Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

A more extensive window poll

Discussion in 'General' started by DDP-158, Feb 21, 2016.

?

What is your window preference?

1. Revert to old windows

37.1%
  2. Keep the new windows

2.9%
  3. Give us both windows with a mouse scroll option

50.5%
  4. None of the above

5.7%
  5. Remove the window tint

4.8%
  6. Allow the color palette to change the tint

43.8%
  7. Leave the glass colors as is

6.7%
  8. Other

5.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Back when I was a desk jockie I came into possession of a book called how to lie with statistics. The book is basically a comprehensive guide on how to read, interpret, or modify statistics until it says what you want it to say. Having noted that, we tend to not want yes/no polls because it pigeon holes options and forces people to choose a lesser of 2 evils. I've read some of the responses and have decided to increase the size of the poll and include more options.

This poll is a multi pick poll. I would prefer you choose something from the top half and something from the bottom but it's up to you what you want to pick. Below is a list of descriptions of each option.

Revert to old windows - I do not care for the new windows, please change it back to the old.

Keep the new windows - I did not care for the old windows, keep the new ones.

Give us both windows with a mouse scroll option - I like both windows; I can make luxury craft look luxurious and industrial craft look industrious.

None of the above - make a new window and show us for approval.

Remove the tint - I do not like my windows being one way viewable.

Allow the color pallete to change the window tint with an option for none - allow the palette to paint the glass as a secondary color to the rim or remove the rim color changer and apply it to the glass. Put in an option for clear.

Leave the glass colors as is - no removal or additions to the current models.

Other - if you have another idea, please post below.

Remember, 2 options to pick. Feel free to discuss below your feelings on the subject.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Remove window tint, keep the scratches but make the coverage a bit lower maybe.

90% of the visibility issues to do with the new glass texture appears to be something wonky with how it responds to light.

3. Clunas Junior Engineer

I selected other and mouse wheel. I think the scratched up windows would make wonderful damage states if they chose to implement them that way. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind them as an option via scrolling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Revert to old is my first preference.

I feel that adding the scroll functionality is way beyond the scope of this debate as it's a feature needed for the whole game not just windows but that, along with the choice that it could then offer, would be my absolute preference.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. KissSh0t Master Engineer

What if Keen are just half way implementing a new feature of aged looking glass for crashed derelict ships on planets for survival mode and next week we all look silly :woot:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

If only Keen had some kind of, i dunno, official Keen forums or something, to communicate that if it was the case....

I voted ''Option'' and ''Color Picker''.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Potter Apprentice Engineer

I voted revert and other. The other being to massively scale back the scratches.

That would be awesome! I hope you are right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nacon Junior Engineer

Thank you, this thread is much better than Terry369's angry-mob style petition thread. This I'll happy to cast my vote in.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

Voted.

A shame I can't test new window style... PC died.

10. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

[​IMG]

Four PCs killed by SE, ah-ah-ah!
    Five PCs killed by SE, ah-ah-ah!
    Six PCs killed by SE, ah-ah-ah!
    Seven PCs....

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

Gave me a good laugh here... After all, to be a great player in SE you must offer your PC in sacrifice :p

I'll try to buy a new motherboard next month (after salary kicks in :D)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

Other than Marek Rosa's blog, which is geared now mostly to GoodAI (it's his blog, and he posts whatever he wants, though), the most official thing in forums (IMHO) are the Developer's Notes, but they're quite ghost town right now (last post is dated +-5 months ago)...

13. mcrbradbury Trainee Engineer

There are far more important things to fix than the look of windows. But, admittedly, it does look strange when interior windows are all banged up. they've gone to the effort of making both, so why not just let us use both? The current ones look awesome on a mining ship - but uh, look a bit strange in my relaxation room on a station.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

1.) Which is a pretty good argument for not fucking around with them in the first place.
    2.) Unless you actually want to use them... shit needs a fixin' 's all i'm sayan.

• Agree Agree x 9
  15. Aracus Senior Engineer

@DDP-158 One alternative I was missing was "A slider for winow tint" while my second vote goes to reverting to old un/less-scratched windows.

For now I went with mouse wheel and reverting windows.

Edit: I suppose your palette option was ment for that but I'm questioning the viability of THAT particular approach for it.

16. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

I still say we get the old clean windows back, and have the scratches and grime fade in as it gets more and more damaged.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Radma Kanow Apprentice Engineer

The problem with glass scratches I have is their fixed-and-one-and-only (so far) scratch pattern. On single window it looks nice but place 5 in a row with exactly the same scratch pattern is just bleh. Personally I'd like to have clean glass with scratches being visuals for damage (tho I'm biased as wearing glasses IRL makes me hate having anything on my "glass").

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Can take that a step further and give cockpits bullet holes. Might look strange though when you bump a asteroid and bullet holes show up.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Light_gemini Junior Engineer

Pew pew pew oh noes!
    [​IMG]

With ma cool engineered glazz those scurvy dogs cant hurt me with yer pew pew turretz
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

My water cooler ruptured and spilled coolant all over my GFX cards, the PC survived though, does that count? :)

Mouse wheel scroll and Tint for me. IMO, this should be applied to textures on other blocks, primarily armour. The ability to pick something other than that camo pattern on heavy armour would be fantastic. Probably not necessary on "system" blocks though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Spills for the Spill God! Pumps for the Pump Throne!

• Funny Funny x 3
  22. kittle Senior Engineer

Keep the 1-way window tint and loose the scratches.
    Then update the placement model or the 1st stage construction model so we can easily see which side the tint is on

I also like the idea of having the tint color based on the color palette.

Then, add "interior windows" that dont have any tinting, are air-tight but offer MUCH less protection than the existing exterior ones -- namely you can easily break them with the hand weapons.

Having cracks show up for damage would be a welcome change.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. DDP-158 Master Engineer

For an example of placing windows while facing towards your ship. On the normal up/down window, when it's closest to you the tint is facing you. When it's on the far side of the block, it's facing away from you. Inverts are obviously backwards to this.
    On slants, look at which way the rim bends. If the top is level with the floor below, tint is facing you. If the rim is going up, tint will be inside.

• Informative Informative x 1
  24. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

It hasn't died... But it was a near-death experience, so it's OK to count.

25. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I voted for choices. Choices are always the best, because you can choose not to use an option, but you can't use an option that doesn't exist. :)

26. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

I'd say it doesn't. Coolant for PCs is usually some sort of distilled water, which isn't conductive, so it'd never fry your components. :p

27. Eikester2 Trainee Engineer

Another option that could work and would be useful for every other block to reduse repeating pattern would be a random block feature. Basically a list of alternate models in the block definition where the game randomly choses one everytime you place down a block/weld a block to full stage i.e. one clean window, one with scratches and another with a hello kitty logo. Maybe even with a priority parameter i.e the clean one set to 90% and the other set to 10 %

28. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

Oh wow. holy shit. In all the screens I've been seeing I thought the jagged shapes in the background were destruction gib/particles from things exploding. I just opened the game today and nope. Those are our windows everybody.

29. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. PurrfectBlinky Trainee Engineer

I was suggesting in the yesterday Xocliw stream that dirt should be a damage effect, not only for windows but for any blocks currently that do not support deformation. Sometimes it is really hard to spot damaged blocks on you ships (that are about to break) without the particle effects kicking in when it is already too late. Maintenance is also part of engineering, and it would make sense that a visual clue would say more than the number you have to look at when holding a welder or grinder in hand.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.