Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Anyone ever gone this far?

Discussion in 'General' started by Merced, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Merced Trainee Engineer

It was a routine mission... the cargo ship California (NC-17) was on it's way back to Starbase K-1 when a malfunction in the jump drive caused the ship to go where no one has gone before: Instead of the short 20 km jump, the ship ended up more than 6 MILLIONEN km away. With a jump range of 2176 km it is going to be a long way back....

[​IMG]

Quick question: Anyone know when km turns into ls (lightseconds, I assume)?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fenris Apprentice Engineer

I've seen that problem listed in bug reports. I can't remember when it started or if multiplayer or single player make a difference, but yeah, it's a bug.

EDIT: Here's the latest bug report I've found on this problem. You might want to post your problem here to let them know this is still a thing. http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/1-157-011-stable-jump-drives-jump-ls-away.7389263/#post-1287018977

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  3. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Sell the jumpdrive to me. I might need it in case of someone reading my browser history.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

You've gone Voyager on us.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Merced Trainee Engineer

Thanks. I've added it with all observations I remember about this specific jump.

Bids are accepted but be aware that there's no manual on how to do these jumps. So you might end up pretty far from anything you could land on, so bring enough supplies.

Well I've calculated that at max. travel speed the ship would need a little over 2 years to fly back. Unfortunately the ship doesn't have the ressources for that kind of trip. Even if I accelerate to max speed and shut everything down except the lights, the radiator (hey, I don't want to freeze to death on my way back) and the Antenna I will still run out of power in about a week. So after that I have no way to die-teleport back to the ship. And by leaving the ship flying a straight line for 2 years I guess the chance is pretty high that it will be stopped ungently by an asteroid.

6. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Given the situation i would need it its better the further i get. Even better if there is no way to know how far i went!

7. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Image this happening on a server... You, my friend, are now safe from a§§hats but, not a§§holes. They will find you and you will wake in a cryopod with a reactor and thruster on it.

8. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Space master could help him on a server

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

It's happened on my server before. The person gets teleported several light seconds away. So far that it would take forever just traveling there via Space Master at maximum speed. I rescued the player. But it would have taken him a week to get back by simply jumping.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Space Master does not have "teleport grid A to X,Y,Z" or the equivalent of cut grid and paste here and then kill player and spawn here?

11. Phoera Senior Engineer

Space master allow to teleport player.

12. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Space master can teleport to player in distress. Cut his ship. Teleport back and paste his ship. Player himself can suicide and respawn.

13. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

While you are or were out there did you notice if there were still asteroids around? I have been wondering for a while how a ship in space engineers would handle a deep space mission. Would it have to carry all the oxygen/hydrogen needed or would ice asteroids be an option? Would solar panels work that far out (I know they wouldn't in reality)?

14. damoran Junior Engineer

6 million km...wow

You're screwed, hahah

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Yes, in a procedurally generated map there are still asteroids even that far out. They are generated based on a formula. It's just that the numbers are bigger and the game gets a bit janky from the large number crunching.

16. Malware Master Engineer

What @Ronin1973 said... Also, unfortunately, since there's no "real" sun, there's also no "going away" from it...

Sigh I really can't make up my mind what's worst. Not having a day/night cycle on planets or not having a "real" sun in space...

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. damoran Junior Engineer

I guess if you think about it, deep space is mostly void for years on end and ultimately, we'd want to traverse that space as quickly as possible to get to the next planet or point of interest so in reality I guess it makes more sense to have the day/night cycle/fake sun over a real one.

Even though it would be very interesting if they had an accurate solar system rotating around the sun and we had to deal with the challenges of moving further away from it.

18. rexxar Senior Engineer

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

19. DDP-158 Master Engineer

I think a variation of the darkness mods would be cool for something like this. the map is what, like 30au? So at 6 au it wouldn't be pitch black but probably more dusky than normal. If you make it to the edges the sun would be a speck and you'd be in pitch black. Imagine trying to navigate around asteroids in the black and then realizing you've entered the gravity well of a planet. Your big transport doesn't have atmospheric thrusters and you half crash half land. Now you have to modify the ship in the dark. But what's that sound you keep hearing? Saberoids in the black.

20. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I am sorry but, can you say that again or someone translate that?

As for the sun debacle ...
    When I play asteroids maps I usually turn off sun rotation because the sun should not move from your limited point of view.

21. chrisb Senior Engineer

22. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

From what I recall, the GPS coordinates are especially huge numbers. I think this starts to cause the game some grief as the calculations are a lot larger for every block. This is conjecture on my part. However the quirky response at a few LS out wasn't.

23. DuneD Junior Engineer

I think this bug should be left as a feature heh. Going Voyager adds a lot to gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Yeah, once you get that far out everything has to be 64-bit numbers (except Havok) which means that much more bandwidth on a fundamental level.

25. rexxar Senior Engineer

All world positions are stored as Vector3D, which is a group of three Double precision floating point numbers. These values are always a full 64 bit wide.

The problem is that when you get further and further away from 0,0,0, you lose precision in your position data. The decimal point keeps getting shifted further and further to the right, reducing the resolution. This imprecision can cause jittering and other nasty side effects. The values don't take up more room in memory or anything, it just loses precision.

• Informative Informative x 3
  26. Radma Kanow Apprentice Engineer

21 ls away? This hints that you aren't the most social person... :woot:

- Horatio, have you heard about that guy whose jump drive malfunctioned and set him millions km away?
    - Yeah, seem like...
    <puts glasses on>
    - ... his journey was far-fetched

YYYEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

27. DDP-158 Master Engineer

If space were a little more fascinating and not just more roids I would make a youtube miniseries for the journey home. Afterm a ton of adjustments for living your ship would be radically different by the time you got back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. chrisb Senior Engineer

Didn't they talk about shifting the 'point' as you travel, or is my memory going, which is quite possible of course. ;)

29. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I don't see that being a problem in the near future as people really don't travel THAT far under normal circumstances. But that is an issue that should be addressed at some point as the further you travel, the less precision there is and more jitters. Could this also impact the stability of rotors and pistons? You might be on to something.

30. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Finding the right starting point is important. I always fly around looking for a big enough hollow asteroid that has uranium deposit in/near it. Depending on the seed I can spend an hour+ in flight before I set base down.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.