Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

block welder issues?

Discussion in 'General' started by krypt1c, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. krypt1c Trainee Engineer

Hello forum! I've been playing space engineers for about 200 hours according to steam, and i'm having an issue with block welders only welding my drills up to the function level, even though it adds all the components needed to reach 100%. Not sure if i just havn't noticed this before or if its a bug.

I working on building a new large ship to replace my small ship miner and im working on the 16x32 drill array and they are only reaching 65% and I really dont want to have to go through and hand weld all 512 of them. It welded the heavy armor blocks and the large cargo containers up to 100%, is this intentional or am I missing something?

[​IMG]

2. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

512 drills.

Perhaps the game is trying to tell you something?

3. krypt1c Trainee Engineer

yes 512 drills.

I get sick of constantly having to go mining cause I ran out of X resource needed to make X component. I prefer to spend my time building not mining, so yes, 512 drills and 64 large cargo containers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Well, if you are playing in survival you have to mine and/or scavenge in order to build. If you want to skip mining, build in creative.

Sounds like you might be making an asteroid-eater. I have a few more than 200 hours and while that sounds like a good idea, it's really not. All that stone you're going to want to spit out is going to lag your game. For the same amount of material you could build several smaller and more efficient miners.

All of my time has been in creative simply because when I start on a ship I want to finish it. I'm not after the "challenge" of survival right now. There is no short cut to mining in survival. Mining is kind of the point. If you find constantly having to mine frustrating, it's because you are playing in survival mode. 512 drills can only move at 3 m/s without damage. It'll still take a while to eat an asteroid, which would be mostly stone. No matter how you mine it's still going to take time. THEN that ore has to be refined and then made into components. That does not sound like the fast way to build. Plus, if one drill breaks (and drills don't deform so you don't know they're broken until they disappear, unless you constantly check) the drills around it will probably break and that will stop your whole rig because there will be a spot in your path that is not getting drilled away. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying it won't save you any time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. krypt1c Trainee Engineer

That's funny I did nickname it asteroid eater. I see your point. I like the challenge of survival, I just wish i didn't have to spend like 70% of my time mining. I'm wearing out the w key on my new keyboard

I did take it out a few times to test it out, its only got like ~ 300 drills on it now but it has 16 ejectors to remove stone and I left the max objects at the default of 56 objects so the stone disappears pretty quickly. It mines up about 4 large cargo containers of ore in about 20 minutes given a decent vein to mine.

I'm probably going to switch over to creative for a bit, not because of the mining grind but cause even with my small mining ship my game is having a horrible memory leak issue, even without ejecting stone. If i walk around my station for hours, my memory sits still at like 4.5 GB but within 20 minutes of mining I'm pushing 15.5 GB total with SE using like ~14.2

6. J-Cataclism Trainee Engineer

Well, I´m that kind of player which, if somehow, sometimes, somewhere, things seem to reach a crossroad with too many unstable options, I decide to say "who cares? Let´s roleplay!"

I use to do similar in Kerbal, and also both in Medieval Eng. (in VERY often cases...), and only one or another time in Space Engineers.

I your case, what would I PROBABLY do? Well, let´s say I have the materials to build all that huge drilling machine, but , somehow, it ain´t willing to be built. Besides to perform a parallel searching for an eventual bug, I would most likely hit Alt+F10 -> Shift+F10 and spawn either the desired raw materials or the already processed ingots. I believe I´d build until it gets stuck, then spend some time doing something else, waiting for some time to pretend the machine would already be digging all that stuff.

Then, spawn the materials as said, and continue working on the fun part - the building! And with no need to abandon the survival, which is the only mode I use in both the Engineers games (and I pretty much HATE those things like challenging, countdown timers, and all those aggravating stuff...)

7. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

The only short-cut to mining in survival is more players.
    You're doing it wrong. You want to use thrust override, and only use your smallest, weakest rear-facing thrust set to a low value (single digit). Whenever I used my large drill ship I would override the thrust on my "mining thrust group" to something like 3% and then I would leave the cockpit. The ship was designed to drill a straight bore without pilot input, so I could even leave the ship and attend to all the stuff that cropped up and stopped forward progress.

I did the "W" thing with wheeled miners, but now even wheel suspensions have thrust override.

Also, because no one else asked, did you disable block limits?

• Like Like x 1
  8. krypt1c Trainee Engineer

yes, when I started my survival world I set the pcu limit to the max limit. I reached that limit before I started building the large mining ship, so I edited the settings and disabled block limits. I can probably enable it again with mod items having a pcu of 1 I could probably squeeze by.

Thruster override, why didn't I think of that *facepalm* I build both my small miner and my large miner to bore through asteroids, but I opened netflix or youtube on my second monitor and "W-ed" my way through

Thank you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Or you could even do it with a sensor set it to override the thrusters when it detects an asteroid around the ship that way you can just walk away from your pc for a while and the ship just won't keep traveling way out in space. It will just stop after the sensor no longer detects the asteroid.
    --- Automerge ---
    Or even can use the [PAM] Script

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

This was, indeed, the one flaw in my design. If I actually left the ship and lost track of time I would end up with a longer than expected session :) The point, though, was to build a ship that could bore a straight hole unaided and without scripts or programming (other than setting the thrust override). Although it worked, the future looks a lot like PAM.

11. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I was a fan of all Vanilla as well for mining, but the [PAM] Script was just too awesome for me not to at least try it, once I did I was hooked and now any miner I build uses it. :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.