can be killed just by temporary SS decrease, when smb crashes his very large ship into voxels or any other (thousands of them) way.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  21. MacinTrash Trainee Engineer

just wanted to add that on a server my brother and i play (we're the only 2 so very low population) 8 gigs of ram and like 4 cores dedicated to it (doesn't even use more than 4 most of the time) the server sim speed fluctuates between on the high end at .95 sometimes 1.0 down to .1 or less sometimes, and jetpack flight and walking/running/sprinting are incredibly unbearably slow when the SSS goes down to less than .5, to top it off it fluctuates so regularly we cannot exceed 20 m/s, same goes with ships as well, o and to add to this on a frequent basis we die randomly, usually when we are headed to a block at a SSS of less than .5 and we're close to the block we're headed to, it's like the server thinks we were going too fast and slammed into it, i have yet to find a bug report of this nature so i will start a new one just for that, but i think it's related to the SSS and walking/jetpack speeds

22. demolish50 Senior Engineer

This makes me sad.

23. Malohkan Trainee Engineer

The DS I'm on, last week, was at a constant 1.0 Sim Speed. This week, even when I'm on by myself standing still I'm lucky if it breaks 0.5. I'm experiencing all the bugs people are talking about here as well. I also have a cargo ship I normally use to ferry things to/from the surface. It can carry an extra 2Mkg up and down easily. Now with the sim speed tied to everything, I can't even come close to getting back to space even with an empty cargo hold. This bug breaks practically every part of the game!

24. striker_lord Apprentice Engineer

To all, im glad for the response from @MacinTrash , this means the Server Sim speed fluctuates on your server as well, im still curious as to how far this behaviour goes on other servers (global issue or pinpointed on specific servers).
    Im starting to suspect a threading issue where the engine (somehow) doesn't know to which core to send the thread, or there are wait lines cropping up to the core that's handeling the game threads (it's still barely capable of multithreading).
    Ill configure a perfmon to monitor the CPU wait times.... will take me a bit but it might give some more insight.

On the multithreading subject, i did notice that some actions are handled by other cores like saving the game, new users joining and some of these actions which is good!

To everyone, i would suggest reading up on this topic about multithreading, this could give some pointers where you could experiment to increase game performance.
    keep in mind that setting the DS to 1 core will increase the SSS but will introduce longer "no message from server..." responses when players join.
    also, if you run on a server that has hyperthreading enabled, disable it in your BIOS settings! this will give the DS access to a lot more CPU power since it can not distribute game threads over multiple cores!

the fact that the object speed is bound to the SSS prevents some issues, but i agree on the fact that it's introducing playability issues, getting out of atmosphere with hydrogen is a nightmare when your ship keeps dropping it's speed because of the dropping Sim speeds.
    Therefore we need to do what we can to stabalise the SIM speed, let me know if anyone finds a good method, right now our server is running "ok" but still experiences the drops.

25. Martooth Trainee Engineer

I can confirm the constant slowmotion walking/running/jetpacking and ship speeds on our dedicated server.

26. Kham Apprentice Engineer

Our server world has been unplayable for two weeks now. The .127 patch dropped our SSS from 0.7-1.0 down to 0.2-0.3 and it hasn't gone above 0.3 since then (made a thread about that here). With the .128 patch tying character movement to SSS I just can't even walk on the server any more, let alone use my jetpack.

27. Malohkan Trainee Engineer

Something just occurred to me that hadn't been mentioned before: SSS being linked to everything is very much the way Eve does things to handle when an area has too much going on to process in real time. However in their case, it affects EVERYTHING, so that it's really just a time-scaled version of events. In SE's case, sim speed slows down some things, but not all. Mainly, I think Keen missed gravity. If the effect of gravity were also linked to SSS, then it would all even out and you could still rise in your jetpack, it would just be slower. Ships could still take off like they used to, it would just take longer.

28. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Welcome to improvements... Keen-style.

29. Kham Apprentice Engineer

I'm not sure it's all down to gravity, there is something very bizarre going on here. I've been slowly removing huge chunks of my world to try and restore sim speed above 0.3 and I've been testing the character speed and jetpack usage as I go.
    I've managed to restore sim speed to around the 0.6 mark and movement is still severely hampered and even in space, where gravity does not apply, I can't move in my jetpack. Here's a video I just made of me actively trying to move in space with a jetpack, even the dampeners do nothing to try and stop me when I take my fingers off the keys.

30. Malohkan Trainee Engineer

Kham there's a separate issue I think, from before this absolutely horrible patch, where a sharp dip in sim speed would cut your velocity to 0m/s in space. It might be happening there as sim speed is so in flux now.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.