Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Building Contest Closed - Winner Announced] Killer Vanilla Challenge Three: I Am Become Death...

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by iN5URG3NT, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

The results! Thanks to everybody who entered.

I've tried to be as fair as I can when judging and giving criticism and I'm happy to give feedback. Congratulations to the winner, @Brenner

Results:

Gold: Scorpion Artillery Corvette [34.5]
    Silver: Cascade Destroyer [33]
    Bronze: Medusa Torpedo Cruiser [30.5]
    Fourth: Odin's Finger [23]
    Fifth: Space Howitzer [20.5]
    Wooden Spoon: [Disqualified] A-113 GAW

Special Honourary Award:
    WardenWolf
    Thanks for participation in every Killer Vanilla competition so far. Sorry to see you go bud.

(In a last minute check, the test for We Do Not Dig was found to be impossible due to changes in the game I was unaware of. :( I should play more Survival. Sorry for any inconvenience. Instead we're doing what was going to be Round 4.)

I Am Become Death...
    Build a ship with a PMW capable of destroying a heavily armoured, armed and shielded Drone Relay from outside turret range in less than 5 minutes. Use a reloadable system or a MOAB, the choice is yours...

Background:
    Big John is not happy. Local security services are employing combat drones throughout the asteroid field to deter piracy and it's costing local mob boss Big John money. Impressed by Barry, Dave and Kevin's performance during the Kessel Run, Big John wants them to do him a favour and remove this problem. Even our band of hapless idiots are smart enough to know you don't disappoint Big John.

General Competition Information
    http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/b...vanilla-fortnightly-building-contest.7360076/

NEW RULES:
    (These are now standard for all Killer Vanilla competitions)

Heresy!: No Grav Drive, Grav Braking or Gravity based manoeuvring. (Clarification: Do not use a Gravity Generator and Artificial Mass/Spaceball on the same grid or an attached grid for the purpose of improving performance. Player made systems that utilise a GG and AM/SB, but use a merge block or rotor to detach a payload, are fine.

(BONUS) Look at you, hacker...: Use of Autopilot/Timers/Programming blocks to successfully automate your craft for the task will be rewarded with up to a 15% bonus.

Specification:

FAILURE TO MEET SPECIFICATION WILL RESULT IN AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION. SHIPS MUST BE STOCKED WITH APPROPRIATE CARGO FOR IMMEDIATE SURVIVAL USE. DOUBLE CHECK BEFORE YOU SUBMIT!

Long Range Craft: Must be able to sustain crew members and passengers for extended periods. All Crew members and Passengers must have air available; assume everybody is not wearing a helmet while on board.
    The Three Amigos: Must have seating for 3 crew members.
    Big Guns: No standard weapons allowed.
    Happy Camper: Launcher ship must not be moving when launching projectile. Some allowance will be given for slight movement related to firing.
    Keep your distance: Launcher ship must remain at least 1Km from target.
    Don't touch that button!: Firing sequence must be usable with a single button. Reloading system must also be usable with a single button.

Grid: Large/Mixed
    Maximum Mass: 3,000,000KG (Ship and projectile)

The Test:

Submissions will be placed in a world 2Km from the target. Entries must eliminate the target by destroying the Large Reactor at the centre. There will be a five minute time limit.

The Large Reactor will be placed as close to the origin (0,0,0) as possible.

Don't forget that the launcher ship needs to be functional too!

Test world:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=462133701
    Remember to set the target's ownership to a hostile NPC.

Submission deadline is the 3rd JULY 6.00PM GMT. Please post submissions below as a link to the blueprint, a maximum of TWO SCREENSHOTS ONLY and a short description. Good luck everybody! Make sure you try out your ships before submission!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Yeah, that's in there because of me >_>

Also ...MOAB? Mouth on ...!? *does some more research*

OH, mother of all bombs, gotcha.

• Like Like x 1
  3. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Mother Of All Bombs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-43/B_Massive_Ordnance_Air_Blast

Edit: I tested the Blue Mule anyway, but I did have to dig my way to the reactor! It was unlucky in the test, would have been at least an 8 in Suitability if it had passed, it was a solid entry and shrugged off all of the previous attacks.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  4. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Thanks ;) When I read the part about making sure it had all its stuff to function in survival, it was already 8 hours before the deadline, and I was in the process of getting ready for work, so i knew I failed right there.

Question though, will we have access to the test world like last time?
    Never mind, i gotta read better.

5. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Please ban the specific exploit that involves detonating holographic warheads using the projector.

6. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Any attempts at exploits will be considered cheating.

Please post any you know of.

7. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

I get the idea this was inspired by my first contest submission. ;-)

So gravity-launched projectiles are legal, but you just can't use it for ship maneuvering, correct?

Also, is there going to be a test world so we have some idea of suitability?

8. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

9. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Ooooo ... can I finish the Gladius Mk. III before the movers pack our stuff on Thursday?

... probably not, but I'mma try anyway!

Edit: actually, just saw the size requirement. Nevermind then! :p

10. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Here's your target:

[​IMG]

Not quite finished yet, it will be on the workshop tomorrow. It's getting late.

Important details:

12.5m+ Heavy/Blast Door Composite Armor in all directions.
    16G 200m Gravity Shield
    32 Missile Turrets
    4 Gatling Turrets
    1,000,000L+ Cargo Capacity

I hope it puts up a good fight. :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ulfsark Master Engineer

....oh, just EIGHT rocket launchers, is that all????

12. medwards101 Trainee Engineer

Sweet Christ on a bike, that ought to be a tough target. Good luck to anyone who was building an ore cannon, at any rate.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Wait, if the attack craft has conventional turrets, can we submit it under the understanding that only the PMW would be used at this range?

Edit: Nevermind, not even close to the weight requirement

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  14. Vaskadar Apprentice Engineer

And to think, I wanted to make a giant cargo bombardment device. Oh well!

15. Old Rover TJ Trainee Engineer

Mmmm this might be a challenge... time for the rum I should think

16. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Ok guys, the thing is a fortress. Therefore I have increased the weight allowance to 3000 Tons.

Just to get you started.
    Bad ideas: Ore Cannons, Powered artificial mass, Spaceballs, pretty much any powered system if you have no ECM.
    Good Ideas: Shield piercing Grav weapons, Decoys, Guided Missiles, Reloading System.

It'll be uploaded tonight.

17. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

So, question: if the weapon is reloadable, must the craft already have the materials to replace the projectile onboard, or will you be testing it in creative mode? I ask because otherwise we will have to spend a LOT of time and effort generating the materials. And yes, if you're wondering, I did manage to get that monstrosity to be reloadable. I'm not sure if it'll come in under the weight limit, though, so I may have to scale it back to something less ambitious.

Edit: Just saw your update. *Evil grin*

18. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

19. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Thanks! That just made my life a LOT easier.

The ship's effectively done now. Just have to add decoys and get the missile firing system configured again, and give it a paintjob. It fires the same projectile as my Exocet that you saw before, but this time from a proper ship and it has the ability to reload. It will have enough cargo to fire approximately 11 missiles (including the one in the tube). Scared yet?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  20. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

@WardenWolf That sounds epic man. The Exocet is batsh*t crazy on it's own, now it has a proper launcher! Can not wait to see what you come up with.

21. Terminal_6 Trainee Engineer

I don't have much experience with these sorts of contraptions, but I think I might have to try my hand at this one.

Question; can I use a turret's laser for the sake of aiming? Or is there another way that I'm not aware of?

22. Brenner Junior Engineer

Hmm, this might be a excellent time to finally build the mini version of my Gatling Projector Grav Gun.

Oh and I have to second Terminal_6's question: I usually add 2 rocket launchers as aiming help for my grav guns, but this wouldn't be allowed in this competiton, right?
    In my experience the crosshair often lies, even if you build the pilot seat exactly behind the grav gun.

23. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

24. Terminal_6 Trainee Engineer

I just need it for a glorified laser pointer.

25. Ulfsark Master Engineer

"Keep your distance: Launcher ship must remain at least 1Km from target."

Okay, so ..... do we specify how far the launcher ship should be?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  26. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

@Terminal_6 Why not use a camera? It's quite a big target.

@Ulfsark If you need to for automation, yes. Use the distance from the pilot seat to the "Power Core" GPS coordinate.

27. Ulfsark Master Engineer

PostScript: Okay, viewing the world, I really have to request to know where the starting position will be. The last one had a platform, can we have the same? It'll help with any advanced GPS stuff.

28. Arcturus Senior Engineer

The battle station is heavily shielded and carries a firepower greater than half the star fleet. Its defenses are designed around a direct, large-scale assault.
    An analysis of the plans has demonstrated a weakness in the battle station. But the approach will not be easy. You are required to maneuver straight down the main axis to this point (red dot added in image). The target area is only two and a half meters wide.

[​IMG]

The core armor on this approach is only 7.5 m (3 blocks) thick. The plans indicate it is just heavy armor, not composite.

• Like Like x 1
  29. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Interesting. And that is quite a tough nut to crack. I may need to add some extra cargo space, but I'll get it.

30. Terminal_6 Trainee Engineer

I tested my first missile, it seemed to have been vaporized on impact with a heavy armor plate, without leaving a scratch. Is that common?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.