Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

AI possibly coming soon

Discussion in 'General' started by transistor77777, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. transistor77777 Apprentice Engineer

So I was digging around in the game files, when I came across a folder called AIschool in the content directory. It had two savegames inside called "01 - Basic Movement Learning" and "02 - Repair Bot". Both of the saves had a large empty platform and an astronaut named "Brain Simulator 01" who was just standing still and not doing anything (presumably because he needs Brain simulator running to provide his AI).

This means that Keen already has basic AI working in the game, or are atleast attempting to. Does anybody know anything else about this?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    • Late Late x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

It's been in the code for a while. I wouldn't expect anything to come out of it anytime soon, they've been working themselfs crazy on Planets for a while now, with everything else on the backburner.

• Like Like x 1
  3. transistor77777 Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, I've seen the AI stuff in the source code before, but these saves show that keen has actually started testing AI ingame, which means they've atleast gotten Brain simulator to work with SE which is a huge step in implementing actual AI

4. Ulfsark Master Engineer

When i saw the file named Dunning-Kruger i burst out laughing ....

5. WereBottle Apprentice Engineer

Wasn't there a video, a while ago, with this. I remember an astronaut with some sort of A.I. being told to go to certain places and Keen were demonstrating how its pathfinding worked.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. transistor77777 Apprentice Engineer

I'm trying to get the brain files in the brains folder to work, but every time I try to open any of them in Brain simulator i get these errors:

[ERROR] Referenced module not available: GoodAI.SandboxIntegration.dll
    [ERROR] Project loading failed: Constructor on type 'GoodAI.Core.Nodes.MyWorld' not found.

It seems like i need a module called GoodAI.SandboxIntegration.dll. does anybody know if that file exists anywhere?

7. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Oh you mean the barbarian in a space suit?

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Damadark Trainee Engineer

Have you really been reading how the game has been building things? http://www.goodai.com/
    Keen made medieval engineers which in turn helped produce Planets for us and Keen also made the GoodAI to develop a real AI. Just like Medieval Engineers GoodAI as they are developing a real life AI will in turn help make the Space Engineers AI.
    Just reading the following code confirms what I suspected was happening and reading from the GOOD AI site.

[ERROR] Referenced module not available: GoodAI.SandboxIntegration.dll
    [ERROR] Project loading failed: Constructor on type 'GoodAI.Core.Nodes.MyWorld' not found.

9. Dreokor Senior Engineer

I'm really curious about this GoodAI stuff already in the files, really looking foward to whatever they are planning to do with it.

10. Einharjar Junior Engineer

"Near-Term Goals

Multiple game-playing AI: extending the capabilities of our current-stage AI brain architecture so that a single AI brain can play multiple computer games, applying the skills and knowledge it acquires in each game and generalizing its knowledge to use in multiple games

Brain Simulator integration with Space Engineers and Medieval Engineers: integrating GoodAI Brain Simulator with Keen Software House video games, so players can design their own AI brains, share these brains with others, or use AI brains designed by us. We will give AI to players, and bring millions of our players to AI researchers."

Quote from the GoodAI site.

It's clear SE is getting the AI modules I've always wanted, AI modules that are adaptable and modifiable by the player base.
    It's not here yet, but it will be soon (tm)

I honestly can't wait.

11. saxmo Apprentice Engineer

I just hope it's better ai than the turrets that keep shooting their own ship. I wouldn't want that guy trying to pilot a ship.

Hmmm interesting thought. If their working on AI, and on Food, does that mean we will have to provide food for our ai crew, a mess hall for our ships, and food storage? This could be an interesting development, especially in how survival works and what all you need to bring with you to survive. Before you just needed power and materials, then oxygen, now a gun to fend off spiders.

Spider stew for our AI crew!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Einharjar Junior Engineer

My biggest dream for the AI was completing such challanges.

As a Space Engineer of the future, I'd be tasked with leading a crew to help colonize potential worlds in a long term goal of ushering mankinds spread unto the stars.

Oh and I like Project Management - can't make lots of goals without a good team.

I'm sure we'll see some sadistic saved worlds too posted on workship that includes "AI Bot Torture Chambers UltraXXX HELL MODE!". Communities always have those types lurking; just waiting for insuing victims to showcase their... skills. What better victims than an un-refusing AI bot? "There's free spider meat in that cage! Don't you want it?"

13. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

Imagine having AI pilots serving on your carrier ship, getting in fighters and going off to fight while you stay with the carrier! It would be pretty grim though having only a few of your lucky pilots make it back and you have to go hire a bunch more.

Imagine:
    Engineers that automatically weld damaged components
    Gunners that sit in seats and control turrets (maybe this will be a requirement for turrets to work)
    Pilots that maneuver ships and fly fighter craft

Or a system where you "assign" pilot NPCs to crafts so that they get in those when the fighters are scrambled from your carrier. A living community aboard my ship would be amazing.

14. transistor77777 Apprentice Engineer

That's basically my dream for this game. I'd love to have a world full of different characters each with their own traits and personalities.

Hopefully they are able to make brainSim more efficient so we can simulate all those brains without needing a supercomputer.

15. mrax Apprentice Engineer

Please, don't use this term. It ist influenced by the "dark days" when the world was just a few asteroids, which haven't formed planets... I would prefer "in the near future" or anything like that.

Regarding the AI integration: I don't think planets influenced the GoodAI team and I expect they and not Keen work on the integration of AI in SE and ME (of course not the AI which is currently in game), because the team at Keen would need to get into GoodAI first, and since they tried to separate them as good as possible it wouldn't make sense to merge these tasks. I could be wrong, but for me it seems that the integration is more in the interest of the GoodAI team since they need a dynamic test environment for actually teaching an AI something (if you watched the progress they have made you can see many custom programmed "game like" test environments) SE is perfect for that since space and the gravity and now also planets can create very unpredictable situations (see the "ladder problem"). And it needs much less effort to use an existing working test environment than creating a new one.

16. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

I'm actually not sure how much computing power is currently needed to run the brain simulator. I guess it would depend the task.

17. Einharjar Junior Engineer

Well, considering that SE is still rather unoptimized (though getting better every patch almost) and was barely using my i7s four physical cores (I shut off hyperthreading), I'd say that there's room for AI. SE seems to eat RAM the most.

If they follow what a few games have, like the Supcom series, AI computation will be allocated to it's own core/thread to make things more efficient and easier to run.

I'm not expecting SE to have the entirety of the GoodAI capability, but at the least it will have a few modules that will allow the AI to automate it's own goals, or run it's goals based on player input.
    The biggest stretch is pathfinding. Once that's down; basic scripts for Engaging Targets, setting perimeters for locales and operating "Fetch" and "Retrieve" duties will be easy enough.
    I'm not expecting an AI that will build their own designs. That'd be pretty freaking advanced. That level of sophistication would lead me to believe that the AI could run it's own Player Character and manage it's OWN bots, meaning it's own colony; make original designs and everything else.

Then who would REALLY be playing the game? Us?. ... ..... or THEM?

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

18. Zelyth Trainee Engineer

AI is a ways away methinks. I'm still waiting for netcode...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. chrisb Senior Engineer

Aye.. ;)

20. transistor77777 Apprentice Engineer

Also, brain simulator apparently requires a nvidia graphics card with CUDA to work, so they'll definitely have to fix that before they put real AI in the game

21. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

What if a multiplayer server was entirely populated by bots?

22. Barfbag Trainee Engineer

A superior game requires a superior card
    NVIDIA
    :tu:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  23. Dreokor Senior Engineer

Oh no, please dont turn this into a Nvidia vs AMD/ATI war....

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  24. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Interesting theory.

25. saxmo Apprentice Engineer

the ultimate target, a friendly ship full of AI's

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Barfbag Trainee Engineer

lol but its always fun to fan the flames of fanboys

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  27. Dreokor Senior Engineer

Pretty sure a thread about AI doesnt need it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. BardTale Apprentice Engineer

Would there be any difference than the state of most modern MMO's? :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. Einharjar Junior Engineer

As the poster above stated... wouldn't be too different from the common MMORPG with it's throngs of NPCs and Mobs.

Now if they were advance AI; yeah that'd be different.

It's like, imagining a SW BF 2 XL match of AI X 100, across a whole planet 120km in Diameter. Geeze that's huge.
    Planet's name would be "THE LAG"

NVIDEA

-The way it's meant to Glitch-

30. transistor77777 Apprentice Engineer

Update: I've managed to activate some of the AI code in the source code, and now I have working NPC characters in the game! Currently all I have is a guy named BrainSimulator aimlessly flying in circles, but it has the potential to make something much more advanced.
    [​IMG]

The code file was named MyBrainSimulatorSessionComponent, but strangely I couldn't find any code that actually interacted with Brain Simulator, it's just preprogrammed C# logic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.