Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Building Contest Closed - Winner Announced] Killer Vanilla Challenge Three: I Am Become Death...

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by iN5URG3NT, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

iN5URG3NT, am I allowed to help people troubleshoot their designs?

2. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Oh, that's easy. Just have the battery be in Recharge mode when printed. Place it in a group, even if it's the only thing in the group. Then on launch, have the launch timer (which must be located on the main ship) toggle recharge off at the same time it deactivates the merge block.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  3. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Toggling a Projected Battery
    Method 1: Groups

Howdy! Ok so to toggle projected systems you are going to want to use groups:
    • On your torpedo, create a group that contains the battery (I name mine "Torpedo Charge")
    • Set the torpedo's battery to recharge by default; this is so the battery will start charging up as soon as she is welded
    • Save this as a blueprint
    • Now go to your ship, load up the new blueprint, and weld up your torpedo
    • On your ship based timer firing system, find your battery group "Torpedo Charge" and set it to to toggle Recharge On/Off
    • Now you are set!

Method 2: Programs
    You can accomplish the same task of recharging a battery via ingame scripts. I use this method when I am welding small ship projectiles because when you weld an unowned small ship from a projector it loses all of its groups, thus making Method 1 useless :p
    Here are the Steps:

• On your torpedo, name your battery something unique (I named mine "Battery - Torpedo")
    • Set the torpedo's battery to recharge by default; this is so the battery will start charging up as soon as she is welded
    • Save this as a blueprint
    • On your launching ship create a programmable block and paste the following code:
    • Set the run argument to the name of your battery ("Battery - Torpedo"), you can run this argument via timers if you wish
    • You're good to go!
    This should allow you to toggle a welded battery's charge state :)
    Groups persist on the toolbar even while they are not actually present which is why this system works. Now this part is important: batteries take 1 full second to switch charge states! Be sure to account for this in your firing systems :D

Also a side note: printed torpedoes will have empty inventories, thus trying to print a torpedo with uranium in the reactor will not work as the reactor will be empty. I suggest batteries for this reason as building a uranium feed system for the reactor would be a pain.
    Hope this helped!
    - Whplash141

Edit: Seems @WardenWolf beat me to the punch! :p

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shadowcalen1 Apprentice Engineer

Thanks all for the help, I finally figured out a solution that is none to practical, but it works. I stuck the entire torpedo setup on a piston, and when the piston extends, it pushes the sensor over the small ship timer setup. Now I need to figure out why the merge block gets printed, but does not merge...

5. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Thank you, @Whiplash141 . That last bit explains why I've been having odd delays in my firing. Incidentally: the batteries do NOT seem to have this delay in Creative mode. Only Survival. Also, the 1 second lag time seems to be related to delays in the game's engine, rather than being an intentional feature. The reason I say this is that my decoys, which only have 1 battery and 4 blocks total, power up instantly and launch BEFORE my torpedo, whereas my torpedo (which has 3 batteries and quite a few powered blocks) disconnects then sits there for a moment before shooting off. Now, granted, I like that my decoys shoot off first; that makes them more effective because they'll be ahead of the torpedo and draw all the fire. But I do want to fix it so the torpedo launches the moment it's disconnected. So, I may be fiddling with my timer blocks a little bit; fortunately I have a couple of extra that aren't being used.

6. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

7. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Not much point now, as everything I was going to say was covered. :p However, I'll just throw up my own script in case anyone wants to use that one; Whiplash141's, as always, is more elegantly engineered.

Code:
    void Main()
    {
    	IMyShipMergeBlock GunMerge = GridTerminalSystem.GetBlockWithName("Merge Block - Projectile") as IMyShipMergeBlock; //defines the merge block for the round; this is needed to detach the round
    	IMyVirtualMass GunMass = GridTerminalSystem.GetBlockWithName("Artificial Mass - Projectile") as IMyVirtualMass; //defines the artificial mass block for the round; this is needed to propel the round
    	IMyBatteryBlock GunBattery = GridTerminalSystem.GetBlockWithName("Battery - Projectile") as IMyBatteryBlock; //defines the battery for the round; this is needed to power the round
    	IMySensorBlock GunSensor = GridTerminalSystem.GetBlockWithName("Sensor - Projectile") as IMySensorBlock; //defines the sensor for the round; this is needed to make it shield-piercing

GunBattery.GetActionWithName("Recharge").Apply(GunBattery); //toggles battery recharge to provide energy; having more than a toggle would be handy :p
    	GunSensor.GetActionWithName("OnOff_On").Apply(GunSensor); //turns sensor on; this will deactivate the round after it leaves the barrel
    	GunMass.GetActionWithName("OnOff_On").Apply(GunMass); //turns mass block on so it can be launched
    	GunMerge.GetActionWithName("OnOff_Off").Apply(GunMerge); //unlocks the round to send it on its merry way
    }
    Obviously, this only works if the names match; tweak the names in the code to match your own.

8. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

I had a similar problem trying to build a "death flower" missile that built and spewed off warheads and decoys. The thing you have to do is ensure that both the launching platform and the intended projectile both belong to the same person/faction before you add them to your blueprint library. If both things to be merged do not belong to the same person or faction, the merge will not happen.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Kovendon Apprentice Engineer

Hmmm... going to have to refine my Slinger prototype into a Trebuchet-class I think... the unpowered blocks currently leave a bit slower than I'd like, and there is a spread firing pattern due to the block position the sensor picks up.

It may be a bit tricky getting the projectiles on target, and I'll have to tune the sensor deployment with an adjustable piston or something; but, the advantage is that the projectiles end up being as small as a single block (pummel with merge blocks!) or two. Then I just have to decide... large blocks or small.

[​IMG]

Just gotta work on fine tuning the mechanism a bit more and get a ship build around it, so maybe I'll be able to finish before the deadline!

Oh, and when you say the ship has to be 1km away from the target, you mean just the bridge, right? Because this guy would have perfect aim! (Might be a bit heavy though... and I'll have to remove the mods... and finish the thing...) Hahaha... just kidding...
    [​IMG]

10. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

I think that last one would be over the weight limit, anyway. Also, pulling an "Executor" is generally frowned upon.

11. Vaskadar Apprentice Engineer

Running into some minor issues with the guided missile design. For Autopilot to work, it requires 6 DoF (Directions of force), mandating thrusters that point forwards. I'm considering making it a two-stage missile with one stage having additional attached thrusters to create the 6 DoF, then a separation stage that dislodges the additional thrusters and goes strictly for puncturing the target.

This is probably the most complex weapons system with timer blocks that I've designed.

12. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

okm im starting to give up ive tryed so many different types of torpedoes and all but the "War Criminal in which is to big to reload fire jittery as all hell and end up rotating during the seperation, not a major prob with explosive type torpedoes, but makes all my ap, or HP type torpedoes just silly blocks

13. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

@Dwarf-Lord Pangolin @Whiplash141 @WardenWolf @Sirhan Blixt Some great tips from you guys. Thanks for helping out.

Groups, you can do it with groups. Unbelievable. The sh*t I went through get the battery to recharge/discharge and you can do it so easily with groups!

Also, I can't seem to get sensors to pick up large ships, I'm guessing they don't register the same grid, so I tried a piston head, still no luck. How long does a sensor need to "see" it's target to register?

Wait, why am I asking, I'm not even entering!

@Vaskadar I wish you the best of luck man, I'd love to see a auto guided missile snaking it's way through the defence. That'd be sick.

@Fluffy the Fleshpound Would a gyro on the projectile help?

14. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

No, sensors will never see the same grid. The sensor on my missile detects the adjacent welding array as a large ship because it's separated from the main grid by a piston. I'd say sensors have about a 1/4 second response time, from personal experience.

A bit of history on my design:

The Exocet missile was originally inspired by a March 2014 guide for a weapon called the APIM, the Armor-Piercing Inertial Missile. It was devastating, but woefully impractical because, at the time, there were no merge blocks or mass blocks. The only way to launch it was to attach it to a landing gear and release it at speed, and pray it didn't blow you to kingdom come.

Well, eventually those toys got added to the game, and I got to thinking about maybe making it into a practical weapon. I experimented with it a LOT, and improved it significantly. Originally my design was called the APIM Mk II, in homage to the original, but later I decided it needed a more catchy name, and it had evolved considerably by that time (now sporting batteries as well). You can certainly see the similarities between the Exocet and APIM, but the end result is faster, hits harder, and is much more difficult to stop.

The Medusa cruiser is the ultimate incarnation of this evolutionary scheme, and a holy terror that can rain death on any target from as far as you can see. For previous incarnations of the Exocet / APIM Mk II, please check my workshop.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  15. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Well got the handle on it dont know what was making the smaller torpedoes freak out but once i re-purposed the ship to make and fire the "War Criminal" torpedoes its right on the edge of near weight but now takes 4 ap shells to get to center.

I Present 74X9's Combo Cannon "Odin's Finger":http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=473566177
    [​IMG]
    Probably not of any use in this challenge but if you didnt have grav woulda easy peasy shot this with ore gun but, because it does i had to settle for shooting a giant 8 hvy block thick wall. It went through it on the first shot. The second small shot did not.
    [​IMG]

As well i PResent the "War Criminal HP" Torpedo And its aftermath
    [​IMG]
    a much more refined destruction
    [​IMG]

The "Odin's FInger" Weighs Just Shy of 3000Tons, 40tons or so, comes pre-loaded with one War Criminal Hollow Point. Fully Loaded With Supplies and ready to go tested to fire up to 7-8 War Crimes. This GunShip it primarily bought and used to start wars and finish them in one shot.

Comes Set on Tabs for the Main Firing Sequences
    • Tab 1- Torpedo Select (HP-EXPL.) or projector turn off for ore gun
    • Tab 2- either Construct and immediately Fire, Just Construct, or Fire Pre Existing Torpedo
    • Tab 3- Ore Gun, Sml and Large Shot

Just a Hint sometimes it wouldnt fully complete the torpedo in survival, even though materials and welder was there.

UpDate/Hotfix 6/18:
    • Problem With Main Construction that certain block wouldn't turn on now are forced to so that construction continues. New Link Published and fixed

Hotfix 2:
    • Rescheduled some groups and torpedo redesigns, batts were uselessly to slow to charge. Now fitted with reactors and connector, groups set to auto turn on and lock for a few secs. to fill with uranium before firing. Supplies loaded for new style torpedoes and prefitted with new War Criminal HP-A Torpedo to start.

Good batt. design, batts. just not good enough
    [​IMG]
    New Reactor Powered
    [​IMG]

Update6-7 IDK: 6/20,
    • On tab 2 there was no way to fire pre existing torpedo unless you ran the contsruction cycle
    • As well not major to challenge but bug me, "Firing stop" Timer did not shut down spherical Gravity Generators after Ore Gun firing.
    • Camera for Aiming moved for Better View
    • Added Conveyor Sorters for ORe Cannon, White Listed For Stone Only
    • Restocked Stone

@iN5URG3NT might because they weere tiny lil 24 block max torp.s and they were being torn to speed by around 70+ g's

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  16. Street Deacon Apprentice Engineer

Im making a small ship with 4 or 2 small block launchers (depending on which ship I use) im curious if i can make it cause enough damage.

17. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

I can confirm that sensors do not detect the grid that they are on, but the piston head should work as it is a separate grid. What are you trying to detect and for what purpose? :)

18. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

@Fluffy the Fleshpound Holy shit, what is that thing?!

Remember that sensors count left / right as if they were a person looking at you. So for purposes of configuring them, left is right and right is left.

19. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Yeah, certainly took me a while to figure that out >_< I had an imprint of my hand on my face for a week afterwards.

20. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

its my lovely, annoyingly complicated combo cannon the retro fit for the bigger torp. hasnt tested the ore gun. honestly i wouldnt try it might take out the side wall welders. but ive wanting to build something like this for a while but i could never get the grinder to time perfectly for the torp release. tryed using the piston landing pad auto holders that let go and retracted when it was to fire. but gave up after the pistons would randomly break or explode when grabbing explosive warheads. this is long since been in the works since before pistons transferred power. but this ship is about 15hours of work.

Update: Ore Gun is viable just low on stone

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  21. Shadowcalen1 Apprentice Engineer

I think I might be out of the running, I had a misfire and a auto save, so the two thirds of my ship is gone. If I had both of the torpedo tubes loaded, I am not sure if there would be anything left.

22. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

@Shadowcalen1 oh u didnt blueprint it save. I periodically blueprint my stuff and exactly right before firing always to many things have blown up in my face. If need help puttin it back together dont mind Hmu

23. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

@WardenWolf I think i may know why yours is shooting low (mine does the same but i have a horizontally centered camera that is not vertically centered), the cross-hair is set for the ship by the main cockpits chair block unless you sit directly behind the missile it will always be off from where ever the chair block is from the missle center. Found out because i have a even width ship vertically and horizontally, in other words i dont have a middle 1 block my middle is 2 at smallest. either way i saw that by centering my offset camera with the command chairs slight left offset i discovered that mine has a slight left but high shot for the center of missle. its because the cross-hair doesn't move for the camera, and when in 3rd person it doesnt use the ships center, it uses the chair as a center.

24. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

25. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

i guess played to many shooter, or shot to much video, i switch back and forth a bit get it centered and bam shot on target. (this meaning that if i know i have to use my own crosshairs from the dot in the middle of my screen, I just assess the angle, mark the real shot line on my screen with sharpie or marker, windex removes easy but if you give it time you will naturally ignore it) But no the cross-hair says to the chair your in at the moment as well only the main shows cross-hairs. thats why it always accurately goes where u aim once set, but if you verticall offset your camera so you can see something that is the center horizontal, and make sure camera is horizontaly centered,then make sure your cockpit flight seat is vertically centered (if you dont wanna put it behind the missle) from there get target horizontal centered or vertical and do one axis at a time, use crosshair not so much as aim but for easy X-Y axis moving, against target in background then fire and you'll be dam closer then winging it

26. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

I had a camera on the tip of the missile. It still hit WAY low.

27. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

not on the missile, the cross-hair doesnt use that for center it uses the flight seat u sit in the move the ship that's it, thats all. THE CROSS_HAIR ONLY CENTERS ON THE FLIGHT SEAT(OR MAIN COCKPIT IF CHECKED) , NOT THE SHIPS CENTER.

28. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

*Facepalm* Okay, good to know.

29. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

sorry probably could have been more clear

what i was mentioning is using an offset vert. camera but horiz. centered and a vert. centered main cockpit to roughly guide yourself. make sure u can see something that show clear center of the horizontal line for camera, like a physical iron sight, same with main chair, just use cross hair to guide direction because repetitive space backgound, use the high contrast differences in the targets color scheme to help align and fire

Colored blocks help

30. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Ah well. My cockpit is situated directly over the weapon. A ways up but not too far to compensate. I'm not redesigning my ship and wrecking its looks just for that.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.