Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Asteroid deformation glitch just destroyed my mining rig

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by AutoMcD, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. eagle8987 Trainee Engineer

I've had this happen multiple times as well, always on multiplayer.
    For me, right clicking always causes error after 5-10 seconds.
    Normal drilling I've only had it happen with >=4 drills on. It happens more often the closer I am to other players, so maybe connected maybe coincidence.

On steam forum, saw suggestion that said to "poke" asteroid before drilling, which you have to do right now anyways to get ore detector to work. Does not actually work.

I've only had stone generate, despite what ore I might be mining at that point.

No sensors on the ship, no mods, no other glitches or bugs to speak of.

2. Shade Trainee Engineer

I have had this happen to me on three different asteroids, one of them I can't go near it any more, it just keeps spawning more rock around it, it has eaten up an other asteroid near it. this is a problem that needs to be fixed, if you can't mine for ore with out dieing, it gets a little frustrating.

3. StormX Trainee Engineer

To contribute by process of elimination... I've never experienced this bug despite extensive drilling using a ship not unlike the OP's on literally dozens of asteroids.

Some potentially relevent details:
    - I only activate my dual drills using on/off toggle based on a shortcut group on my UI bar. I always activate them before I "touch" the surface.
    - I have an ore derector... but no sensors.
    - I play solo survival locally.
    - My PC is highly spec'ed (i7 4Ghz, 16Gb, SSD storage, 2 x GTX780 SLI running 2460x1600 in fullscreen mode) so I rarely get any system lag.

Reading the various posts I wonder if there is a rendering delay or glitch that makes players fly into a location a location that is already occupied by ore.

4. sky-knight Trainee Engineer

I registered to the forum to throw in my report on this bug. I've seen this deformation glitch, and honestly I thought it was a feature until it sheered the front half of a large grid ship off. I've got another player that had a small mining craft self destruct while docking due to a small shard appearing while docking. And another that lost a cargo container full of ore to the same. We've been having quite a fun time with it, even if it's frustrating sometimes.
    I'm running the 64bit dedicated Windows server, which is limited to my stream group. There are 5 people playing on it currently, including myself. The large grid drill ship has 9 drills on the face, and should I use the right click mining mode at any time for more than 3-4 seconds I'll either create one of the odd cube shaped deformations, or shards of rock that remind me of high clouds. I've only seen stone deform, never another material. It doesn't matter who on my server uses the ship either. Nothing on my server has a sensor, the mining craft in question consists of small thrusters, conveyor tubes, drills, a single gyro, a small reactor, and a pilots seat. It's pretty minimalistic the design only inclusive of three light armor blocks. I can provide the blue print should the need arise, but honestly I think this is a bug in the drilling itself not the ship.

The screenshot posted here of an odd shaped cube artifact reflects what I've seen, though I'd like to note that when this artifact manifests it's often invisible, or only partially visible. Second time I saw it this afternoon the space was opaque from one side, but transparent from another. Having the game client disconnect, and reconnect solved the visibility problem and the squashed cube(s) became visible. These artifacts were made out of stone, and could be harvested for more stone via more mining. Indeed, we've been clearing them by mining the artifacts with the same ship that created them.

5. PaladinX333 Apprentice Engineer

My experiences are similar. The only difference between your post and my experience is that I don't turn the drills on until I am right up against the asteroid. My system specs are the same except that you have WAY more video card that I do. There are two sensors on my ship that let me know when I am too close to the asteroid.

I worry about this bug every time I play. I am hoping that someone can find a definitive cause and that it is not just random chance.

6. StormX Trainee Engineer

Paladin if you're also playing solo survival.. then the only difference appears to be turning on drills late. I assume you're running Win7-64bit and smooth FPS.

Be interesting to see if turning on your drills before touching surface eliminates the bug... cos I reckon the issue is incomplete rendering of tiny, partial or deformed objects.

7. Geneticus Senior Engineer

I had both issues happen to me last night.

16x16 grid of drills, drilled about 20m into an asteroid to make a nice square tunnel for a base. As soon as I backed out the back of my ship ripped off as if I hit a fragment, but the place the fragment hit my ship was not a place where there was any asteroid material before I started drilling ( i.e. it was off the surface of the roid about 50m from the surface I started drilling.

The second time I was about halfway through the center of an asteroid in the same ship when the back of the ship started rotating down and clipped into the wall of the asteroid. My speed indicator showed something like -23948576234 m/s, but my screen was frozen and I had to reload my save to get unstuck.

Its times like these I wish the auto-save saved a rolling set of like 5 sequential saves that were separate from manual saves.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
  8. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

sky-night,
    yes this one was only partially visible as well. one of the sides is not there or doesn't render or something.

I didn't post those screenshots because i thought they were very confusing to look at.. but we are all definitely talking about the same bug here.

9. sky-knight Trainee Engineer

And of course today it's working flawlessly, so it is an intermittent nightmare to track.

The game server was never even restarted, the only changes are the advancement of time, and the replacement of the hard disk in my edge router. Which may indicate a packet loss component to this.

10. Geneticus Senior Engineer

Nope. It happens in SP mode. That rules out network issues.

11. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

yes, the event screenshotted in OP was in single player

12. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

This is still a thing. Screenshot taken in SP Creative world, current patch, 64bit Win7.

[​IMG]

I crashed a (small) large ship laden with explosives into the asteroid. That's where the crater in the upper area came from. The detonation also produced those strange, squarish chunks hanging out in empty space in the foreground.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
  13. PaladinX333 Apprentice Engineer

Yes, solo survival and 64bit Windows 7. My FPS is great unless I project a HUGE blueprint while using 675 welders... then it's lag city. This asteroid bug is quite odd in it's apparent randomness.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.