Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[131] DS Character glitching and snapping - Video

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by demolish50, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. demolish50 Senior Engineer

After I turn fast and stop it glitches back and forth rapidly on its own.

2. demolish50 Senior Engineer

I'm shocked people are willing to play like this.

3. XkyDiver Apprentice Engineer

Your Client Sim Speed is 1.0, while your Server Sim Speed is .6 or so--I'm fairly certain that's what's the problem. Your client is turning your character a wee bit faster than the client, and so by the time the two come to terms with what's happening, you get a small stutter.

As the netcode continues to evolve, I'd imagine little stutters like this would be smoothed over in some sort of latency compensation buffer or something technical sounding. :)

For now, however, see what you can do about helping your Server Sim Speed get back towards 1.0! Maybe remove some floating objects, get rid of some trash, or otherwise reboot the machine the server is running on?

4. Jeff Clark Trainee Engineer

What is going on? been gone for a week. Come back to see that there's no mention of the unplayable netcode in the last update video... am I missing something? Dedicated server population is down by like 70% for a reason. I thought it would be reverted by now, or is this netcode really the future (=death) of the game?

5. Lithorn Trainee Engineer

I have this same issue
    I am attributing it to the camera fix they did to stop the view from thrusting forward through your helm. No more of that but now it seems like the view snaps.. oddly at times

6. Hash_Cookie Trainee Engineer

Yeah i can agree on this. but it beats what we had to deal with for the last two weeks. Its a new system that they're working on, and my fingers are crossed tight they smooth out some of these dire issues soon.

7. demolish50 Senior Engineer

Yeah, I have no idea how people can play MP ATM. I can't.

8. XkyDiver Apprentice Engineer

It all seems to work great when there's just one person on the server... (which defeats the point of multiplayer entirely). Even two players causes a lot of jitters, and three is just bizarre. :\

9. Malohkan Trainee Engineer

Even with only me on a DS, the "jitters" I see are usually much worse than what this video shows actually. Try testing with a server that's higher ping, like 150+ and you'll see madness.

10. demolish50 Senior Engineer

no change on 132

11. Prescott Freyd Senior Engineer

Hey guys.

Thanks for the reports, as always. If you could provide the save files of the worlds where the issue occurs, if it is reproducible, that would help us a lot.

Regards,
    PF

12. demolish50 Senior Engineer

Every server that I join does it, it's not isolated to any one server. Everyone I talk to also experience it.

13. demolish50 Senior Engineer

Same in 133. However seems to be a little better when jetpacking, but walking is the same.
    --- Automerge ---
    nope not really, its still completely messed up

14. Malohkan Trainee Engineer

Just as bad today as it's ever been. Play on any DS where you have 150 ping or higher and the Server Sim Speed is below 0.7. You will absolutely see this. I'm standing still and every few seconds it either rotates me back and forth like I'm having a seizure, or turns on my jetpack for me because I'm apparently too unstable standing on the planet station. Walking or jetpacking is nearly impossible. I really don't think this has anything to do with a particular thing in a save file, but more to do with the ping and sim speed. People on my server who have more like a 50 ping are able to move about much more easily.

15. woodster Trainee Engineer

I've not been playing SE ever since the character movement was moved to server side due to this exact issue. I'm waiting so badly for this to be fixed as I really miss playing SE!

I run a lot of mods on my DS and thought maybe they were causing the issue, but even on a brand new, virgin world created from the 'star system' base world and absolutely no mods at all, the problem still occurs. So there's no need to provide saves of worlds since it happens "out of the box".

What I can comment on, is that I and another friend who lives nearby don't really get the wobbly camera issue, only very occasionally. Another friend of mine who plays from overseas (I'm in Canada and he's in the UK), he gets it constantly and to a point where it is totally unplayable for him, way worse than the above video even! Therefore, we no longer play SE as we want to play multiplayer. Also of note, it happens on non-DS when you are hosting and others connect from remote.

Before people blame my setup, we never had this problem ever, before the client movement went to server side. here are the hardware stats too.

Server:
    Intel i7-2600k Quad core @ 3.4GHz
    16GB RAM
    Windows 10 64bit
    120GB SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560ti

My PC:
    Intel i7-4700k Quad Core @ 3.5GHz
    16GB RAM
    Windows 10 64bit
    2x 240GB SSD RAID 0
    Nvidia GTX-980

Friend's PC:
    Intel i7-4700k Quad Core @ 3.5GHz
    16GB RAM
    Windows 10 64bit
    500GB HDD
    Nvidia GTX-780

My Network Connection: 100Mbps Cable
    Friend's Network Connection: 24Mbps ADSL

If I remember correctly, he has a ping of about 150ms which isn't too terrible considering the distance.

What it looks like to me is that the server is also processing the angle and position of the client's camera, hence after panning you get the wobble effect as the client and server are out of sync on camera position. The server really should only be processing character position and rotation, not client camera position.
    Also of note here is that the problem doesn't really happen while the jet-pack is on. You need to have the jet-pack off and I'm not sure if first or third person view affects things.

Hopefully that is enough information for Keen to go on.

Please fix it soon!!! I really miss SE :(

P.s. If Keen would like someone at their office to connect to my server, PM me and I'll give details.

16. Malohkan Trainee Engineer

With Patch 01.134 running, I gave this another try. The SSS is between 0.7 and 0.95, my ping is stable at around 130. Simply walking around on a planet station results in random activation of my jetpack as I'm bouncing. All previous complaints still remain problems. I confirmed it's buggy in a stable and motionless large space ship as well.

17. demolish50 Senior Engineer

All you have to do is look at the server list in steam. Check out the player counts. Very few people are playing MP. It's pathetic.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.