1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Bug with terraforming tools

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Tenzo, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Tenzo

Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

When you use the landscape stakes, sometimes the terrain creates poles in the ground, in a large tear across a surface where the texture becomes stretched all around the pole which is where the stretching is centered, usually in a deeply incised line in the terrain - it's definitely not subtle when this occurs.

By poles I mean like in Zbrush where the polygons do not distribute evenly across a surface and are concentrated from a pole of a 3D sphere and thereby creating impossible sculpting until you get rid of the pole and sculpt on square polygons.

My suspicion is that the terraforming creates triangles in the terrain/voxel mesh and it causes the algorithm to create poles as I earlier described making it impossible to level the terrain. Even with landscapes stakes attached, once an area you are filling in creates triangles that turn into centering into poles (not even four sided polygons), the tear remains and registers as a deep incision in the ground that -cannot- be edited with the shovel even after you remove the landscape stakes.

It can only be fixed by digging directly into the center where the texture stretching is focused and it takes several tries to dig out the problem area, and then attempting to fill it in manually. Usually this completely eliminates the problem and you are able to eliminate the triangles/pole in the terrain and it levels although it creates a bit of a dome which is noticeable if you are going for flat terrain. You can only attempt to fix this after removing the bounding box created with the landscapes stakes so that more destructive shovel editing can be used on the area - otherwise the problem area is completely locked when it occurs inside the landscapes stakes' bounding box.

Not sure how else to describe this bug other than by providing some screenshots of how the problem ends up looking in its final state where it's no longer possible to be edited with the shovel: (Even with the landscape stakes taken down, when this occurs the only way to edit this terrain is to dig it out and fill it in again hoping for even polygon/voxel distribution.)

I also found this in the world, before the Holidays, when 0.6 first released. I am including it here because it might be relevant to the texture artifacts created with the shovel in the recent pictures. No other reason. They might be related, they might not, but figured I might as well include them in this report.

2. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Hey,

Thanks voxels are getting reworked may i ask do you make squares or triangles when placing stakes? Also do you place them in a large area or divide into smaller ones?

3. Tenzo

Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Hi!

The above bug occurred in a large, square area with stakes placed.. um, creatively. They didn't place vertically but horizontally and I had to place them down and then dig them out of the ground or remove the foundation/flooring I placed them on in order to be able to connect them with rope (as otherwise I couldn't select them. They would just embed into the block.) Might be related to the bug, might not.

I have not tried a triangular area.

I have tried small areas after doing the one large area.

As I had gotten the terrain messed up in the original large square, I took down the stakes. In regards to the terrain deformation that occurred in the screenshots, I used the shovel to dig out the seams and then shovelled dirt back on the patch, trying to cover the dug out area as best as I could so that the terrain was no longer stretching over a particular "seam" or point in the ground.

Then I placed smaller square stakes and tried to level the "corrected" patches in pieces. (Using a rectangular setup.) However, to my surprise, the problem appeared again! I thought I had gotten rid of it while digging out the seam with the shovel earlier after I removed the stakes and filling the land back in, but once I started to add and remove dirt over the same area in a newly created square, the terrain began to rip and build towards the original picture I had in the screenshots (it was beginning to inch towards the deformed seams in the exact same way they appeared before. I was recreating them the more I was either adding or removing dirt.) So I stopped, took down the "adjustment" stakes, and levelled the ground again manually with the shovel until I got a natural looking ground, even if it looked like a small hill. A lot less noticeable than a huge tear in the ground.

It seems that whatever problem I had, originated in the original shovelling I did (before I discovered the functionality of the stakes). It seems to be baked into my terrain now, whether I try to level over it with stakes or not - it will gravitate towards those large deformed seams like a magnet if I try to go over them again (with the stakes).

I've left them manually levelled as best as I could without the restriction of the stakes and I'm avoiding any more digging around those "problem patches". I think it may be related to the voxels themselves, as opposed to the actual stakes function but I'm not sure. Redoing the voxels might be an elegant way of inadvertently fixing this bug if it is indeed related to the voxels.

4. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Well there might lie the issue. There is a lot of problems concerning voxels and how they reshape. But they are made of triangles. So making triangular shape is more efficient as making square shape can result in the deformation you have.

In your case i suggest digging a bigger hole in the affected area waiting for a while and then slowly filling it up with dirt.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. gesp_shad

gesp_shad Apprentice Engineer

Those kind of deformations happen when there are holes under the surface. Make sure every tiny bit underneath is filled up with dirt properly. You may want to dig out a bigger hole around these gaps to be absolutely sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

Yes as well. Rushing the job usually does this.

7. I23I7

I23I7 ME Tester

@Tenzo Hey man do you have the location of the hole in the voxel?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.