Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Auto Dampeners - Stop Hand-Holding!

Discussion in 'General' started by RandomJr, Dec 8, 2018.

1. RandomJr Trainee Engineer

Hey everyone. This is my first post on this forum, so don't hate me if this is a common thread topic. ;)

I wanted to see if others agreed with my opinion that so many player-mobility options are currently limited by the game's current code which engages your jetpack dampeners once the player moves out of a gravity field. I have several design ideas that involve flinging and/or smooth transfers between competing gravity fields that are ruined when I am betrayed by my own jetpack. :mad:

There may be good reasons that the code is done in this way, but from what I have seen simply playing the game, I've never been thankful for this function. I would rather have to manually engage my dampeners should the need arise.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Jarin Trainee Engineer

Agreed. At the very least, it should be a settings toggle.

3. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

Can't you simply disable dampening my pressing "Z"?

4. anders w Apprentice Engineer

agreed. this has been an issue for me as well. i do believe there is a mod that disables the auto engaging of jetpack

5. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

This doesn't happen to me as much as it used to, but I believe even if you have your jetpack turned off it will still automatically come on if you "fall" far enough.

When this game launched there was no gravity. When the Artificial Gravity block arrived a lot of people found themselves embarking on their own personal adventure, boldly going where no one had ever gone before, because they slipped off that platform in Easy Start Space and inertial dampening doesn't work when the jetpack is off. If your character got shoved overboard without your knowledge you might find yourself with no choice but to hit the backspace key. For this reason players asked that the jetpack turn itself on.

I've never heard anyone complain about that feature but, given the amount of complaints I have heard, I wouldn't be surprised if this one slipped through the cracks ;). I'm pretty sure you will need a mod to turn a jetpack off and keep it off.