Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Auto's Creations

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by AutoMcD, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

That script is good eh?

I'll wait for the WMI version of course.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

If he fixes it up, of course. It's just too quirky for me to stick with right now.

3. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Pretty sure you need to have all the gyros with the same name.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Lol I'm not adding in a manual override, it makes the safety system sluggish and nigh useless. Well technically the off button is my override :p

5. Krougal Senior Engineer

Don't lie. We know you've spent several days trying to figure out how to fit the Amanda Tapping in Sabrinas hangar. I told you it needed more cargo space, but nooooo.

So Hanz holds up pretty well on cargo ship raiding. Unfortunately it doesn't hold up so well to my sub-par piloting ability.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Hanz and Mini updated: Fixed recursive blueprint error. By removing the blueprints. :(

• Like Like x 1
  7. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Working on updating Mini for something more versatile and friendly to early game. Hydrogen thrusters require no platinum and this thing is much faster, and can actually deal with planet gravity.

Another obvious change is programming blocks and display panels. One of them will be flight information/fuel/weight.
    The other will be to manage blueprints for shipyard duty.
    I want to implement shipyard feature using script instead of several projectors.
    http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/3d-printer-blueprints-manager-script.7377873/
    @Dr. Fuzenstein seems like a cool dude. I have some changes to request but need to finish getting my head wrapped around this script first! This seems like the key to getting around the recursive blueprint projector error (and redundant parts).

This isn't the final form yet. In the shower this morning I realized I want the connector on the bottom and merge block on the back...
    So the new ship will probably replace Hanz and Mini entirely as a multi-role configurable ship. On board will be blueprint upgrades for ion speeder, atmo speeder, military, cargo, solar charger, etc. As previously mentioned, the core will be suitable to be built on planets (no platinum, battery power, plenty of ice). The size might inflate a bit, maybe more like Hanz sized but lighter to include a solar panel (such cargo space would be an add-on that includes massive thrust).
    The primary goal remains the same, general purpose mobility and build from cockpit, hovering around. Welders/grinder options are in store of course. I probably will not make a mining variant, my "stepping stones" survival path involves something more like the Nomad (large ship drill slapped on something small, built from spawn ship).
    My small-grid miners all end in something that over-eats and gets stuck, or the game just crashes as soon as drilling starts. I guess they do have uses though, when they fix bug I'll add it later.

Anyways let me know if you have opinions or ideas, I'll be happy to work them in. :)
    @Krougal btw I am definitely considering what you said about making the upgrade modules detachable/interchangeable.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Krougal Senior Engineer

About time :p Did you fix the pivot points too?

Looking good! LCD panels are a very handy feature (I started using the fighter cockpit LCD mod, but good to have vanilla solutions...and really out of that mod only the center block is legible).
    Extra thrust in the front especially will help, old Mini very hard to stop!
    If I had to choose between spotlight and foreward camera, I'd go with the camera (Remote control and/or sniping). Can't tell if you moved it under the gatling or just removed it.
    I've been eyeballing that script too. Would be good if you can squeeze a 3rd PB in, for docking script (which JV has provided me a great lightweight script, runs off 1 PB, no timer). +1 for connector on bottom, makes docking much easier.
    The solar panel...meh...it's nice to have for emergencies but I wouldn't make myself crazy trying to fit it in. I found it was very seldom useful on Hanz.
    Most of the time too busy to worry about where the sun is, although I guess on planet it might be easier.
    Someday I'm going to figure out how that build from cockpit thing works.

Concurr on the SG drilling.
    On grinding, finding LGear "work clamps" very useful. Mount next to and flush with grinder end, autolock on.

9. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Sounds good. Can you link me to the docking script? I'll work it in.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Krougal Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  11. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

12. Krougal Senior Engineer

I looked at his as well. For a non-drone ship I wouldn't want it to be automatic.
    Most of the time I would consider it non-desired behavior. Grinding or towing for example, where I want the gear to autolock to the work, but don't want it to shut the ship down.
    Granted you could fix that by using only the connector lock state as the trigger.

The biggest issue though, is if all the power is turned off and you unlock the connector, the timer is dead in the water so it's pretty complicated (if not outright impossible I guess you could use turning battery to discharge/turning a reactor on as the trigger for undocking sequence) to fully automate the undocking process when it includes messing with power settings. We discussed some stuff here http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/looking-for-a-few-good-scripts.7378352/

If you want something automated, @Wicorel has a pretty sophisticated WIP, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=571364878

13. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

Both of those scripts sound very intriguing and I will have to check them out.

I did mine mostly as a quick feature for my submission in Auto's space train contest. Definitely not as feature rich as the other ones. The "Automated Docking Procedures" pretty much does what mine does, and more. Only difference is that mine was meant to be automatic (I use 'P' a lot out of habit, so it works for me).

Now if I can just not get so burnt out on coding from work.... :(

14. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

https://steamcommunity.com/app/244850/discussions/0/458607699618873323/

Sabrina is a shoe-in on this contest. Just tested her with 842k of iron ore, can lift it to space from 1G without even using hydrogen. Half the block limit, all other requirements met.

...except the airtight hangar.
    I'm trying to decide if I should actually put doors on it or just eat the 15 points.
    They do fit ok I guess, just reduces hangar space a bit.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

16. Krougal Senior Engineer

Where are the doors? Or did you not update the screenshot? Haven't had a chance to load her up.

So I think I figured out why the small ships were just not responding sometimes (at least when around LG...the voxel problem was another thing but that seems fixed....SG mining is really easy last patch or 2).
    It seems like any hitbox around is enough to cause issues. So like near my side connectors on the Vagabond I have a camera and a light, and when I go to land my AML-3A if I don't swing the gear clear I lose thrust even though I'm ramming the key down.
    Nomad had the same thing, and mine was worse because I had fit a gatling turret near the SB connector (and removed the Port one) so it was where I would typically dock Hanz. That combined with the side turrets on Hanz was just bad news even though there was no visible collision. So it's good that you're ditching the side turrets.

17. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Screenshots aren't updated yet..

18. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

19. MrHohenheim Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  20. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

How does this sketchfab witchcraft work?!

21. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

22. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Friends! It's been a while. I sort of had a rage-quit experience and dropped SE for several months.
    But I keep tabs on it.. with all of the updates I've found that some of my designs have become outdated.
    And I'd like some opinions on a new ship.
    [​IMG]

Sabrina still a good solid design, the scripts are a bit snarled up. Just needs an update.
    She's the most capable ship I've built.. Easily takes you from the surface to space, has a good size hangar for small crafts, comfortable inside, etc. A good well rounded ship that I will definitely keep updated.

Prospector, I don't really feel like it. The entire drill boom needs rebuilt, and I don't really like the proportions anymore. Too much interior space, too small of a hangar.. but some thoughts on it I really liked a lot.
    When it was working, it worked well. I want to give the extendable drill boom another go now that we can lock the pistons in place.

Nomad, I like the idea. A smallish ship that's not too large of a project to take on in survival is still a novel idea to me. But this thing (especially after the cargo having mass update, and dampener update) is quite slow, and even slower to stop. It needs hydrogen system.

Soo what I'm thinking is a ship that's sort of in-between the Nomad and the Prospector.
    Let me know what you liked/disliked about the ships, what I should try to incorporate into this new one. Thanks!

23. mhalpern Senior Engineer

one thing that would be cool is for atmospheric use, a vertical quarry style auto mining drone that either returns directly to the ship when at max weight, or a stationary structure that basically just has connectors, batteries and solar panels, and cargo containers, from which a cargo drone picks them up. The drill boon is great for extended space travel, but over all its useless for planets

24. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

True.. then again neither of those ships are compatible for atmospheric use.. fairly certain they pre-date planets entirely!

The planetary capability amounts to a fair amount of Sabrina's size and weight, it's not an easy thing to just slap on. I'm not entirely interested in that for this new ship, especially the atmo engines which are dead weight in space. I'm not opposed of sizing the hydrogen for the encounter with gravity, but I'd prefer to specialize this as a useful and efficient space utility which can dispatch small craft for running to surface. Sort of like, once you get to space this is the first thing you want to make. Mining on the surface is more difficult and sort of pointless once you make it to space. Plenty of ice but rare uranium and platinum.. does this make sense? I'll leave efficient atmo flying to Sabrina.
    Also my planetary mining efforts contributed to the ragequit. Things may be working better now, but I will still relegate it to small craft.

25. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Planetary is good for factories, if you can get an efficient system going...

26. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

WIP.

I call it "Techniker"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Prospector style mining boom proved to be too strong with the clang, even with safety lock. But single rotor swing arm working pretty well, even unlocked it seems surprisingly solid. It doesn't extend as far but it'll work.

As you can see it's a small utilitarian spacecraft. Faster and more capable than Nomad, it features twice as much refining and production ability. New features include hydrogen system and additional arm for welder/grinder tools. A second jump drive, more gyro power, and oversized braking thrust ensure it won't feel minimalist, yet it's all small-thruster design should be merciful to those building in survival. More nooks and crannies to pack in future equipment.

Additional upwards thrust should be able to cope with moon gravity, possibly even large atmospheric planet on pure hydrogen. Testing is required. Atmospheric use is outside its scope of design but I'd like it to be serviceable to moon base.

It's at 75% I'd say. Closing in on final shape, adding features, considerations for docking and stuff.
    --- Automerge ---
    No feedback or ideas? Cmon guys.
    Tell me how you use your ships, I'm building for the masses here. :)

I've decided to use Taladeen's management script to ensure safety stock of all components, it does this by switching assemblers on and off. It means having an assembler for each component type which is inefficient, but they really aren't that expensive or heavy. And I was able to pack them in without much trouble. The convenience of always having components to build with is worth it in my opinion. If they add more access for script to mess with production queue then I could cut back the hardware a bit.
    The script should also keep the inventory orderly and avoid refinery jams.

Solar, not likely for this one. Maybe a few panels if I'm lucky but it won't be significant.
    Did anyone ever use the solar much on the Nomad? I like the idea that parking it in the sun could power most of it.
    The power requirements and compact size of this one make it unpractical.

I made sure the cabin can be pressurized without the jump drives, they are expensive and somewhat optional.

• Like Like x 1
  27. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

I like the folding boom idea. Maybe add a projector to the booms to make it easier to build in survival? Then players can just place a couple of blocks on the rotor head and then weld the rest from a welder ship. Also, i think tubes would look nicer than conveyors, maybe with a few conveyors with vents or something to break it up a little.

As for the nacelles, how do they look if they have only a half slopw instead of a sharp point?

Other than that, I like it, it's a cool looking industrial vessel.

• Like Like x 1
  28. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Thanks! :)
    Projectors definitely in the works. I'll try the tubes.. they do look snazzy and the slimmer profile might help avoid trouble.
    I'm not sure what you mean about the sharp point. On the rear winglets?

29. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

No. I like those. Currently you are using whole 30 degree slopes to taper the front of the nacelles. I'm saying just use half a slope, but keep the thrusters recessed. Does that make sense?

30. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I see, I'll try it out
    --- Automerge ---
    [​IMG]

Thar she is. Improvement?

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.