Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

"Balrog" Inclined Track Floating Arm Trebuchet

Discussion in 'Castle and Warmachines Creations' started by Random, May 31, 2015.

1. Random

Been working on perfecting this for a few weeks and now I'm at the point I want to show it off a little!

Balrog is a more advanced version of the Floating Arm concept. Utilising a sloped track means the arm's peak speed is closer to the point of release. A traditional FAT arm reaches peak speed after release so you waste a lot of energy.

This design features a 508 weight counterweight so it's significantly less weight than most of the long range treb's you see. It can achieve in excess of 800m and I've actually cleared the mountains on the edge of the test range fairly consistantly! Oddly in multiplayer it wont reach quite so far and its not so reliable which I only realised after myself and a friend started recording!

It featured an 8 shot magazine which makes it a little easier to reload though I've been unable to get the new locking rope drums to work with it yet. The counterweight gets stuck on the way up when using them.

Let me know what you think and any other improvements I can make.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Skitzo

impressive setup! the magazine system and compact design look great. One thing that may improve your design is eliminate the arm bounce as it transitions to the angled rail. It doesnt appear to effect the range but may increase overall efficiency which could in turn add distance to your shots.

3. Random

Killing the bounce is a bit of a problem... Its from the way the catch blocks are springy and it varies from shot to shot. I tried using solid axles but they just bound up and reduced range significantly.

I might try supporting both ends of the track with ropes to remove one set of catchblocks

My next design should be less prone to bounce but without the ability to have a curved rail the transition will always be abrupt and lead to bounce I think.

I've also experimented with a small whipper design which works beautifully but is a pain to load.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  4. Random

Odd... latest update has broken it! The arm keeps getting stuck when winching.

5. Yossarian

Wow, nice desing with incredible range

my floating arm trebuchet also got stuck the last times i winched it, so you're not the only one with this problem. It was on a mount on a tower, so I have replacete it with a FCW (fixed counterweight) trebuchet with the range of about 410m, I will post it tomorrow. But it also is acting up lately and converting it in a HCW (Hinged Counterweight) trebuchet produced terrible results ... mabey the damaged something with a patch lately...

6. Random

Glad its not just me!

I'm removing the autoloader and replacing it with a simpler system to reduce the jittering which has also become a problem since the last patch.

With the addition of siege mode these weapons finally have a purpose! So tonight I'm going to properly investigate the sticking problem and try to add a stairway to the top for winching

7. Random

Update: still sticking. Have removed the pin through the counterweight and that doesn't help much.. get a little movement then nothing.

8. Sanfard

I have also encountered this problem with some of my trebuchets since one of the recent updates, and found that it was caused by catch blocks being displaced from their sockets from too much tension:

A solution that worked for me was to add one or more weights onto the ends of the catch blocks to add resistance to displacement:

9. Random

Will give that a try tonight provided I get home at a reasonable time! Do they need to be right next to the catch blocks or could I put them on the ends of my axles etc? Easy way to add more weight too.. Dumbell style!

I wonder what was actually changed in the catch blocks. Also whether additional catch blocks on the rope drums would hold things more rigidly....

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  10. Random

Well that worked perfectly! However the wheels now keep pushing through the track up to the axle! Guess I'll remove em then

11. Random

FIXED IT

Mod wheels dont exhibit the problem so reporting as a bug now.

Edit: turns out Its still a problem, but not as bad.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  12. Random

Recent patch has made this useable again. Getting large stones 900-950m regularly.

I've removed the magazine and added large chests full of stones for Castle Siege. Also added access ramps so it is operable without needing to fly.

I've been experimenting with putting it on wheels but its too heavy to push plus tends to go flying when winching up the arm.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Random

14. Random

Further update after I realised there as an issue with the arm hitting the ground... Added a roof too!