Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Building Contest Closed - Winner Announced] Killer Vanilla Challenge Three: I Am Become Death...

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by iN5URG3NT, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

@Street Deacon Double check the specification man, I can see rocket launchers in your picture.

@Kovendon That's looks like an ME weapon! I like it though.

The competition is hotting up, great stuff!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  2. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

@Agnar, given some of your workshop entries, this should prove interesting. I really love that battleship of yours. I left you a comment on it on the workshop. Couple extra mods you might want to incorporate that will both make it look and work better.

3. RyansPlace Apprentice Engineer

The last patch pretty much broke most grav gun designs, so I won't be entering the contest (seriously, you should delay judging printed weapons until that's fixed. I can't even script around the bug). Here's some pics. Glad your doing this!

GAW (Gravity Accelerated Weapon) 1. It's about 95% done and now polishing features (aside from the bug)
    [​IMG]
    A hybrid design capable of shooting ore and small block missiles. Currently there are six to choose from (lower right) but i'll add more as I get better at designing them. It has 360 degree rotation and +/- 45 degree elevation.

[​IMG]Cockpit provides good view of the weapon for situational awareness. Text panel on the right provides description of each round as it's selected.

A couple shots of the HUD.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. noxLP Junior Engineer

Yes, i'm basically doing the same thing but in a script, just continuously search all batteries, mass blocks, timer, etc., and turn them on.

Anyway, the bomb is done and working, i was hoping to finish the ship this weekend, but now i'm not even sure I can do it at the time given... well, screenshots from the bomb (i refuse to call it missile having that shape :D): http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/...rt=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=grid
    Not the better screenshots but shows the decoy deployment and turrests firing to them.
    It's all scripted for launch the decoys (turn off merge blocks and turn on a sphere gravity generator located just in the middle) like 10 secs after the launch, then turn on brake thrusters like 2 secs(decoys first, please), and finally turn off all gravity generators and thrusters. I've been testing it and seems that it will need 7-10 shots to destroy the reactor.

Thinking of make a second one mixing a cluster of decoys and warheads... but probably there is no time.

5. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

@RyansPlace, feel free to grab my design off the workshop if you're having trouble figuring out a timer sequence that works. The latest bug just required me to add one additional timer.

6. Agnar Apprentice Engineer

Is angle of attack specified anywhere or how does that work exactly?

7. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

This is fixed by toggling on the batteries, merges, gyros and such after you weld them.

8. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Besides, the change is apparently deliberate as per a comment in the source code. See the bug report for that conversation: http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/1...rom-projection-including-merge-blocks.7362501
    So people might be waiting a long time if they think they will wait for a fix...

9. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Right. But what genius made merge blocks weld turned off?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kovendon Apprentice Engineer

In my design, I deliberately have the projected merge blocks BP'd in the off state- that way I only need to toggle the (1 per arm) fixed merge block off to release.

This works for me, but only if the ownership is the same for the projected item and the ship's merge blocks (I don't think I explained myself well enough in my previous post). It worked the same a few months ago with my first iteration of the concept.

Of course the rest of my projectile is unpowered after separating so the everything being turned off hasn't affected me quite yet- that change just seems counterproductive.

11. noxLP Junior Engineer

I'm at 3,099,100 Kgs without the bomb, timers and programmable blocks... having a hard time trying to figure out what to delete :eek:ops:

12. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

13. noxLP Junior Engineer

Omg :eek:ops: Ok :p

14. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

This is one game where it pays to be an engineer in real life, too. Having that mindset really helps with problem solving. Though my problem is I don't have a real talent for interior design.

15. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Are peoples contraptions still working after last weeks patch? Mine were until they were copy and pasted. Apparently Keen knows about this projector issue now, so I'm hoping for a fix Thursday.

16. Agnar Apprentice Engineer

My sim speed is dropping from all the turret fire, which leads to physics fun and random projectile phasing... I'm sure you probably wont have this issue, but I can't really test it if my shell just phases into the reactor compartment and kills it...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Street Deacon Apprentice Engineer

It was a save from a already made ship but they are already removed I had to do a big over hual to fit the launch system in lol

18. Hydrohawk Trainee Engineer

Because of that projector bug, I've decided to go with a static launch system with the missiles pre-loaded. Also dumped the guidance system as the Auto-Pilot doesn't seem to be able to take pitch and yaw into account.

The missile itself is mostly done, though I haven't tested against the target yet. The missile is pretty simple, with a single battery and large thruster for propulsion and and the payload. I've added a single gyro for stability, though it seems to be curving once release (or at least not staying on target). I'm using a side mounted merge block as a retaining system and a timed launch sequence. I'm just wondering if there is the possibility of the two merge blocks colliding slightly and causing the problem?

19. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Howdy @iN5URG3NT,
    I've had some success with grouping all of the powered blocks on my torpedoes then toggling that group ON right after it is welded.
    My merges or some reason have not acted up... yet, so I'm still in business :D
    I really hope that they fix this silly bug as this broke a lot of my older designs. :/

Edit:
    Question- If our craft are outfitted with conventional weapons (gatlings and rockets for example) is that acceptable given the understanding that these weapons will not be used? Or are all submissions to be stripped of all conventional armament?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  20. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

I'm thinking my torpedo might do better if I shortened it a bit, but it works fine for now and I'm hesitant to change something that works, not to mention reduce its mass. Its hitting power is already reduced significantly because the fortress's gravity shields necessitate turning off the mass blocks after launch; in all practicality, no usable structure would have such things, so the Exocet normally left them turned on. The worst thing that seems to happen now is the nose will punch through but then get stuck, leaving the back end intact. But that just means more pain on the next shot when the second torpedo sets it all off at once.

Did I see you say earlier that we're allowed to be up to 5% overweight? That will certainly allow me to add a few little visual improvements here and there.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  21. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Gravity shields are actually very practical given proper implementation. It is possible to make spherical gravity shields that don't affect the crew like this :)

22. RyansPlace Apprentice Engineer

You're right. I wasn't tracking the merge bug allowed linkage to the torpedo. Everything works fine now so long as they don't 'fix' the merge. Apologies for the mellow-drama.

On the contest. My build fits every requirement (including bonus) except for being a ship. It's a stationary turret (see pics in previous post). I have a ship design, but it'll be a few weeks before it's ready. Can I enter?

23. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

@RyansPlace Ok, I think we can allow that, just this once. It will still need to be ready for survival though, with fuel and air. You may receive certain penalties however as the specification asks for a ship.

@Whiplash141 I'd prefer it if there were no weapons present, but I suppose i can remove them when I paste your ship in. I may have to give a small penalty though, as I think everybody else has removed their guns.

There is a problem unfortunately. My PC is in a bad way. One of my GPU's died on Sunday and since yesterday my CPU is running far too hot to play Space Engineers. I'm going to service it later, so I'm hoping I can sort it. If I can't fix it, I'll have to run the test on my laptop. I've not tested it yet though. Has anyone tried the test world with specification similar or inferior to this?

CPU: I7 3610M
    GPU: HD 4000 (Integrated)
    6GB RAM
    Windows 8.1

24. Vaskadar Apprentice Engineer

I simply cannot allocate enough time this week :(

25. Kovendon Apprentice Engineer

@iN5URG3NT:
    Any chance this fortnightly contest gets a week delay considering the projector/merge issues and your own computer troubles?

I know I have a sizable sim speed drop on my rig with my weapon system- several rotors and welders have that effect. Also the number of projectiles in play can get pretty high with my launcher...

I'm guessing the amount of turret fire and destructive glory those other submissions deliver won't be easy on laptops either.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make things work either way, but I was curious if you were considering that as an option when it comes to testing the submissions.

26. Agnar Apprentice Engineer

I play with an ASUS G73-Jh, five years old with a ATI Mobility HD 5870, 8 gb ram, Intel I7 @ 3.17 ghz. My test submission is about the size of your tiger corvette, and in the test world the lag and sim speed drops are horrendous, I can't imagine a computer with worse specs will do very well at all. Sadly, the performance issues directly effect PMW effectiveness, like I said earlier my weapon systems just phase through your armour, or bounce clean off.

In light of that, I would strongly recommend against judging with that laptop....

27. Shadowcalen1 Apprentice Engineer

Im running a I7 4700Hq with 2Gb 970m and 16Gb of ram, I lag very hard with just 20 welders on (there are a total of 40, 20 for each barrel), so Im not sold on that laptops ability to run my entry. That may be due to the welder overlap bug though, as I average 40FPS without welders on.

28. RyansPlace Apprentice Engineer

High Ground found a way around the welder bug by using SioxerNic's Precise Timer script. I'm still figuring out the details, but you can see his blueprint here:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=453789280

As for me. My build has only six welders. So it shouldn't be an issue. Blueprint link posted below:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=467941274

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  29. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

That's what I thought :(

I've checked out my PC and I know what's wrong. I think I can get it fixed this week, assuming what I'm doing sorts out the problem. I'm roughly 75% sure it will.

Anyway, since there have been some requests for an extension, my PC died and we've had the whole projected stuff turned off debacle, I have decided to extend the deadline one week. I hope this means we can get a few more entries. However, because you've all had an extension, I will have to be less forgiving of entries that do not meet the spec.

New deadline: 6pm GMT 3rd July 2015

30. noxLP Junior Engineer

Regarding to the merge blocks bug, i have just changed the main merge block with a normal armor block and a grinder(slower at launching but it's only like 5-6 seconds per bomb slower, no more), and the rest of the merge blocks i switch on them all with a script while printing, so i have it almost finished. I'll finish it today or tomorrow.
    If anyone need help with that i can try to make the script more readable, but it do not work with the main merge block that join together the missile and the ship, it get welded just too much fast and the script executes once per second, so it never achieve to switch on BEFORE getting welded and the merge block just end flying through the space :D

Anyway, i have just realize that my SE main menu says that i'm at 1.086... o_O wtf? Steam says there are no more patchs to download, my settings for SE and all the games are to update allways :confused: but i'm suffering the merge block bug too... it's soooo weird, now i don't konw if i am at 1.086 or 1.087 or what.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.