Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Artificial Mass block problems

Discussion in 'General' started by mik97t, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. mik97t Trainee Engineer

i love the Artificial Mass block but theres one problem with them. no matter how many thrusters i have the Artificial Mass block would pull the ship down. i tryed to make 100 big thrusters to keep the ship up and one Artificial Mass block was able to push them all down. maybe you could make a system so the thrusters would try to balance the Artificial Mass block so the ship wouldnt move

2. whistler118 Apprentice Engineer

What? Why?
    By placing a Mass block you want it down but by placing thrusters you want it up. You want it to hover? You know you are in space right.

3. mik97t Trainee Engineer

Yes i know but i need to have a gravity generator on the ship and as soon i place it the ship gets pulled down. Im using the artificial mass block to make bombs. That might explain my problem

4. GothicRebel Trainee Engineer

By that I'm assuming you have the bombs attached to the ship as separate objects using landing gear? In that case, simply switch off the AM block until you want to drop the bombs. Then it's just a case of unlocking the gear and switching the blocks back on (in that order :p ).

5. mik97t Trainee Engineer

yeah i could do that but my bomber is designed to be fast and not standing still

6. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Then turn off the grav gen. It's one or the other.

7. mik97t Trainee Engineer

but i need the gravity generator to make the bomb drop thats why i was hoping that the devs could make the thrusters keep the ship steady

8. ArenDaystar Apprentice Engineer

You are being very silly. Make a bomb, power it and stick a grav block on it, grab it with the bomber's landing gear, fly to where you want to drop it, turn on gravity generator, and disable landing gears. It's as easy as that.

9. mik97t Trainee Engineer

like i said before the bomber is designed to drop bombs while mowing witch makes it impossible

10. ArenDaystar Apprentice Engineer

Fly.

Open control panel.

Turn on gravity.

Drop the bombs.

11. DDP-158 Master Engineer

It sounds like its impossible for you to multitask.

Personally I would disengage landing gear first then hit gen. That way they don't start pulling the ship down while you are in the console.

Edit: or I would drop the mass blocks and just use the momentum of the ship.

12. Cerus Trainee Engineer

One of my torpedo designs uses an artificial mass sabot to propel the warhead into and through the gravity tube.
    I keep the gravity gen for the Sabot on 0.05, which doesn't impact the movement of the ship itself, once released the sabot settles into a groove on the torpedo, and pushes them both into a gravity tube where the pair is gradually accelerated. (This is the hard part, the warhead likes to explode if pushed too quickly).

This way, all I need to do to release the torpedo is let go of the isolated landing gear in that tube.

As an added bonus, the warhead is effectively immune to gravity generator shields that would deflect a powered AM torpedo.

You could probably adapt some part of this to your bombs, if you were dead set on keeping your AM blocks powered on.

13. mik97t Trainee Engineer

thats also a way to do it but i wanned to make a diffrend kind of bombe. And if a disengage the landing gear while accelerating theres a chance that it would hit the bomber

14. mik97t Trainee Engineer

mmmmh this might work i dont know why i didnt think of that thanks ^^

15. jetstream01 Apprentice Engineer

I've been working on a massive gravity cannon that uses rounds with AM in them, and I fought the same issues with what I call "Gravity Drift"...meaning no matter how many thrusters I put on it, they couldn't fight the grav gen fighting the AM pull. It is inconvenient and impractical to have to open the control panel and turn on/off the grav gens every time you want to fire, so I don't know why people are suggesting that. Part of the clever design you've come up with is being able to release bombs with "P" key, and nothing else.

Anyways the solution is to reduce the force from the gravity generator pulling it down. My round in my grav cannon weighs 500,000kg and has 8 AM blocks, and using this method, it still doesn't pull the ship down.

16. Comrade Jenkens Trainee Engineer

I've been having the same problem. Trying to make a Grav tank using downwards thrusters and mass blocks but the ship just gets pulled down even if the dampeners are on. I think that they should counter the gravity effects if they are powerful enough.

17. XOIIO Apprentice Engineer

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/013/005/3mLydMU.png

18. ArenDaystar Apprentice Engineer

I am literally in tears right now. I am laughing so hard I cannot breathe.

(pardon me while I crack a rib)

But yes, this is exactly what was going through my head.

19. Nogrim Trainee Engineer

he is in multiplayer mode dumb asses the game only pauses when your in the menu in single player
    in multiplayer you dont stop time in the menus making fiddling around in the control panel while for example bombing some one elses base stupid as your asking to be shot down

to the person having issues
    it all about setting up the field sizes and strengths (Alt+shift+f12 will turn on the gravity viewer so you can see the bounding box of any gravity fields that are on.
    you should be able to shrink and/or overlap them in such a way as to make it possible, i think if the mass block is attached via landing gear (ie another ship) the thrusters will fight the weight but not if the mass block is a part of the same ship as the thrusters

20. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

Really I feel like this is the way it always should have worked. A ship with gravity gen should influence other ships. Dampeners should automatically counter the effect if they are strong enough. This would make landings for small craft a lot easier.

21. Dwane Diblie Trainee Engineer

Build bomb with mass block and grav gen pushing the mass block down, all on each bomb.
    Build ship with grav gen pushing up. This should counter the ones on the bombs.
    Lock in plase with landing gears.
    As you are flying past target, turn off inertial dampeners, release landing gears, turn off power, wait till bombs clear, turn on power and get out of there.

Still not simple but way better than having to use the console to fiddle with things.
    Enjoy.

22. XOIIO Apprentice Engineer

Gasp, you mean that you can't pause multiplayer games? Since when?

Doesn't take much to open a menu and turn on the gravity generator as you are moving.

23. Laughingmac Trainee Engineer

Now i'm having an issue with the blocks because i make these apc style vehicles and i want to use merge blocks or landing gears to hold one with a small ship and be able to fly low to an asteroid or base and drop it off but there is no possible way i have found to fly these vehicles over somewhere without loosing total control, so i think that maybe the blocks should be changed because even when they are off they cause my ship to go nuts

24. Dreokor Senior Engineer

The Necros....At least the image was funny.

If you use merge blocks you could turn off either the gravity gen or the artificial mass block and turn it on when you're going to deploy it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  25. Hatchie Apprentice Engineer

Practical solution is tu use timer block to do the multiple thing at the same time (switching AM block on, grav gen on, merge/landing gears off)... Or ofc programming but I have no in game experience with it so far

26. blizzerd Apprentice Engineer

Why is it so hard to make a firing procedure with timer blocks?

timer block prep(fired)
    {
    start timer block inside torpedo
    (maybe) start timer block that reenables gravity gen
    disable landing gear
    (maybe) disable gravity gen
    }

timer block inside torpedo(1 second delay)
    {
    turn on mass block
    }

now all you need is to fire (or start with delay) the "prep" timer block, can be done from cockpit with 1 button.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
  27. Infekted Apprentice Engineer

Thread is old, very very old. No longer the same issues what with all the extra toys we have these days.
    Namely:
    Being able to hotkey actions.
    Timer blocks for multiple actions.
    Programmable blocks for complicated actions.

All of which did not exist when this thread was posted...

28. soat7ch Junior Engineer

Why, just why do some people have such a hard time understanding that?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.