Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

AAM - Ariel Aerospace Manufacturing | Taipan Fighter & Tujiu Dropship Released

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Dwarf-Lord Pangolin, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Ohh. So basically just ballast using the higher density of components vs blocks? Yeah that could def work, but it sort of sucks for your bomber. KAPUTS were awesome because they only got heavy on impact.

Materials pretty much use their real life densities when refined so Iron ingot is the best in terms of plentiful material, and I think Iron is plentiful enough to make viable ammo. That's what I use as ore bomb ammo and will be using as ballast if your torpedo works.

2. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Yeah, KAPUTs definitely got hit pretty hard with the nerfbat. :( They're still a viable weapon for small grid ships to use against large warships, they'll just be harder to deliver.

3. Agnar Apprentice Engineer

The mass would update if you got out and back in the cockpit, just like you have to when you turn a station to a ship. Given Keen's inability to release a feature correctly, I wouldn't be surprised if the fix spacewalks in less than two weeks.

4. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Yes, handles like a brick. And pre patch they did affect ship mass, you just needed to hop out and hop back in to see it update.
    Care to take pics of ur design? :)

5. Howitz Junior Engineer

I have a new design in mind, will get to it when I have time so don't worry people, it will be a hybrid large/small block torpedo with both cargo fragmentation and space balls, propelled bt a gravity generator attached with the rotor trick

• Like Like x 1
  6. Agnar Apprentice Engineer

Could you possibly make a more complex, unstable, and hard to mass produce weapon? Maybe toss in some piston extended decoys?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Howitz Junior Engineer

indeed buddy, thats what i'll do :p then i will make a way to easily mass produce it

8. Agnar Apprentice Engineer

don't forget to lock parts together with small ship landing gear.

9. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Absolutely! Wanted to run some more tests to make sure that wasn't a fluke. Just got an 8; 5-6 is more common, though.
    I've only been testing the performance characteristics so far; it still needs some timers and so forth.

10. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Over-penetration achieved with new ballast system. KAPUT-style weapons are still viable.

11. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Is that a heavy-light-heavy target? or all heavy?

How did you manage that front mounted camera without having your torpedo phase the target? Wonder if it's the collision mesh of the cargo container that's helping you.

12. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

It's an all-heavy target. And I haven't noticed the camera affect the penetration so far. Running more tests now, this time with iron ingots as the payload.

13. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

It won't hurt penetration if the collision detection works fine but any time I've had a camera hit first the torpedo just goes clean through the target with zero damage. Maybe it was just a particularity of the space ball based torpedo system?

14. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Could be. I've seen a lot of projectiles hit the target and disappear, but I've never been able to recognize a pattern to it. :confused: So far, so good; oddly enough, replacing gravel with iron ingots doesn't seem to markedly improve performance. There's probably a limit to how much damage these projectiles can do regardless of what they're loaded with.

15. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

I couldn't get penetration to go more than 1 large block per length of the torpedo, and I could never get penetration past 7 heavy blocks.

16. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Huh. That, I don't understand.

My destroyers need to take a diet; they keep getting bigger, and with fewer turrets. Granted, they've also got more structural reinforcement and more rocket launchers, but still.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Needs more fine tuning, but looking good so far. :)

[​IMG]

18. Tateo13TTV Junior Engineer

"coughs" wheres that space dock "cough"
    -Tateo

19. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Holy crap that is a sexy paint job!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

My fighters suffer from the same effect, the bigger they get the less weapons they carry... must be a common illness going around these days ! *cough*

21. 3eepoint Junior Engineer

*looks at the lunatic class*

I fail to see your point =P

22. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

I think the issue is that no matter how long you make a missile (and thus how heavy it is) it's going to decelerate at a more or less fixed rate and you stop getting volumetric explosions. So any extra "length" just ends up stuck outside the impact crater and is "wasted".

So there is some ideal L/D of a kinetic missile, unless I'm really doing something wrong. 5-7 layers of heavy seems to be the sweet spot for small grid kinetic missiles. Has anyone been able to consistently do better?

23. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Thank you!

@tankmayvin: The mean penetration for the kinetic missile I've been testing is 7 blocks when loaded with steel plate; 6 with gravel (mode for gravel was 5, though, so it looks like a couple high performers made gravel look better than it tended to be). 1/4 of the steel plate tests did better than 7.

So I would agree with you: 5 looks like good "budget" penetration, 7 the best one can reasonably hope for. Considering how cheap missiles like this can be though, anyone building anything with even 3 layers of armor is in for a nasty shock.

Working on it right now, actually! Currently trying to figure out if making my base grid 15 was too small for my modular system. :/

24. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

I only just now saw this but that Grendel is a beautiful tank. Makes me want to build tanks from my childhood fantasies, but not without conveyor hinges because it would be a nightmare without them.

25. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Thank you! And yes, making the main gun elevate without using mods was ... frustrating. :mad:

So, this is what I've got so far for the modular station system I'm working on. You can see the spacedock in the background; it's going to have two cradles instead of one, so the cranes can shift from one project to the other if needed. About half the modules are just connectors of one sort or another; there's a docking pad, solar and oxygen arrays, and two beefier modules for installing equipment of one sort or another. They don't come with any non-generic equipment installed; they're all conveyored, lit, fitted with gravity, etc. -- but I'm leaving whether you want a module to have assemblers or arc furnaces or whatever up to whoever's building it. We'll see if the 15x15 system works out. There's also a pair of tiny modules for comms in the background near the crane, in case you want to stick an antenna or beacon on something.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  26. Tateo13TTV Junior Engineer

Well the modular station looks very nice. and the dock also looks nice.
    -Tateo

27. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Howdy dwarfy :)
    I tried (and failed) to build my own torpedo vessel last night so I decided to give the Joyeuse some well deserved love!

I repaired the damage on the Joyeuse photoshoot world and got to work updating this beauty :D. I have not started much on the interior but I have touched up her curves and redesigned the grav gun to fire a 3x3x6 projectile. Also, she can weld 3 of these torpedoes at a time, and with how many large cargo containers she has on her, she could probably engage a target for years lol

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Very cool! Nice to see the Longsword-class getting some love; I dropped the design a while ago and haven't picked it up, so feel free to do what you want with it! It was supposed to be a cruiser initially, but it'd probably be classified as a battleship now -- that main gun you put on her certainly qualifies her as one. o_O What kind of damage does that monster do?

Also, out of curiosity, what have you put in place of the old piston magazine? That thing took up most of the forward section.

29. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

I replaced it with this monster:
    I've been having trouble with the big rounds damaging the crud out of the barrel :/ This led me to try splitting the round into 4 smaller ones :D That means I could rapid fire 12 of these at a time!
    The new rounds seem to deal better damage than one solid slug, will do more testing :)

• Like Like x 1
  30. 3eepoint Junior Engineer

Finally mitivated myself to make a Dock like you, current status:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is bigger because it has to take Care of an 400m Dreadnought......

Will have an moveable Portal CNC style ship printer to Build the stuff I am making, will be fun making ^^

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.