Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

A touch of gold fever

Discussion in 'General' started by Hale, Aug 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Hale Trainee Engineer

I wanted to experiment with artificial mass cubes and space balls as counterweights to the frontal drill array on one of my experimental large grid wheeled miner, so i needed gold. I cracked open a nearby gold vein to my planetary base, and got a little carried away and mined out the entire vein. Took me a few days. Now i have entirely too much gold ore laying around. With twenty refineries running and 10x refining rate i calculate it will take me 9 days of continuous running to refine all this gold.

Edit: Oops. It appears i forgot to actually divide by the 20 refineries, so instead of 9 days it's more like 11 hours. An entirely more manageable time frame. But still, it's a lot of gold.

What do i need all this gold for? I would have been better off mining the nearby uranium vein instead, but the gold was sitting there so yellow and shiny and distracting. I didn't expect there would be so much of it. Several times i thought i was nearing the end, but instead the gold vein just kept going. Not that i'm in particular need of uranium either, but at least that's a consumable and will run out eventually. No way i'll use all this gold.

Oh, and the experimental mining vehicle was a failure. It was entirely too unwieldy, and underpowered and undertractioned. And it turns out that in planetary gravity, gyroscopes are better for counterweights anyway.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I'm not as familiar if you were working with large grid. But I know in small grid space balls have a component mass more than 3x greater than the gyros. They are the single densest block in the game, they have a mass greater than the heaviest known element of the same volume.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Arcturus Senior Engineer

It would be nice to have some "bling" decorative blocks that use rare materials.
    Personal concept mod of gold light armor cubes:
    [​IMG]
    (simple texture swap from the gold ore texture)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Hale Trainee Engineer

@Arcturus That's perfect! I could build a golden palace in my own honor.
    Or a space ship entirely of gold blocks. As if a regular steel plated ship isn't heavy enough to get into orbit ;)

5. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Dear lord, I'm imagining how awful that would actually be, soft as hell so not particularly strong for armor, AND it weighs a ton.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hale Trainee Engineer

Unless you think of it as gilded regular armour. Then it would have the same properties and component requirements as regular armor, only with an added component requirement of gold ingots to make it shiny.

But i kind of like the idea of the opulence and impracticality of building stuff out of solid gold just because you have too much if it.

7. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

yay for being able to be this guy.
    [​IMG]
    golden suit,golden ship,golden gun....golden bullets. even the warheads are gold. SOLID GOLD.
    sure it might be heavier and softer....may not react to elements which is great.
    but just look at that shine!

8. halipatsui Senior Engineer

You have not met mr 20k stack of steel plates

9. Zoladen Apprentice Engineer

I really kind of want to make a house out of that now and one-up Scrooge McDuck.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

And you have not met designs suitable for 1x survival.

A single small container has a inventory volume of 125 L meaning it can take 41 steel plates. Even if you factor in the mass of the container itself you still get around 870 kg vs over 2000 for the space ball.

If you want to use creative inventory, then sure an infinite container can probably have more mass than a single fixed mass block... Also bare in mind in creative mode by default that 20K steel plates, only has the mass of 2K plates, courtesy of default inventory mass multiplier.

11. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Small grid medium cargo container: 3375 liters of capacity (1×inventory)
    Steel plate volume: 3 liters
    One can hold 1125 steel plates.

When the container is exploded this stack is released as one stack. Not sure about its dimensions but i would say it is pretty goddamn dense.

It also makes pretty solid damage, small grid missile with 2 containers like these can penetrate over 130 meters of heavy armor making pretty decent pmw that is entirely buildable in 1x survival world :)

Edit:(altough a bit on the expensive side)

12. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Medium container is 3x3x3 meaning it has a volume of 27 blocks.

at a mass of 20kg/plate thats 22,500 kg + 150 for container.

27 space balls have a mass around 61,500 kg.

and just for fun, a large container is 5x5x5 so 125 blocks. 125 SB weigh ~= 285,000 kg.

13. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I mean the density of the syeel plate item stack that is dropped when the container is destroyed (which clearly does not have volume scaling according to the stack size)
    That entity is clearly smaller (a lot) than a armor block but is intensely heavy
    --- Automerge ---
    Also i suspect that large ship large containers can drop stacks of 3k
    Tripling any density i might have achieved

14. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I suppose if you're willing to risk something so dense that it would basically implode your build on world reload, then yes, I suppose the Item stack of steel plates would have a much greater mass per volume than a space ball.

However As a personal preference, i sorta like my counterweights to either be properly integral, or atleast in a fashion that can be used no matter what an inventory multiplier might do to a rig.

If you always design something to function in 1x, any multiplier shouldn't affect it very much.

15. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Also i suspect that large ship large containers can drop stacks of 3k
    Tripling

With great risk comes great kinetic damage

16. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

That gets used up pretty damn fast if you're working with heavy armor.

17. halipatsui Senior Engineer

What did yoy excatly mean with this comment?

18. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You can easily go through 20,000 steel plates when making things with large heavy armor blocks. I said nothing more and nothing less.

19. halipatsui Senior Engineer

So you mean you can penetrate 20000 steel catwalk plates with heavy armor missiles?

Steel plates i was talking about were the item ones that you use for building.
    Those things hurt

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Arcturus Senior Engineer

He appears to mean that it takes a lot of plates to BUILD heavy armor for defense.

21. halipatsui Senior Engineer

22. Calaban Junior Engineer

"fever" is the correct term here. :)

Part of "Being Practical" is to not mine too much, or refine so much that youll never need all of it. "Not over harvesting" is a "skill" to playing this game, and with said Shiny fever it is kinda hard to resist. x1 inventory would help in this limiting, but most players want them deeep pockets... and often suffer for it.

Sure the game doesnt stop you from being feverish in any way, so if [for example] you really WANT to spend 3 weeks refining 120,000 platinum ore at X1 refining speed- there is nothing to stop you.

23. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I play at 1x everything since it's more challenging. The cost in time to refine things like platinum require strategic decisions to be made (assuming you're playing against other human beings). Perhaps it just extends the time-frame of the game or introduces grindy bullshit in getting things done. But the only real cost in the game is the amount of time you have to put into playing it. But I find that to be a plus and a great foundation for balancing the game. If I invest more time, then the likelihood of winning/surviving goes up. Any type of tech-tree or future advancement has to predicate itself on this one aspect because it's the great equalizer among players.

As far as the OP... the game definitely needs tweaking as far as resource rarity as well as the ability of game-makers to adjust the distribution of assets during set-up to make the game more competitive and challenging. Which leads to another point I've always hammered. We need better tools, more control, and more ACCESS to game-making tools in order to get the most out of a sandbox game. Currently, all the tools available are mere place-holders.

24. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I don't mind 1x inventory and refine but, 1x grind and weld just pulls out my nose hairs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

do you want to finish grinding this object early for 1 diamond?
    you've run out of diamonds! *sad face*
    would you like to buy more for 3.99?

I enjoy a good challenge but if its sitting around like the payday 2 thermal drill with nothing better to do then it'll get boring fast. :p
    oh well slow growth tends to build things stronger and "generally" better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Hale Trainee Engineer

I tried playing with 1x inventory when i first started survival, but i almost immediately decided that running back and forth to the container like a headless chicken simply was not fun.
    At 1x inventory i don't think i'd even fit all the tools and hydrogen bottles i run around with as standard equipment, let alone any building components.

27. ViroMan Senior Engineer

If you were building something where you can't get a drone... I understand. Otherwise.. slap that grid work down and remote a drone over with the items in it. Thank god for small ship area welders and nanobots.
    I generally agree with your statement though. I often do not use 1x inventory unless I am feeling masochistic or its part of some survival map I am playing.

28. Hale Trainee Engineer

Nanobots?

29. ViroMan Senior Engineer

30. Hale Trainee Engineer

Oh, i don't like mods. Using mods feels like circumventing the rules of the game, i.e. cheating. Might as well be playing with 10x inventory in that case.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.