Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

A cool way for multiplayer to work

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Kylar_Reed, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kylar_Reed Trainee Engineer

I saw something similar to this mixed with another much bigger thread, but it was kinda drowned out. So here it is:
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    You start in your own little asteroid field with your buds or alone or whatever. This little world will be hosted by you or one of your friends be it on a home pc or in a private server.

You spend time building your ships and stuff together untill you decide HEY! I want to go and explore stuff!

So you build a new component into one of your ships (Lets call it a long range navigation array). This component would then let you find new areas of interest in space (Lets you browse servers) and travel to them.

So you pick an area with a few other ship signatures detected (Number of players) and punch it. You get there and see a few other ships, you can chat/fight/trade/ whatever you want really.

Then you can head back to base after buisness is concluded and do whatever you want.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Ok so for a player to travel to another server his world would have to share characteristics with that world. For example, survival can only travel to survival, creative to creative. (Survival being more complex with inventory sizes and such).

A players personal world would be smaller then the large steam hosted worlds.

A players world would only allow players to travel to it by said players concent (This would stop the whole offline griefing thing people seem to not like).

Idealy a players (Survival) world would not have cargo ships and would only have say 2 asteroids and one starter ship (Yellow bath tub thing). This would make it of benifit to players to go to other systems, explore and interact!

In conclusion

I know this multiplayer model is ambitious. But a multiplayer system like this would make space engineers multiplayer epic! It would make playing online feel so much more like playing in one BIG world.

It would also address the problem of spending so much time building a big ship in survival and having it confined to one small world. With this system you could travel through servers displaying your creation actually use those systems and mechanisms you have been making in a dynamic environment.

2. rathalos Trainee Engineer

I like it.

3. Restoon Trainee Engineer

Yeah. When I said that (except some different details), mostly noone like it. Okay, My English is really bad and I use too many words. And details. No cool promo words. But yes, I want this too.

4. Ash87 Senior Engineer

I'd rather not, simply because I travel to one world and see a hyper organized set of bases with people running to and fro... I log onto another world, and someone has built a mile long pixel art clown penis.

I'd rather just have dedicated servers be separate, instead of shoe horning in this semi-MMO approach that seems like it relies on everyone operating on the honor system for it to work. Different servers will have different rules and tones. Stepping between them would be frustrating.

5. Restoon Trainee Engineer

As I said, I have some different opinion at details. Only friends can visit one another's worlds, only public servers are open for public. Meet on public server, get friends, visit friends (do bad things on friend's server\world and flew out from friendslist, no more visit this world).

Main idea is good. Details must be worked on.

6. Conradian Moderator

I think this could work, but you can only connect to worlds that choose to link together, and instead of being able to just fast travel, connected servers form a grid, so that reaching the edge of yours puts you into your neighbour's server. A starmap would be necessary for navigating this potential maze of servers of course.

7. Restoon Trainee Engineer

Any starmap will be worse, than just virtual markers. If you use any strictly positioned system, your friends can be settled in a few parsecs from you, so you never reach them. If you want reach (and become reachable) someone - it's better place his marker in random direction in some reasonable range. Anyway, you want be in contact with your friend more, than find new friends in range. In other words, if you want someone as your friend, in case with virtual markers you will anyway in reasonable range, with starmap - no. People you like are more important, than their position on map, no?

8. Hatchie Apprentice Engineer

It sounds great! Even tho I proposed different multiplayer mode I like this one aswell. I think it's important that devs rather give us tools to manage multiplayer games and players can play it differently as they like.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.