Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

add a 2x2x2 chair for smaller spaces

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by 333546323, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

right not a chair takes up a space of 3x3x3 when it can easily take up a space of 2x2x2...idk chairs where made or whoever made them but can we get then to fit in a 2x2x2 space?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. jozsefsz Apprentice Engineer

I voted "agree" but only if we'll still have the opportunity to use the 3x3 variant. Some builds require them to have a middle block, so we can place them on rotors and stuff correctly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

yah true i would agreee with thta too :p
    --- Automerge ---
    hmm but i wonder why grindy gears disagrees
    i would like to hear his point :/

4. jozsefsz Apprentice Engineer

There are a few main disagree spammers on this forum. They press "disagree" on a thread they don't like, which is completely normal, and that is what that button is for, but some seem to forget to attach a reason for their disagreement. But if they do add it, you simply can't win. It's better having a disagree, than a shitload of "you are wrong-you are wrong-you are wrong" comment. Be happy this section is clear of them... YET.
    Not aiming to insult anyone, but there are barely a single Suggestion that is free of their "disagree". If one must disagree, they should put a reason there.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  5. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I genuinely don't see why you need a specific reason, I disagree that the chairs should be smaller, I think that should be the end of it.

The reason we have a rule against simple yes/no polls is because we have these exact little buttons to do that for us.

I build everything using an odd number symmetry, making things 2x2 would screw that up. If the suggestion had read: "add 2x2x2 chairs", I might not have disagreed, but I'd probably say it's similar enough to just say use a mod.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

late reply but we need more people like you around here :/
    --- Automerge ---
    well
    making chairs that small wouldnt change anything to your builds, its literally just making them smaller you can still place them in the spots you want a 3x3x3 chair in, but yah i was aso going for a new chair to be added

7. ViroMan Senior Engineer

It is too early for me to have the eloquence needed to say how wrong you are sir.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

then tell me when you wake up....seriously i want to know

9. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

where are you going to place a mount point on the bottom of a 2x2 chair that allows that chair to be centrally mounted on a rotor or conveyor on a small block?

10. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

you can just use a 3x3x3 chair

11. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

and the clipping problem with a space engineer being 3 small blocks wide? how would you sit the engineer centrally on the chair?

12. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

that is so simple...just imagine a 3x3x3 chair like this --- these are the 3 blocks. the engineer is in the middel with a 2x2x2 chair it would just be this -- jura has made chairs on his heli fit in areas of 2x2x2 and there is no problem of clipping.

13. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Do you have a link to those builds or the chairs? Steam search is useless thanks to people uploading builds and mods and tagging them with everything to get hits and google just decides to ignore the usage of 2x2. I would love some 2x2 chairs for some of my smaller shuttlecraft builds.

14. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I have concluded after thinking, as long as the 222 chair does not replace the 333 chair its all good. It just increases the options available.

15. Roxette Senior Engineer

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Well to everyone, as far as I remember, there is problems animation wise, the engineer is simply wider than 2x2x2 or 2x2x3, which means either the Engineer gets squashed and it looks weird, or the cockpit doesn't allow you to see the Engineer.

17. Roxette Senior Engineer

It's not too bad really, one of them loses the toes if there are blocks in the way, the other has the back of the character sinking a bit, but the stock cockpit parts have hardly ever been perfect in this way...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

... a seat in 2x2x2 would be problematical to the point of decapitation, I don't know if one exists anyway. You need one with control function and a small ship glass pack as well to make nice custom small block cockpits, but it's possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. sioxernic Senior Engineer

@Roxette It is bad enough that it shouldn't be done. Keen wants to avoid clipping as much as possible.

19. Roxette Senior Engineer

I don't believe clipping of this kind between character model and blocks has any impact other than the visual one, and what Keen wants in terms of visuals is often irrelevant to the point of being bizarre and ridiculous to many users. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. sioxernic Senior Engineer

@Roxette All devs wants to avoid clipping.

21. Cetric Junior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  22. jozsefsz Apprentice Engineer

Let's ask Bethesda about it :woot:

But seriously, check those suspension blocks. Build them around. If that is not clipping, I don't know what is. The game is already full of actually fun and good looking clipping, and I'm totally up for @Roxette's idea.

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. sioxernic Senior Engineer

@jozsefsz I honestly don't care, just mentioning why you'd most likely not see this. You'd probably have more success lobbying for a 4x3x3.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.