Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

AAM - Ariel Aerospace Manufacturing | Taipan Fighter & Tujiu Dropship Released

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Dwarf-Lord Pangolin, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

can confirm. Newton is still rolling in his grave.

2. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Currently getting the Skeiron ready for release in both modded and unmodded variants; hopefully this week (lolright). The new doors were a great help in making unmodded airlocks easier. I'm also trying to see if it's possible to fit the new hydrogen thrusters onto the hull without significantly modifying it. It looks like it'll be possible, but the atmosphere capable version will have to lose the jump drive (fair enough). That assumes the stock version can't handle gravity; it might very well be able to. So, testing will be next!

I also flailed around trying to get the Cobra to work with the new thrusters, before realizing that the hydrogen tank is so enormous that there's just no way to do it with that fighter. :/

3. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

I'm putting all my aerospace stuff (Cobra, Ajax, Fulmar, etc) on partial hold for the moment until we get atmospheric thrusters. All those craft are meant to function in a gravity well, and largely within an atmosphere as well. Once I know the size requirements for atmospheric thrusters, I can tweak things for, say, lunar variants. Only time will tell if atmospheric thrusters will work on worlds with a hostile atmosphere; just because we can't breath it doesn't mean that turbine-based engines won't work there. It's possible that turbines will work just fine on the Mars-like planets.

In the mean time, I am finally finished with the Skeiron. This will be released as a world, not a blueprint, which means that the modded and stock versions will be going out together. Obviously their interiors are rather different -- the largest difference being the fact that the modded version has a much smaller jump drive (courtesy of @Tristavius and his wonderful Expediter jump drive :pbjt:), and thus has two suites. Externally however, they are pretty similar. I also need to check if the modded thrusters I'm using are up to date with the reduced thruster override. Hopefully will release it tonight; need to write up some lore, get the stats down, and make the fancy blueprint & screenshots.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

And they're out! (Both of 'em!) (Fixed link)

[​IMG]
    Skeiron-class Yacht Mk. I

Specifications (For Stock)
    Manufacturer: Ardentrall Aerospace Manufacturing
    Mass: 543,459
    Powerplant: 195 MW
    Gyroscopes: 2
    Time to max velocity: 4.5 sec
    Acceleration: 23.2 m/sec^2
    Max jump distance: 2,000 kilometers
    Armament: NA
    Industrial Equipment: NA
    Cargo Capacity: 1 Small Cargo Container [Stock]
    Refinery Facilities: No
    Assembler Facilities: Yes [Stock]
    Medical Facilities: Yes [Stock]
    Artificial Gravity: Yes
    Small Craft Complement: NA
    Length: 60 meters
    Width: 40 meters
    Height: 10 meters

The Skeiron has been AAM's flagship vessel in the luxury transportation market for most of the past decade, but newcomers to the ship tend to be a bit confused as to why. The stock version has only a single suite of living quarters, and while the deluxe manages to bump that up to two suites plus separate crew quarters -- thanks to the sleek Expediter jumpdrive from TVSI -- it still isn't what most would call commodious. And although the interior -- again, particularly on the deluxe version -- is certainly pleasant to spend time in, it doesn't feature much more than the basic necessities. So why, they ask, does what amounts to a sixty-meter long shuttle with a few beds command such a fearsome price tag?

The answer is one word: speed. The Skeiron is, quite simply, one of the fastest vessels ever designed by AAM. It's faster than its progenitor, the Caracal FAC/gunship, which is not known for having a particularly sedate rate of acceleration. Its acceleration even rivals that of anti-ship missiles -- a neat trick, considering the ship masses more than fifty times as much. The Skeiron is not a luxury ride with a good turn of speed; it's a racer with an unusually comfortable interior.

As a racer, of course, the vast majority of its thrusters are at the back, which leaves precious few for maneuvering or braking. This means that pilots had better be comfortable with the maneuvering afforded by zero-gravity; the time it takes the vessel to decelerate using merely its forward thrusters is measured in kilometers -- many of them. Nobody who is uncomfortable with reverse-burn maneuvers should attempt to pilot this vessel. Unfortunately, that merely adds to the vessel's appeal to a certain class of customer, and there has not been a single year since the vessel was first put on the market that it hasn't claimed the life of some celebrity or another.

The stock version offsets its lack of luxurious amenities by including a fairly comprehensive set of features: a medical bay, cryopod, a small amount of storage for cargo, and an assembler all make it a surprisingly viable option for a do-anything ship. And while the jump drive on the stock version takes up three times the volume of the one on the deluxe, it does have its advantages, boasting a range of two-thousand kilometers, nearly four times that of the deluxe. Stock Skeirons are used by a number of groups and individuals interested in the extremely rapid transportation of cargo and personnel -- including, unfortunately, smugglers, who have been connected with a number of high-profile Skeiron hijackings.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Now that we have planets (squee!), I can resume work on the tank, trucks, and VTOLs! Starting with the Fulmar, which I don't think I've actually posted on here before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She has a rear bay with seating for four. There will be a cargo version, though just how much you'll be able to carry is another matter entirely. I'm currently putting her through her paces, hoping to release soon.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Howitz Junior Engineer

7. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Interesting little spoiler now the question is how do we science past it, explosives, a big tunnel, massive logistics, or just avoid the problem?

8. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

psh stupid terrans and your mountain problems. at least you don't have to fend of sabiroids like those of us living on Titan...

• Like Like x 1
  9. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Hey just because we don't have Sabriods doesn't mean we don't have mountains OF problems too. ;) We just don't have to solve our major problems with 25x184mm NATO "bug spray" (that is those of us who were lucky and managed to turn off pirates one way or another- one bug I do NOT feel bad about exploiting is that disabling "drones" actually worked in my survival)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

I've noticed the thinning atmosphere earlier as well, when testing one of my ships out. I was climbing steadily and around 3.5km I just lost all thrust and started falling down. Stalls like this is the main reason to have EXCESSIVE upward thrust. "Enough to increase altitude" isn't really enough. You need to have enough breaking force to stop a rapid descent. My fighter weighs almost 60,000kg. 1 large and 14 small thrusters are barely enough to stabilize from the fall with a loss of altitude around 2km. And considering the loss of "lift" at 3.5, that gives it a very narrow "safe" altitude range.
    On the other hand, depending on what maneuvers your craft is designed for, you don't need more than 1 small downward thruster (maybe even an ion, rather than atmospheric, since its power is severely reduced). Unless you want to do barrel rolls, then you need to be able to not lose too much altitude during the maneuver.

TL;DR unlike in space ships, atmospheric ones can never have "too much" upward thrust.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

The Fulmar is out. I ended up making the wings swept back as well as sloping down; I don't usually do that kind of shape, but I think I need to work on expanding my repertoire of shapes I'm comfortable with. Also trying some minor changes to my paint scheme in light of switching to DX 11; the red is a bit deeper, and the white a bit less glaring. I'm also trying to use less paint overall, and leave the bulk of my ships white. One thing that surprised me when testing the cargo variant is that, even in survival, it's capable of lifting nearly its own weight in iron ore. Atmospheric thrusters are extremely powerful.

This is being released as a world, not a blueprint, as it has a grand total of eight variants based on three options: Atmospheric vs lunar, cargo vs passenger, and wheels vs landing gear. Feel free to blueprint whichever option you prefer. It's totally stock, no mods used.

Also, apparently "fulmar" literally translates to "foul gull." Such a lovely name! :woot:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

Been waiting for this one, love your designs. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Thanks DragonShadow! And if you enjoy that one, you might also like this:

[​IMG]

I'm working on (finally) getting the Petrel finished too! It's capable of single-stage-to-orbit flight. I'm not sure yet how much cargo it'll be able to carry, but with one pilot and 7 seats it'll be useful for moving people at least.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

She VTOL capable? :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Surprisingly enough, yes; though, we'll see if that holds true for the cargo version. I'd like to put more ventral thrusters on it, but she can only get into orbit by using just the aft thrusters above a certain altitude, and any ventral ones are just dead weight at that point.

16. Vaskadar Apprentice Engineer

Apparently we chose the same name for aircraft, hilariously unintentionally, too. Amphion's version of the Petrel is a light aircraft, sorta based on an ultralight frame.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

I think I'm going to have to try yours out in survival; that looks like an extremely useful vessel to have. I love how you managed to make it practical, yet give it an airy, delicate appearance.

The (other :D) Petrel is ready to fly! It's an SSTO, or single-stage-to-orbit craft: once you're off the landing pad, just point the nose up and hit the gas. Once your speed starts to drop (call it 3.5 km), turn on the ion thrusters. It does not use any hydrogen thrusters; just turbines and ion engines. Most of the power is from batteries, but it's got some reactors to take up the slack and recharge things. It's also got a real purdy interior ;) -- well, the passenger variant does. The cargo version has the same aft-end-broom-closet that the Fulmar has.

I have noticed one odd thing: when using the ion engines on the moon, you sometimes need to give the mouse a little wiggle before the ship will recognize input from thrusters or gyros. It's almost like the ship is sticking, but after the wiggle everything clears up. This isn't a new bug; I saw it before when working on anti-ship missiles. Regardless, something to be aware of.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it is still VTOL, even when loaded with over 42 tons of iron ore. Atmo engines are crazy. Had to stick more ion engines on for lunar work, but I found space in the wheel wells. :pbjt:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Right on mate :D Booting up right now

Edit: Wow these ships are a blast :D Oh and you are using maroon ;) The conversion is complete...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  19. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

Absolutely fucking love the silhouette of that thing. Prepare to be plagiarized.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Thanks for the compliments, guys! But that's totally not maroon! Really! It's just -- umm -- 'k, it's maroon darkish red!

And I just finished a little side-project that grew out of working on the Appalachian Mk. II. This one I wanted to hold off on announcing until it was finished, because the hull's a little bit different from the usual AAM look.

[​IMG]

Donau-class corvette: very squishy, but very toothy for its mass, which is somewhere in the area of the Shinano's. It's sort of a cross between a corvette and a FAC. Uses my personal launch cell system, Whip's guidance script, and my attempt at iN5URG3NT's active ECM system (I say my "attempt" because none of my decoys are working ATM). :p Enjoy!

• Like Like x 5
  21. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

The picture of the blue striped one looks a bit like Hyperion Systems... i lke it, especially the hull shape and the use of the new doors for launch tubes! Great stuff, cant wait to try it out!! :tu:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

I'm pretty sure that Large Grid Decoys are broken, so that isn't your fault

I was totally surprised by the Donau! Spent quite a bit of time becoming acquainted with her. All in all, I love her! It brings a tear to my eye to watch the missiles gracefully arc towards the aimpoint
    In summary:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  23. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

You're a dark horse DLP! Where did this bad boy come from!? It's awesome BTW. Love the VLS. Shame about decoys right now, hopefully keen will fix turret targeting soon.

• Like Like x 1
  24. mhalpern Senior Engineer

They already have a name for darkish red....

You can count on me for RvB references.

ps we really need a PMW cannon that works in natural gravity, preferably one that can be put on a tank, that way we can have this conversation: "How are you going to get the tank to the planet?" "We're going to put it on the ship" "If you have a ship that can carry a tank, why not put a gun on the ship and use it instead?" unfortunately we are lacking in rapid acceleration techniques that dont involve thrusters or gravity generators, if we were able to control suspension wheel movement with the PB, to capitalize on the friction and suspension settings, that might serve as a nice controllable way to accelerate an unpowered grid.... Okay call me crazy, but I think I know a way to get such a system to work, you would need two sets of suspension wheels, one set up so that they dont rotate at all (not even when outside forces push them if possible) and just act as a spring, this one will have a rotor base, the other set will have max or near max friction will put up no resistance to being rotated by outside force, and have the corresponding rotor head to the other set, you make sure that you set them up in pairs, so that the projectile is inbetween 2 wheels (like a pitching machine) extend it like a rail as needed, to fire, you must spin up the rotors, and bring the projectile in-between the friction wheels, the suspension would be set up so the wheels get pushed out as the projectile is fed through, ensuring solid contact... I have to study for finals so I cant do it myself, but if you can get it to work, both space and atmospheric combat will be changed, sure there's the issue that at 1G straight up, at speed cap, an unpowered projectile will only gain altitude for about 10 seconds, and considering that max speed of a 5x5 large ship rotor wheel is about 19.6m/s we need to take a different approach like using a 5x5 rotor spun (possibly high friction suspension wheel) wheel to spin a 1x1 wheel on a 5x5 suspension to spin you up to about 96m/s, very close to speed cap, instead of having spinning wheels on both sides one side could have 1x1 guide wheels, then you would have a non-gravity cannon that can fire completely unpowered projectiles at very near the speed cap.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Tristavius Senior Engineer

A superb evolution of your designs - I can still recognize it as yours but some excellent new elements introduced. Very interesting thruster cowling - reminds me of an almost Mass Effect feel.

• Like Like x 1
  26. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

Definitely dark red. Maroon is closer to purple.

27. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

"Aggie" Maroon is more similar to red :)
    In-game color distortion is horrific but when you pull the RGB directly from SE toolbox it is pretty close :D

28. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Thank you guys, especially for the feedback! :woot:

And, since apparently secret projects are popular:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  29. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Going to finish putting together the description for this tomorrow -- dunno how effective the experiment with the in-game introduction was over the last few days -- but regardless, this is the Witchwind.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, it's an SSTO craft. Technically, it's fully capable of operating as a spacecraft, but it's really not meant for that: it has a very large number of ventral thrusters which are great for loitering at high altitude, but would be useless out of a planet's gravity. And you really don't want to know how bad the deceleration is.

The reason it's meant to hang out up there is because it's a stealth bomber; imagine the SR-71 and the B-2 had a baby. It drops 17 ton bombs that are steered onto the target by way of a laser antenna; not only does this mean that there's no antenna popping up on your target's HUD to warn them once it launches, it also means the bomber can be so far away it's pretty much invisible. Even if you know exactly where it is as soon as the first bomb hits, it'll still take you about three minutes to fly that high -- assuming you have a craft that can ascend straight up. Add in night attacks, and the first warning your target has is when their turrets start frantically trying to swat the first one down at 800 meters; which, of course, is why it can drop two at once. Basically, it's designed around the premise of being as ungentlemanly as possible in warfare.

:woot:

I love the orbital bombardment stuff people've made, but I haven't seen anything built on a smaller scale; then I saw iN5URG3NT's Tarantula doing frankly unspeakable things to my tanks, and was sold on the idea of small grids welding their own stuff. The bombs are a variant of the cruise missile I've been working on; when the game is feeling cooperative, you can get fantastic results from them!
    [​IMG]

When it's not cooperative, things get a little ... derpy.
    [​IMG]

Still working on that part, though I believe Whip has discovered the solution to this. It holds two bombs in the bays, and can carry enough material to weld another six, for a total of eight. The Witchwind itself only has a single gatling turret; it's basically a flying missile silo, so you don't want to take it into a dogfight. I only put the turret on because I thought people might worry otherwise. One person can fly it and carry out attacks, but it'd be much better with two. With a full load, it masses under 500 tons (the current version that's up has some problems with it; those, too, should be fixed tomorrow). I should note that it needs to ascend at a very shallow angle; this isn't like the Petrel, which can basically point itself up and go.

I'm also trying to get the Grendel Mk. II out the door at last. The changes since the Mk. I have been colossal, so it's quite different. I had to tearfully bid farewell to my rotor-based drive system, so I don't know if this one can haul corvettes around like the old one, but it is a lot faster. I capped the max speed at 175 kph because higher than that I kept flipping. It's lost the turn-in-place capability, but I think the vastly greater mobility is worth it. Plus, the turret (mouse-traversed!) can turn 360 degrees now, so the turning is less important. The steering is pretty quirky; you actually steer the tank with the mouse, by means of gyros. At slow speeds that can be a bit jerky, but it's surprisingly smooth when you're going fast.

Additionally, both the Witchwind and Mk. II Grendel will be the first ships released with Phoenix-compatible lore, once I finish ironing a couple things in mine out. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  30. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Is there any other kind?

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.