Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Best of January Small Ship Competiton

Discussion in 'General' started by Skeloton, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Skeloton Master Engineer

Disclaimer: Ok, so Ive never done something like this so bare with me. I put it in GD instead of CF due to traffic. If this is against the rules or pointless, let the thread die.

I thought Id do a sort of competition for small craft and out of the entries which one is popular. If this goes well at all, and I don't have high hopes as most of the threads I make die quickly, I may do one for large ships and stations (combined or
    separately I dunno). Enough rambling, the details!!:

The results will be determined by the Voters...yes I know some people will vote for themselves but that's just one vote.

Its why I made it so you must include a workshop file, so people can see it and they can fly it. It up to the voter to choose, they can choose a ship that flies crap but looks cool or looks horrible but flies really well. Or both or neither

Poll will be up on the 20th 12:00 GMT, Entry submissions after then will not be counted.

Rules:
    One entry per person, so choose wisely
    Must be ships made of small blocks
    A Steam workshop file must be included in the entry for voters to try out.

Prize: Bragging rights

Entry format:

<Title>
    <Description;Optional>
    <Workshoplink>
    <Image; if applicable>

For example, and this is my entry (not sure if I should seeing as im in charge of the competition, even though I feel as mine are inferior to everyone elses) :

SI-02/0.3 Little Brother

This is my Little Brother Mk.III, its relatively light, armed with 3 Gatling guns and 2 rocket pods. it has internal storage and reactors all connected by conveyors, the guns are also connected. Its rather agile and its turn rate takes some getting used to.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214374797

[​IMG]

P.s. as of this post its 4am so im going to hit the hay, back to see the lack of responses in about 6hrs.

2. Thalion Apprentice Engineer

I'd like to take part but unfortunately my workshop has its own will and doesn't let me set entries to public.

3. DutchVictim Apprentice Engineer

I'll be uploading my personal favorite later today. But i think you already know which spacecraft i'm going to upload Skeloton. ;)

4. jimbobslimbob Trainee Engineer

5. MagmaBurn_NL Apprentice Engineer

The bear

Small attack fighter

[​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214461496

6. Thalion Apprentice Engineer

Is there a way for all to know the evaluation criteria - as an fair transparency measure.

7. Skeloton Master Engineer

The results will be determined by the Voters...yes I know some people will vote for themselves but that's just one vote.

It why I made it so you must include a workshop file, so people can see it and they can fly it. It up to the voter to choose, they can choose a ship that flies crap but looks cool or looks horrible but flies really well.

8. Valdemar |FIN| Junior Engineer

9. Admiral Yuki Apprentice Engineer

How will the be rated?

10. Skeloton Master Engineer

11. DutchVictim Apprentice Engineer

Well, i think it's time to show off my fighter then:
    001-Wasp-CI-N
    [​IMG]

Suprise, Suprise, i bet you didn't guess that i would be uploading this, do you?...
    ...Ofcourse you would knew it. It's my favorite spaceship current to date!

This ship was basically build to be as compact, cheap and easy as possible. Thanks to it's design, you can stow them anywere on your ship were ever you have room for this compact interceptors. It has a good acceleration,
    manoeuvrability and comes equipped with 4 gatling guns! It only lacks in armor though, so don't expect it to last long in battle. But what it lacks in armor, it makes up for it's small size and numbers.

Link to the workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214589907

12. Spaceballs Trainee Engineer

My Rapier Light Fighter

I wanted to make a PVP server fighter as light as possible with the following properties:

-1 Large reactor
    -1 medium cargo container (Possible blockade runner role considering cargo capacity, speed and mass)
    -a conveyor line connecting it all.
    -as many large thrusters as I could squeeze onto it
    -minimal armor
    -aesthetics was the last concern
    -make it fast as possible

This is the result.

stats are:

17,795kg (10,837kg armorless)
    125Gw
    22 thrusters(4large)
    4 Gyro
    4 gun
    2 rocket
    2 antenna

Workshop Link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. paswert Junior Engineer

[​IMG]

My 'Gunship' , unfortunately no turrets (need to fix rotor dimensions on small ships)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214619412

14. Rico Junior Engineer

Bragging rights ? Nice :D

Small Fighter called "Stiletto"
    (Can found in my Workshop) <- Follow Link

Equipments
    3 Gatlingguns & Rockedlaunchers, 1 Mineralscanner & 1 Antenna

<strong>Weight
    </strong>86,407 kg

Power
    108 GW

Engines

<strong>Gyros
    </strong>
    0-104,4m/s = 15 sec
    104,4-0m/s = 7 sec

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Skeloton Master Engineer

Just a quick update, I may have to push the poll date back abit.

My Grandfather died yesterday and I'll have to go to the funeral in the following weeks.

16. jimbobslimbob Trainee Engineer

My condolences, I am very sorry to hear that.

17. Kirakira Trainee Engineer

the Shadow Raider

Designed for a roaming 4-man crew, this armored gunboat is perfect for pirates after a big bounty.
    It has 28 large engines and 32 small ones, and plenty of backup and redundant power (never uses more than 40%), 10 missile launchers and 20 gatling guns (each turret has 4 guns and 2 launchers), 34 gyros, 2 melee drills, and it's surprisingly fast and agile for its size. (365,711 kg) It also has 2 medium cargo containers for hauling away your loot.

It's symmetrical horizontally and vertically, so either of the two front cockpits will control the ship and weapons. If both pilots are in the front seats, it may be possible for both weapon types to be fired simultaneously.

In optimal conditions, it should be able to survive in a dogfight if the turrets are manned and alert, as they could very likely deal with small enemy interceptors without taking the pilot's focus away from his own targets.

Fly it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214832510

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Skeloton Master Engineer

Thanks,

Update: I'll be back from the funeral on the 21st, i'll be putting the poll up on the 23rd.

19. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

((Edit: Note: For some reason I found a random small generator lumped externally on the top of the Piranha when I went to test fly it again just now. I'm not sure if it got uploaded like that or not, but it's not supposed to be there. So if you see it, please do go ahead and chop it off.))

This looks fun. I quite like that Bear Attack Fighter. Very nice shape to it. Kinda rugged yet still sleek looking. Here's my entry then...

SF-3R1 Piranha Interceptor / Light Attack Fighter

It wasn't easy choosing which of my own craft to enter for this. Had two others I was considering as good options, but in the end I've decided to put my money on my Piranha. Part of my quest to build a compact yet seriously fast and deadly interceptor. It's look is partly inspired by styles seen in Homeworld. This is my best performing interceptor so far. I definitely recommend giving it a fly. I've been pulling off all sorts of fancy flying and close shave stunts whilst testing this thing. The rocket launcher is kind of an optional piece of kit for it when deployed on more offensive missions, which I decided to leave on for this competition. Despite my best efforts to keep it compact, it actually still has spare room inside for any new blocks or systems that get released.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214937524

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Katana class fighter/semi-bomber - SEPI

Fighters and semi-bombers in this class have huge acceleration and strong front armor, but request skilled pilots who think ahead. SEPI will not forgive pilots mistakes and its recomended turn off inertia dampeners ( Z button ) have almost all thrusters pointing in one direction request pilot skill rotate ship in advance and read enemy moves like true battle veteran. There is enought room inside ship for personal customization and unused space, with posibility remove over 1/3 of ship weight or rearm ship on bomber thanks four weapons holders. Thanks slim ship construction its ideal multipurpose ship for cariers

Download steam link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=215134063

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. verticalspeed Apprentice Engineer

Love this thread.

Here is my entry..

[​IMG]

VS Industries VS-9, "Baby Dragon'. The VS-9, aka 'Baby Dragon', is a short-range, light fighter space craft. Designed in partnership with the SIA (Space Intelligence Agency), the VS-9 is designed to be small and covert. With light weight and manoeuvrability in mind, VS Industries has succeeded in creating an effective craft, with combat capabilities to match.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=215132766

22. Shiliski Apprentice Engineer

This reminds me of one of my own ship designs called the Bare Bones. It's literally a cockpit with thrusters, gyros and a power generator attached to it. It is exactly what it sounds like and reaches top speed in almost no time at all.

I don't know if tiny gnatships like that will be effective, but they certainly are nice in single player for quickly going from point A to point B.

23. The_Director Junior Engineer

[​IMG]
    The 300I Pixel Extended Edition.​
    With over 3 Overhauls, STAGE Productions has perfected the quality of the small ship with speed and maneuverability, balancing firepower and reactor consumption, With our latest version includes a enlarged lower hull while at the same time shorting the overall size, providing more protection then ever before.

Once known as a luxury ship, this stunning update has shown its true colors, vote for STAGE Productions!​
    http://steamcommunity.com

The_Director, CEO of STAGE Productions, member of the AAC

Sub note: You will see the Franklin - 24 in that file as well as a few other small ships, the 300I Pixel Extended is in the rear hanger. Please comment and like there as well, thanks!

24. Nexter Trainee Engineer

When you think about it, these 'Bare-bone' ships will be all you need. I mean, one large Warhead or one Missile would destroy the ship, unless it was really a Large ship made with small ship blocks.

25. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Well only 2 ships have cockpit protection, rest will get instant killed, but there is no multiplayer yet so it dasnt meter. + I have a lot of useles thinks on me ships to and plan to remove them in multiplayer game.

26. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

[/QUOTE]

To be honest, as the game is right now, they're probably the most efficient ship design really. The gatling guns chew through just about anything so fast that even a ship I built with tipple thick armour protection still gets chewed through in half a seconds worth of fire. The heavy armoured ship can barely move, and can get chewed to pieces even by the assault rifle from a mile away. The armour just doesn't do anything. You'd be better off armouring a ship with an extra layer of engines and generators, which are seemingly more resistant to damage than armour and will result in your ship having a sacrificial layer of mobility.

Of course, this is all incredibly likely to be rebalanced at some point in the future, so I'm continuing to design assuming that armour will actually be armour some time.

27. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Its all about pilot skill, becose you can rotate ship in space like you want, there is no reason fly in one direction without rotating ship and let enemy make big hole in plating ( I tryed us rotors to creat rotating plating, but it still dont work corectly, will wait for next updates ) Check me ships ( this antenas are for this purpose + raming enemy ship and not only like wepon holders like i did say ;)

28. Skeloton Master Engineer

Please don't derail my thread. This is a contest on what the voters like and they can like a ship for whatever reason they choose.

29. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

Wasn't trying to say what people should or should like or vote for. Not at all. But yeah, sorry for drifting off into a topic that was getting detached from the actual ships.

30. propagandawar Apprentice Engineer

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.