Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Better Blueprint & Modding Management

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by WhiteWeasel, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

As time goes on, out list of mods and blueprints grows, and our UI stays the same. Eventually, we have to scroll though large lists to find what we are looking for. Things like joining servers can quickly clog your list with mods you otherwise would not use, and there are so many good designs out there you don't stop using them because you tire of scrolling through a long list.

1) Folders (For BP's and mods)
    While mods do have tabs, I feel as if we don't have any real control to how they are organized as the choice of tags are entirely up to the mod author. In addition, the tabs like "Blocks" can range from mods like star wars themed blocks to battle cannons, to catwalks to more types of armor blocks, and the ability to organize them into our own sorting system, even being able to put the same mods into multiple folders so you can create the mod equivalent of a playlist.would be a good step towards a better user interface experience.

1b) Also a thing I'd love to see is a distinction between mods you went out of your way to subscribe to, and mods that were auto downloaded so you could join a server, it simply could lump all of your auto downloaded in a auto downloads folder.

2) Blueprint Sorting.
    A folder system for blueprints pretty much. Being able or organize your creations into useful subcategories like "Vanilla" "Modded" "Unfinished" "Workshop" would be handy.

2b) Blueprint Mod Management
    Like the above issue for blueprints, you have little indication to how many/what mods a BP is using, and is dependent on the author to list them in the description, or you having to take a look at the steam workshop page. And sometime you just forget to have the right mods for a blueprint you intend to use. A marking system to highlight this information to make it readily available and easy to find would make BP's less finicky. For example Blue prints with mods that you do not have would show up as red. In addition, when you view a mods blueprints details there the mods it uses can be listed below the description. In that mod list, mods that you are subscribed to and active in the world should be green. Yellow for mods you have subscribed to but not activated in the world, and red for mods you have not subscribed to at all.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Le Sir Trainee Engineer

It would be also usefull if you:
    - can access the blueprint list from the main menu
    - can see which mods are required for the blueprints
    and even better:
    - make an option that the used mod parts are directly saved into an blueprint, so that you dont need to load the mods manually

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

1) I like that, as having to load in a world to fidget with blueprints can be a bit annoying. Though it's not that bad of a problem since you can just make an empty void that loads in few seconds.
    2) Uhhhh, didn't I already say that in section 2b?
    3) Not in to the technical aspect of the game, but I'm sure someone can why that would not work or be impractical.

4. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Agree and also suggest folders for saved games. I have to take mine out (1 world per ship plus one world per mod I've developed alone takes a tonne of space).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

It'd be nice if the blueprints tab came back in the control panel menu, too. Possibly also in the g menu.

It's just annoying to have to use F10 for a single menu.

6. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

To this day when I click on "Furniture" I get one bunk bed. If I search for "chair" I get like twelve hits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. sioxernic Senior Engineer

You actually do. You can create a mod to sort these blocks. If someone cares to help me I might actually consider doing this (but I don't have access to SE so I would need YOU, who ever might wish to help) to help me by supplying some files and shitz.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

True. I find the Vanilla Block Category mod indispensable.

I might help if I knew what files you wanted and, more importantly, where I would find them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Add me on steam and I will explain everything.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Vanilla block category? ??? Do you mean the one in the G menu? I was talking about folders to sort the mod menu as you don't have any control as to how the tabs are organized:
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I was just agreeing that the interface could be modded because there is a mod for the G menu. My only beef with the mod menu is that you can't sort or search the active mods.

12. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

I would also like to add, that for the mod folders, it would be a cool feature to be able to add the folder to a world in its mod list. It will enable all of those mods sorted to that folder for that world so you can easily and quickly add themed mod selections to your world without having to dig through the gigantic mod list.

So say you make a folder with bunch of little fixes like scratch removal, easy inventory, removal of obscuring highlights over lcds, etc... You could just select the folder and add it to the world, and all of those mods inside would be added to the worlds mod list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Bumpity-bump.

14. JakeRaines1 Trainee Engineer

yeah they really need to add a sorting system for the blueprints menu

15. 31emanual Trainee Engineer

I couldn't agree more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Saberwulfy Apprentice Engineer

Even DOS had folders!
    Folders now!

17. Braethias Apprentice Engineer

Bumping an old thread because yes, Folders for blueprints. I have multiple factions and they're all labeled as such but it would clean up my BP list dramatically if they had folders. Especially when I have 3-5 variants of each craft as I refit and upgrade them. My friend has even more than I do, he'd love that too.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.