Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Building Contest Closed - Winner Announced] Killer Vanilla Challenge Three: I Am Become Death...

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by iN5URG3NT, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

So, I seem to be dealing with some game bugs. For a completely unknown reason, my missile is consistently shooting below point of aim. At least where it's hitting is predictable. But it's moving downwards, somehow. And no, I'm not talking as a result of gravity. It's like it's shooting cockeyed even though there should be no possible way it could do so. Also, mass blocks won't turn off via timer after reload even though everything is set correctly. This is the most annoying bit: I tested the timer in every possible way and there's no reason it shouldn't be working. But it will. not. work.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  2. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

It's quite tough, but yes, it has some weaker points. You'll be ok, as long as you used to bullseye womp rats back home. :D

@WardenWolf Yea, the reloading timer issue bugs me too. Not sure how your system works, but have you tried using a sensor on the projectile to trigger the switch off?

3. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

I can do that, yes, but that would require the missile reach full speed before it's out of sensor range. Oh well. Just means I have to stuff more grav gens in the ship. I still can't explain why it's shooting low. It's not hitting anything. I verified that.

Here's a sneak peek:

[​IMG]

4. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

If it can fire 11 Exocets, I'm not sure accuracy is going to be a huge issue, I've seen what one can do!

5. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

You'd be surprised. That monstrosity you built is very resilient. Although if I use the more vulnerable angle, it'll be easy. But where's the fun in that? As it is, I have everything automated. Press the fire button, and the missile fires, then automatically reloads. As soon as you hear it stop welding, you can fire again. There's two huge lines of welders attached to pistons. After the missile fires, they extend forwards, weld up the new missile, then retract just far enough to clear the missile. A new missile can be launched before the first one even hits its target.

Update: Functionally complete, including decoys. And barely under the weight limit: 2,984,836. Good thing paint doesn't weigh anything in this game. ;-)

After the contest is over I'll go and make it look nicer. But as it stands I was stripping off every block that wasn't needed in order to save weight.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  6. Street Deacon Apprentice Engineer

Can Are ship and weapon be all small ship grid?

also what does PMW mean I know what a moab is

7. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

@Street Deacon Yes. If you can do it with just the small ship grid, do it. I would love to see that.

PMW = Player Made Weapon

8. Street Deacon Apprentice Engineer

Ohhhhh lol I was like did he mean a military term like WMD or what I didnt think of in game terms lol

Im at work now and cant check but can the large reactor of the station power all the grav gen and weapons on it own?

9. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

10. Street Deacon Apprentice Engineer

damn I was gonna shoot off the solar arms and go in for the kill :woot:

11. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Hey again 74x9 is gonna try this as well, already determined my combo cannon's ore function is worthless.

With tests of no grav. The cannons large build up ore shot will go straight through up to 8 heavy armor blocks like a pencil through a balloon.

Against the base it gets it with in about 2 ft. Of the furthest wall before if flecks off. Now trying to get the ap torp. , and the Explosive torp. Projectors up with redesigned torpedo, and automation systems.

Sneak peak of Odin's finger, still have some play room only 2.4mil.
    [​IMG]

Update: as of 3:54am 6/17 materials loaded, ap and explosive torpedoes projectors working automated construction and firing testing under way, so far able to breach but not in allotted time refining timers to speed up processes and firing.

Update 2: 11:48am have devised to move the merge block back one to allow for a a total 24 block torpedo, 6 long, and quad thick shells, with power and essentials break away back, at the moment it can only use 20 blockers. Additional grav. Gens. Added for stability. The "War Criminal" starter torpedo as been built refining taking place still on torpedoes tip and actual engineered explosives. Accuracy and round stability issues to iron out, ruled this as main cause of so much time to complete objective. It's round instability would cause jittering leaving the end of the barrelthus making the round jar off course. This would then have you blow away almost half of the inside before inaccurately eating into the core. As you can see below

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Just wondering my ship doesnt have to fit on a square or anything again like the last one right? Because the top rails alone are 26 blocks long.

13. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

14. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

@iN5URG3NT easy enough just gotta get automation done.

15. Street Deacon Apprentice Engineer

Lol is it the middle finger?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Yay someone caught it. It's odin's answer when you owe money.

17. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

I'm now in the process of actually loading the materials onto the ship. I find it amusing that small cargo containers weigh less than conveyors yet function exactly the same in addition to also holding cargo. They're just slightly less durable. I did the math and I'll have enough cargo capacity for 12 reloads, for 13 total shots.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  18. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Good tip from @WardenWolf here. If you worried about weight, dump conveyors for small cargo containers. It's a bit silly, but it works.

19. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

It's worth noting that the weight savings is very small. In most builds it won't make one bit of difference. But it's there, so if you need to shave just a tiny bit and / or you need more cargo room, it's worthwhile to replace most of your conveyors with cargo containers. Also, small cargo containers have more capacity per block than large ones, BUT large ones are more weight-efficient.

• Like Like x 2
  20. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

All right. This beast is finally done. I may paint it later (other than pure white) and possibly add some red lights to the missile bay, but it's finally fully built and loaded with cargo.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: the Medusa Torpedo Cruiser

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Instructions: Use camera (button 2) to aim at target. Aim a little high. Then press 1 to fire. After firing, it will automatically reload. Once you hear the welding stop, you can shoot again immediately.

The firing mechanism is idiot-proof. It will not allow you to fire again until welding is complete. Hitting the button prematurely will simply result in nothing happening.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  21. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Thanks for your entry @WardenWolf This is going to be fun!

To all contestants: Don't scrimp on paint, it'll earn you a point or two in Aesthetics. Also if you've got mass, add some nice engine casings or fade in any external systems if possible. Hopefully you will all smash the test, but that is just one of the four categories.

I really like what I'm seeing so far. Anyone going with a guided missile instead of a Grav gun?

22. medwards101 Trainee Engineer

I was planning to, but I don't have the time to spare as I'm in the middle of my exam week.

23. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

@iN5URG3NT What are the survival settings? Default or weld 1x,2x,5x?

And could just make an extra projector with remote guided torp. To be built and shot for release, ship doesn't have decoy system relies on dead power objects to sneak through turrets in test world it works. Don't know how you have turrets set.

24. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

25. Shadowcalen1 Apprentice Engineer

Question, as I have had no luck with this as of yet, it it possible to have a timer trigger a welded blocks functionality?

26. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

IFAIK No, I've not been able to get it to work.

If you are looking for something to turn off your mass block, use a sensor.

27. Shadowcalen1 Apprentice Engineer

Im actually looking for a way to toggle the battery to discharge so that it can power the torpedo. I guess I will have the merge bock/ protector on a piston to puch it over a small ship grid so that it toggles, unless Im a idiot and battery can charge when set to discharge or you can print a torpedo with uranium in the reactor.

28. Shadowcalen1 Apprentice Engineer

you said conventional weapons are not allowed, so Im guessing no torpedo with a rocket launcher on the front or mini stations with turrets.

29. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

@iN5URG3NT THX will re calibrate to make sure all is timed correctly

30. mhalpern Senior Engineer

there are problems with guided torpedoes for this- 1000km range- and time should you need multiple shots, or at least more then 5 shots before the alloted time runs out, and you don't have as much of the evasion advantage with the RC autopilot, and they are heavier projectiles, the way to go is to ensure something hits... For precision reasons I would use a script or a rc block to aim at 0,0,0, have that triggered by pressing the "Auto fire button" which will lock on the target and repeatedly fire the main cannon.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.