Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

3-stage rocket to orbit

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Neotician, Feb 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Neotician Apprentice Engineer

I love both Kerbal space program and Space Engineers, and i thought i'd bring them together a bit, by tinkering a little with the games max speed and gravity!

[​IMG]
    Link to save:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1667664789

So, i made a 3 stage rocket, which is able to semi-automatically (you still have to stage manually) make it to a ~20km orbit, which seems to be stable!

The first 2 stages are boosters, with the 2nd stage having an overriden gyro, ensuring correct ascend path (assuming the pilot stages immediatly) and the second stage will also have achieved the orbit once its out of fuel, the 3rd stage is essentially inserted into the orbit without having to expend its own resources.

I made a video of it launching into orbit, and making one complete orbit.
    I do talk a lot in the clip tho, sorry about that!

To make this possible I modified my save to give the planet 1.5g gravity, and a "1" gravityfalloff (compared to the normal 7, meaning that the gravity is reduced more slowly with increasing altitude).
    I also modified my Environment.sbc to increase max speed, to 2000 m/s

This is also why the craft is shared as a savegame, instead of a blueprint; the gravity changes are changes to the savefile and not the game itself.

It could be done without the gravity increase, but it just fit with my crafts mass/fuel/thrust relationship, and was much easier to do than balance those.

I've kinda "fallen" for the idea of more conventional rocketry in SE, i might mess around with it more; Launch a sattelite to orbit, perhaps automate it, assemble a space station, stuff like that!

• Like Like x 2
  2. odizzido Junior Engineer

that's neat. I think if hydrogen were much more expensive that stuff like that would become more valuable which could also be cool as it would be designed in a practical way too

3. OrwellianHaggis Trainee Engineer

Very cool, I like!

4. odizzido Junior Engineer

Actually now that I am thinking about it, if hydrogen were expensive like it is in real life people would probably mount detachable atmo thrusters. A (very cool) bonus if you made it so they would auto pilot back to base and land. It would make space launches a lot cheaper.

5. Neotician Apprentice Engineer

Pretty neat idea! I'd have to look up vector math, since i don't know much of it, but it should be doable with the info available to the programmable block!
    I'd probably need to reduce the weight of the booster so i woldn't have to cover it in atmo thrusters, and in turn reduce hydrogen thruster thrust and fuel to maintain realistic-looking thrust and duration.

It would definitely be a challenge, and it's definitely going to be a project at some point ^_^

6. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

Really REALLY cool!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.