Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Automated shipyard released!

Discussion in 'General' started by rexxar, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

I play 1x 1x 1x. Self building architecture makes it pretty painless.

2. Azirahael Apprentice Engineer

Oh totally correct.

Mind you, the 'not insane' comment was hyperbole. As in 'I'm working an insane amount of overtime' rather than, 'if you think this you are clearly insane.'

But, i didn't like their tone.
    So i see no reason to be nice to them.

But yeah, i was looking to use this mod to build a very large carrier, now that the nanite mod doesn't work any more.
    Given (from the vid provided) the *exhorbitant* power cost, it might not be worth it.

The warp core mod is a good idea. I'll look into that when i get home.
    Cheers.

3. rexxar Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

shipyard mod updated (look at the custominfo pane bottom right)

• Like Like x 1
  4. noxLP Junior Engineer

@Azirahael Seems that Rotal said it already, but i was coming here just to say it too, if you're using mods there are various modded reactors that brings large amounts of power. They are expensive in terms of components too, for sure, but you know it's survival, if cost doesn't go up with powerful things what's the point of playing survival? Go creative and done.

I haven't tested this thing yet, but only seeing this thread and videos i know it's super powerful for sure, it's not a matter of how much it does cost, it can weld massive ships without you having to do anything? So if i'm playing at SP i can just let the PC welding and go working, eating, whatever for hours... and it's better than the nanite factory? :p It's worth even to build a new ship for mining all the reactors components.

I have some plans for this one and my survival space elevator, it would be great if @rexxar did it mobile, but i think i can use the static one too.

Besides that, a question for @rexxar : i understand that the power goes up with the shipyard size, but the power calculations takes the 3D volume or some sort of 2D blocks count? F.i. a shipyard really large in only one axis, but the other two axis just two or three blocks, it will calculate the actual volume, right? Not only the large axis.

5. DuneD Junior Engineer

Hey, it doesnt seem to be scaling properly with the world settings, I was using a single large reactor to build ships with those settings, aslong as I have materials it builds it instantly.

6. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

While I understand the reason for high power consumption as this is essentially flip it on and do all the heavy lifting for you... Perhaps a compromise could be compatability with the power upgrade modules? They could go on the spots next to the conveyor ports.

Just pitching numbers for example, but how about a 0.50% decrease per module. 6 modules for a corner and 8 corners make for 48 modules and a total of 24% reduced power consumption.

What say you rexxar?

7. Seff Apprentice Engineer

I'm not rexxar, but I'd say that the cost of upgrade modules is irrelevant compared to the energy savings you'd get from them. If he was going to add upgrade ports for the power efficiency modules, he might as well just reduce power usage by whatever amount the modules would and add some more steel and a little bit of nickel to the block recipe.

8. rexxar Senior Engineer

I really don't like upgrade modules.

9. Seff Apprentice Engineer

I like them on refineries and assemblers. They just make zero sense on these shipyards. :B

Personally, the only thing I really want to see is the oft-requested version that doesn't require voxel anchors. Even if it maxes out at a lower build speed, still requires that you come to a complete stop, etc. Otherwise I'm going to have to find an asteroid to anchor my carrier to every time I want to use the shipyard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lothos Apprentice Engineer

I don't understand what everyone's problem is with meeting power demands. Just build more reactors or whatever.

11. Azirahael Apprentice Engineer

It's not that you have to build some reactors.
    It's not that you have to build a few.
    It's that you have to build a hell of a lot of reactors.
    IF you watch the vid above, you'll see rotal built several hundred reactors, and it still wasn't enough.

12. Sarekh Senior Engineer

I know how this conversation would already be over on the Nexus. "you don't like that mod that someone has made for free for all? Fine, move along quietly"

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Seff Apprentice Engineer

Rotal is like the definition of edge-case usage. Her shipyard is absolutely massive, she had the max number of beams, and she had grind/weld speed maxed. Those three things are exactly what the energy use is based on. Seriously, with grind speed 2.0 and 3 beams, it's like you having 8 friends with 6-grinder utility ships all tearing something down while you just kick back and relax. Also, they never have to stop and dock up to empty their cargo or crash into things and ruin everything forever, saving even more time.

14. Lothos Apprentice Engineer

again, wtf is the problem? build more god damned reactors if you're going to build the shipyard the size of Tokyo. Rexxar said power consumption increases with size and it seems like its more than fair on the consumption to size ratio.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The number of reactors needed depends on the SCALE that you're wanting to build. If you're building small utility ships then it's not so costly in power. If you want to build your epic battleship... then it's going to cost you plenty. But I find this very reasonable as being able to just spam major warships without a high cost of some sort ruins the game.

The only thing I would like to see is the shipyard be configured based on what end blocks are OnOff_On rather than the absolute count of blocks in the grid. Being able to reconfigure the size of the working shipyard quickly would be nice as a small ship built in a shipyard meant for an epic cruiser is a bit of a waste.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. rexxar Senior Engineer

Not a bad point, Ronin. I'll think about letting you turn off some of the corners. That way you can turn off all but one corner, and put a small ship right in front of it. You won't lose many components and power use will be really low.

17. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Y'all ain't seen nothin' yet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  18. noxLP Junior Engineer

It's a really good point, even if you build all the reactors needed by the whole big shipyard, you could not only turn off the reactors but move the uranium easily with an inventory script.
    --- Automerge ---
    Btw, i've just read this formula for the energy: 120 + diagonalLength^2 * beamCount * multiplier. So my question about volume is solved... and pointless :p (really, this forum emotes... where are rolleyes, blushed, etc).

19. Lothos Apprentice Engineer

Hmm, Rotal just gave us her "Hold my beer" line :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Fair enough. Currently I'm building the shipyard in such a way that I can sub-divide the cube into a smaller cube relatively quickly, remove unneeded corners, weld up corners in some pre-slotted places and make a smaller cube. Being able to turn off a corner or corners and save power/components (but lose time efficiency of only having a fraction of the corners active) would seem a fair way to weld up/break down smaller ships and not have to build a separate base. Though I'm thinking that I may just do that and connect both bases via a connector.
    --- Automerge ---

I'm using TIM to manage my reactor inventories. I have one station reactor that's left on. The others I'll turn on as power demands increase. I use TIM to give a healthy supply of uranium to my main reactor. I then keep a minimal amount in the other reactors that TIM will replenish each time it cycles. So basically each additional reactor gets like 25-50 ingots and TIM will top them up for me as they burn through them. Shipyards are very expensive. But that's all about balance.

21. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Major Edit: it worked! After relentless retrying it finally accepted the upload. Have fun! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=782258267 bring a supercomputer.

Unfortunately i have troubles uploading my Dry Dock to the Workshop, and testing indicates it's because of the Shipyard mod :/

[​IMG]

The world as-is has two mods in it, the ARC Reactor and the Shipyard. It publishes without issue when removing both mods or just the ARC Reactor mod. Refuses to upload when the Shipyard mod is asigned :(

The version without mods can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=782114292 but be advised that this thing is a PC Killer. There are dedicated mounting points in eight of the fake joints but since i didn't anticipate people to place them by themselfs i didn't indicate them.

As a side note: there's most definitely some kind of maximum viewing distance going on with the beams but i haven't done any testing on this.

I have neglected to include Cargo Containers, Refineries or Assemblers on the grounds that i... uh... overdid it a little. This thing's never gonna see a Survival World. I'll whip up something smaller for that.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  22. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

As of 10-16-16:

Survival 1-1-1 via dedicated server.

Grinding:

Any ship that is squarely within the confines of the shipyard will be ground down. The only issue is that when power gets above 50% usage some redlining occurs up to around 60%. After 60% power usage you may experience a brown-out or total black-out of power. Considering the high power usage, that 50% is pretty costly for larger shipyards.

Welding:

I can somewhat weld. If I attach a projector to the shipyard structure it will weld up the skeleton of the ship being projected. The welder will quit after about 2 seconds then need to be reactivated. I can fudge this with a looping timer block. Then once the skeleton is done, I can release it from the shipyard and then use the welding function to flesh out the ship. That's a bit dangerous if the projected ship decides to drift.

I can't get the shipyard to weld a projection from a free floating ship. I've tried with the host ship fully inside the shipyard. I have also tried with the host ship partially out of bounds (yellow boxed). Still no welding.

I have also tried welding a starter block by hand on the projection. Still no luck.

The projection being welded does contain one mod. It has a hologram table and spinning radar dish. The projection is 41 blocks wide, 13 tall (including 6 of which is headroom for turrets), and 53 blocks long.

I'm a little hesitant to attach such a big ship to a station because of a bug that's causing stations to be reoriented on asteroids. There's a lot invested in this base considering the power usage.

23. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Is there a more detailed instruction on how to build the shipyard? I have 3 parts, corner, conveyor and conveyor connectors. How do I have to place them to get a functional shipyard? Are the conveyors 2-side connectors or do they connect on all sides? I think it is a nice alternative to the nanite control factory, should the mod not be fixed again (At the moment there is a working version on workshop). However, before trying it out I would like some additional information, like how to place which tile and can it also construct and weld small grids?

24. Spets Master Engineer

I have built a shipyard that it is 10 times smaller (maybe more) than Rotal's shipyard, and I had to stop because the performance was getting bad, like 15, 20 fps :/ on a planet tho...

25. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

The Conveyors are mostly there because the laser running through them looks damn cool but you can use the regular SE Vanilla Conveyors - which allows more intricate building options for the Conveyor System as the Mod-Conveyors are 2-Port only, like the vanilla Conveyor Tube (though one variant allows you to place it on other blocks). You only need the Shipyard Corners (arranged in a perfect box; their mirroring is buggered so check if they are all oriented correctly. The little triangles are supposed to look inwards. It doesn't matter how you arrange the Conveyors, though with the mod-included ones you're going to be bound into building a box-shape.), hooked up to the same Conveyor Grid and anchored to a Voxel, for it to work, plus a metric iso-ton of Reactor power. I have not tried welding small grids; i would assume welding in Survival should work but i'm drawing a blank as how it would weld projections unless it detects a Projector mounted via Rotor-Trick.

@rexxar i noticed something - it's impossible to move a ship while it's being grinded, is that intentional? Kinda looks like the ship is held via Tractor Beam, which is awesomesauce, but it doesn't seem intentional.

26. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Really? On the release day I was still able to fly a ship out that was being grinded as far as I remember... Gotta try that out

27. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Thx alot for the info

28. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I think there may be issues with memory leaks if you leave a ship within the bounding box of the shipyard (ship highlighted in yellow box). I did this on my own server and came back to 90% ram usage. I moved the ship out of the yard and then stopped and restarted the server. Memory usage leveled out around 5GB for the entire system of the available 16GB.

29. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I can't confirm it for simply leaving the ship where it was but memory leakage from welding projections is alive and well as always. But that's not the mod's fault, i had the same issues when i printed a Galaxy with Vanilla Welders.

• Informative Informative x 1
  30. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Thanks for the heads up. So welding causes memory leaks? Damn leaky welders.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.