Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Automated shipyard released!

Discussion in 'General' started by rexxar, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. rexxar Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 4
  2. Lothos Apprentice Engineer

reminds of a BC quarry in minecraft :)

fwiw, I use another shipyard mod and set it up to repair ships as they pass thru my hangar doors.

3. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

@rexxar btw i'd like to apologize for turning your testing-offer down. Pretty sure i remember it now and i think it was a mix of not playing at the time and, well, my oppinion on mods :woot: in hindsight i wish i had broken it during testing for you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. rexxar Senior Engineer

@Commander Rotal haha, don't worry about it. Just build something cool so I can post it on the workshop page!

5. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

[​IMG]

I've got an idea or two. As far as functionality goes i think there's a bit of a problem with memory leak going on, at least with Welding. Which is btw not a problem with the mod, that's an issue with vanilla Welders as well. Something smaller, maybe.... i am thinking... Runabouts.

6. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

WOW just wow! :tu:

7. Captain Broadstairs Apprentice Engineer

The building worked well, although I didn't see any visual effects so there may be something wonky there, but the shipyard builds and grinds ships on demand and that is the important part!

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I already prepped a monolithic base with tons of large reactors, large cargo, and a pimped out TIM system. I just have to find the time to add the shipyard blocks. I'll post a picture when done.

9. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

@rexxar forum says i'm not allowed to start conversations with you :/

Just thought i throw a little bug report your way. Unfortunately i keep running into a problem where the Shipyard Corner Blocks just stop working. They'll start grinding, stop almost immediately and the Welding/Grinding-options will be grayed out. Sometimes turning them on and off will fix it, sometimes not; sometimes throwing down more Reactors will fix it (maybe it's a problem with energy consumption? It seems to happen especially when changing any settings on the beams.), sometimes clicking through the individual Corner Blocks will fix it. It doesn't seem to be consistent when it occurs or how it fixes itself. I've included a world for replication, a log file and a video, maybe it helps finding out what's wrong here. (Also i noticed that mirroring is completely broken with the Corner Blocks.)

The Shipyard is just one i had laying around; from the Workshop description i totally didn't realize that they can use regular Conveyors :p that will make fitting them into a design much, much easier; i've got an idea or three but all of them but one will require a completely new build soooo no promises on when. Bit busy with WoW right now, i apparently volunteered to by my clones designated tank. I was actually trying to produce a grinding-down timelapse for that video, hence the music :woot: i'll give it another shot some time during the week.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=779307069

These pictures are just there for you, they're not representative since both the Dry Dock and the ship are only very early prototypes :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One question regarding the mod's functionality, btw: is the Voxel-support a gameplay-decision or a technical thing? It would be great if a World with Unsupported Stations wouldn't require it. Gonna have to look for the smallest Asteroid possible :woot: dunno, maybe i can hide it in a Hangar.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lothos Apprentice Engineer

maybe the glitch is because its an Intrepid class? :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. rexxar Senior Engineer

@Commander Rotal You need MOAR POWAH! At the settings in your world you need about 10 times the reactors you have. It works fine once I turn down the grind speed.

13. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Absolutely possible. Look at what it did to the poor Borg.

Thanks! o7

[​IMG]

Holy Shi.....pyard Power Consumption.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. rexxar Senior Engineer

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You had the grind speed all the way up at 2. The point is to discourage people from using really high speeds because it causes bad lag :(

Also, I missed your question about voxel support. Mostly it's just a decision I made for gameplay/balance reasons. K4t and I are talking about a new type of shipyard block that lets you create limited mobile shipyards. That said, I made the decision a long time ago, so some of the shipyard logic does depend on everything being stationary.

15. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

:/
    Another thing: Welding a projection works but still doesn't produce beams. Also HOLY SHIT dat Welding memory leak.

Yeah i got that, i was wondering about stationary grids no longer needing Voxels. :)

16. rexxar Senior Engineer

I was actually sad when they made that change, because it broke a lot of my code. I have to actually go myself and check if a ship is anchored to a voxel now.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Azirahael Apprentice Engineer

Any chance we can get the power consumption lowered?

I think the cost to run a large shipyard should be high.
    But not insane.

18. rexxar Senior Engineer

no

19. Azirahael Apprentice Engineer

So, i'm gonna change it.

Any tips on where to look for the power consumption?

20. rexxar Senior Engineer

Uh, what do you mean you're gonna change it? The math is hardcoded, you can't change it.

21. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

@Azirahael

Dude, this shipyard thing is OP as hell (and also amazing). It makes all other construction techniques utterly obsolete in principle.

You can build any ship design as fast as a self welding ship and with a product that doesn't have the parasitical mass of internal welders, it makes grinding pits obsolete, it makes combat repairs almost arbitrarily trivial.

It needs to be almost impossible to afford at larger scales because otherwise it completely breaks all of the core building mechanics in the vanilla game.

22. Spets Master Engineer

I'm one of those who hates to weld a big ship in survival, it takes too much time, work, and going back and forth 1000 times. Not to mention when you miss a block inside the ship because your welder just decided to weld the outer part first. Even tho, I also agree that the Power needed is maybe too high, you need a tower building filled with reactors... but it really don't bother me that much. And I don't think this will become vanilla, even though Xocliw really want this in the game. But if they decided to put this in the game, it should be optional, like an easy feature for the lazy people like me. Because I know there are people who like to build their ship manually and slowly, crazy people who even uses 1x1x1x. And even that they know they can just chose to not use certain features, they will complain only because it is there and Devs are ruining "their" game.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  23. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

This is Amazing!

24. Azirahael Apprentice Engineer

It's not an easy feature.

The Nano Assembler mod (broken) is an easy feature.
    Kinda expensive (super conductor & grav gen parts) and kinda expensive to run (needs it's own reactor).
    But you put it down, hook it up, and it works on anything in 300-500m.

This, in addition to needing a frame built, larger than the vehicle you're intending to build, needs a reactor stack, almost the size of the vehicle you're intending to build.

In terms of building, it's only more convenient in terms of automation.
    Building multiple ships.

But if say, you want to build a big ship, you can build a big ship, or you can build a big shipyard, and a reactor stack of similar size, and then go get the uranium to power it.

Uh. This is easier?

Not that it's not a good mod, just that it needs some tweaking.

Losing material because the shipyard is too big?
    To run at full capacity, you need a reactor stack the size of the shipyard?
    Um, not the best ideas.

This is from the Nanite mod: "If you'd like to have it cost a bit less, you can actually adjust it's total component cost via the config file. Look for 'FactoryComponentMultiplier' and adjust that. 1.0 is standard, 0.5 would be half of each component type, 2.0 would be double etc."

I'd suggest something like this.
    So that the author can publish it the way they think it should be, and people who disagree can tweak it to suit themselves.

25. rexxar Senior Engineer

I don't care what the nanite mod does. Power use is high to discourage you from building super huge shipyards and running them very fast.

If you want your shipyard to use less power, make it smaller or turn down the speed. Those are your options.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Azirahael Apprentice Engineer

Wow. You're kind of a dick.

And yes, i want to build a huge shipyard, and run it moderately fast.
    This mod is not much use for constructing a small ship.
    It would take longer to build the shipyard and the reactor, than the ship.

But whatever.
    Someone will build a similar mod and replace you.
    Or edit your mod and repost it for others to use.
    Hmm.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  27. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Before i continue: i generally agree, the power required for high speeds seem to be on the... excessive side and i'd prefer it to be lowered for Creative (not only but mostly for performance reasons. Many Reactors means many special blocks... and many, many, many more Conveyor Ports.... i wonder if i can get away with Batteries and Solar Panels. Those technically don't have Conveyors, right?).
    However.

Well, first, that depends on both the shipyard and the ship you're building, and keep in mind: once built you're going to reuse the shipyard. You're not building one for every new ship unless every new ship is bigger than the previous version.
    Secondly: if it's that much of a hassle to build the shipyard in Survival (which i agree it probably would be, i'm not a big fan of Survival in general) - just set it up in Creative first or ask a Server Admin to do it for you.
    Thirdly: as of this writing the Shipyard is a mod. Contrary to the vanilla version of the game it is under absolutely no obligation to be balanced or Survival-friendly.
    Fourthly: personally i'd prefer it if the Shipyard simply had a lower maximum speed for Welding but either way, there's a good reason for the high power consumption - to discourage performance problems. Rexxar's main concern is lag; me personally i'm more worried about the Memory Leak that happens when you use the game's welding mechanic. Whether you use the Shipyard or a vast array of Vanilla Welders doesn't matter; there WILL be a lightning-fast build up of RAM use which can and will crash the game within minutes if left unchecked. Trying to record a timelapse for Rexxar it up to crash-amounts within three-ish minutes, and there is little to nothing that can be done to fix this on his end. Not with a mod.

Sir - or Ma'am -, your very first post in this thread included calling his design decision "insane". And the next one goes right into "Well, lemme use your code unasked"-territorry. And now this:
    Yeah no, taking what's other peoples' stuff and changing it - that's a quick and easy way to make yourself unpopular. Especially unasked. Barging in and calling well intentioned design choices insane is a moderately close second. It's a free mod mate, take it, leave it... or use a Warp Core mod. That's what i plan to do. Once you're using one mod you might as well go wild. @Stardriver907 my Shipyard's going to include twice as many mods as yours!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. DuneD Junior Engineer

If you guys just want to grind / weld faster just change the settings in sandbox.sbc.
    My current world uses this settings:

<WelderSpeedMultiplier>50</WelderSpeedMultiplier>
    <GrinderSpeedMultiplier>50</GrinderSpeedMultiplier>

It does the job fast :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. rexxar Senior Engineer

How the hell do you even have enough power for that? o_O

30. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.