Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Betrayal

Discussion in 'General' started by Chakat Riversand, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Chakat Riversand Trainee Engineer

I wish to first say that I love this game, and have even hosted a server with a few others. a small time one... and am looking or was, looking into a dedicated host. But, I have issues with some recent changes. Please be warned, the following is a bit of a rant. This top paragraph was added after the fact, as well for everyone to know.

Space engineers is most certainly 'unplayable' on Windows XP, which is an Operating system CLAIMED to be usable for the game, BUT it also lists 8 Gig of RAM required minimally... which is impossible to have in Windows XP, unless you have that fabled rarer than winning the lotto 64-bit Windows XP.

Then... There is planets... oh boy.. this is a big one. Very big. It creates a massive discrepancy betwee nthe Direct X versions, which is a loss of a base feature from the game from Direct X9... this is basically like playing a game, and Whoops, one of the game worlds won't load because you have the wrong game system.

I know i'm being sour about this, and I am sorry for being so To all who read this. I Love this game, but it's this love of the game, and my lack of a way to upgrade my hardware, that causes me to be sour. I WANT to play this game, and enjoy it immensely, but, I can not just play the old half of the game, while most of the others get to play the full game. WIndows XP is now demoted to a glorified demo, as it stands right now... and it will remain as such untill and 'if' the developers find out how to get planets to work on DX9.

I'm not going to be playing this till either one of the above happens, unfortunately. I hope it's not that long. Again, Sorry for the bitterness of my words.

Edit:

Upon calming down from my anger, I do wish to apologize to any whom are offended by the thread title, as well... and I was rightly called out on it, below.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    • Disagree Disagree x 23
    • Late Late x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Kielm Junior Engineer

Planets will not run on DX9.

If by some magic there were some fantastic trickery that could be performed to force them to run on DX9, it would run slower than a fossil and be subject to more crashes than the history of NASCAR. It would leave you more sour than if you'd never tried at all.

I'm sorry that you're in this situation, and you have my sympathies, but I just want to be clear; it won't run on DX9, and if somehow it could be done, it would be horrific.

Don't hold on to false hope; either upgrade, or accept the fact.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Malware Master Engineer

Keen has no choice in all of this. Those of us dabbling with the GitHub source know they tried. The earliest versions of the planets, those we got our hands on, had a DX9 implementation. Kinda. It wasn't even close to running well.

Do you really think they would have done this if they had any other choice? If there is a way to get the planets running on DX9, (which I doubt), I'm fairly certain you will get it.

Calling this betrayal is a low blow. It's like me calling a one-armed person a traitor because they won't use a bow and arrow.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Harrekin Master Engineer

He uses 32 bit XP...

He's a lost cause.

OP: Just out of interest, can you still play the game in DX9?

Cos if you can, the company has lived up to the Early Access TOS.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Casazzo Trainee Engineer

Has to be a troll .... who still uses xp srsly? On a pc with internet?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Art 2 Trainee Engineer

DX9 was introduced in 2002

Please people..

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. KG1 Trainee Engineer

A few points:

1. Windows XP is unsupported by Microsoft and recieves no security or bug fixes, making it extremely insecure and most developers now primarily target new platforms such as Windows 7 and 10.

2. Windows XP only supports DirectX 9 so in addition to purchasing a new graphics card you will need a newer version of Windows as well.

3. Planets are resource intensive even on DirectX 11, so the chances of them being implemented in Direct X 9 when in a non-optimisation focused period of game development seems unlikely.

4. Computers are often cheaper to build yourself rather than buy as a whole since you determine the price of individual components.
    4a. If you do buy a new graphics card or other hardware check the connections and capabilities are accurate to your computer because the wrong connections or parts a centimetre out of place won't work.

5. Everything in an early access or Alpha game is subject to change.

6. You can sell old computers and other property to gain money to pay for a new computer.

• Agree Agree x 10
  9. BlueVKWolf Trainee Engineer

Seriously though, you need to consider switching to Linux away from XP, the amount of security vulnerabilities you expose yourself too just being connected to the web is huge. Maybe run XP on a virtual machine in Linux to preserve your data and current gaming capabilities if upgrading is really not an option.

But seriously, someone can remote control windows XP without your consent.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DrVagax Administrator

I think you need to consider the fact that DX9 is from 2002 and that Windows XP is not supported anymore and that call was made by the developers of Windows, Microsoft.
    If the game would be "stuck" at DX9 then we would be missing out on a lot of spectacular stuff because you have to face it but DX9 is ancient technology by now compared to DX10-11-12. Even DirectX 10 is 8 years old already.

• Agree Agree x 8
  11. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Damnit i wanted to post that!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Spets Master Engineer

windows xp... :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. M1stery Apprentice Engineer

I didn't feel the need to read much more after that statement.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Echillion Senior Engineer

To the OP I know how you feel and without a de-homing compensation I would probably still be playing offline on my XP comp and I appreciate that not everyones personal circumstances allow them to buy a new computer every 5 years or less

15. DrVagax Administrator

If gaming is your hobby and you cannot afford to get a computer to run the newest games then in all honesty you should refrain from attempting to play them to avoid any issues. After all, you don't need a new computer to run Windows 10 or 8.

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. Echillion Senior Engineer

yeah I know @DrVagax mate, I was trying to soften the hammer blow that others seem to be dropping? personally if I hadn't got my new comp I wouldn't even have bothered buying SE or any of my current library because I wouldn't have been able to play them at all. As I said I sympathise but it is what it is.

17. TheDuke540 Apprentice Engineer

The hard truth of gaming: You gotta pay to play...

• Agree Agree x 7
  18. AdmObir Apprentice Engineer

Who still uses xp? I did, until 6 months ago. I just could not afford it...recovering from a divorce, recently moved across the country. Saved and saved, went without anything except the bare necessities for three years to buy my new rig. The only thing I was able to use from my old desktop was my dvd drive...in order to upgrade to a 64 bit OS, I needed a new mobo, cpu, gpu, memory, hds, power supply, and case...sometimes life throws you lemons, and you still cannot make lemonade.

I do agree however, ranting about not being able to play planets is not Keen's fault, and ranting about it here is not the answer. OP needs to realize that if he/she wants to play the newest stuff, it will require a newer computer.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Devon_v Senior Engineer

The problem really was that Vista sucked, that made people leary of 7 - which is actually a nice OS - and then 8 was just plain wierd. If Microsoft would stop reinventing the wheel and making it square I think people would upgrade more often.

The game still works on 32-bit XP, it's just that you have to put yourself back in the 100km box and not use the new features. Just like the infinite world option requires a 64-bit CPU to use because 32 bits are not enough to calculate the interactions involved, planets require a DX11 capable GPU because DX9 is not enough to describe the massive scale they exist at. Planets make even top of the line DX11 cards sweat.

It's a bit like wondering why your 360 can't play XBone games.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Argotha Apprentice Engineer

I had Windows XP till my computer crashed. Rather, the hard drive. At that time, the only sold Windows 7, so I was forced to upgrade.

However, the RAM limitations alone would have eventually forced me to upgrade.

OP, I suggest you upgrade. Games are only going to continue getting more expensive in computing power requirements, man. But don't get Windows 8. It's shit.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Dreokor Senior Engineer

They cannot do the impossible. No matter how much you want planets to run on your aging PC, it is simply not possible. DX 9 cant handle planets, It is not about betrayal, It is more about even making planets playable on average PCs and only DX11 was capable of doing that.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 4
  22. StormField Apprentice Engineer

I wouldn't say anything nice to OP that hasn't been said before, so uh... XP? LOL!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Harrekin Master Engineer

How do I install SE if all I have is a floppy drive?

Where do I get the 600 floppys?

Why you break up with me Keen?

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Oh yay another one of these muppets...

I could say alot worse but I will leave it at that. At least he realised what a ridiculous thread this was after the fact.

Above post about floppys is gold. That needs to be a sig right there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  26. mhalpern Senior Engineer

XP was reliable in its day, but that day past when Windows 7 came (Vista was 15 min comparatively ) now it's retro

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. Harrekin Master Engineer

That'd take a while on my 33.3kbs modemz.

*ding ding dong screech*

"Damn someone called me so it disconnected the internet"

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I would recommend 7, but DX12 is another milestone with a major feature that isn't backwards compatible and eventually games are going to start expecting 2+ GPUs and everyone on 7 is going to be looking over the fence with tears in their eyes again.

While visually similar to 8, 10 seems to follow XP and 7 more in terms of UI function and it hasn't really annoyed me yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. chrisb Senior Engineer

I run Win8.1 or 2, can't remember. It runs games fine. But for general ease of use, I preferred win7 much more.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Barfbag Trainee Engineer

The fact that Windows XP is not longer supported by Microsoft and no longer recieves ANY more patches AT ALL is a tell tale sign that you need to upgrade. Developers should not need to cater to people using OS's that are out of support.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.