Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Building Contest Closed - Winner Announced] Killer Vanilla Challenge Three: I Am Become Death...

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by iN5URG3NT, Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Hydrohawk Trainee Engineer

First off, thanks for the extension. give more time for refinement!

Quick rule question though. The rules state that the ship is a Large/Mixed Grid. Does that mean a completely small ship system would be qualified? If that's the case, I'll have to start over (was building a small ship heavy bomber).

2. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Nope, that's ok, you can't really do anything that a mixed grid could not.

3. noxLP Junior Engineer

Nothing, it simply don't work, now in my menu screen suddenly appears 1.087, the script works perfect in creative, automatically print and reload and switch on merge blocks and all blocks while printing and what not, but it just don't work in survival. Don't ask me what's the difference between merge blocks in creative and merge blocks in survival, but it seems to be some difference i don't know :confused:

I have no more ideas, so if keen don't fix that this thursday i give up :eek:ops:

4. Street Deacon Apprentice Engineer

maybe power no matter what in creative while in survival no power to your missile?

5. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Latest update fixed welded blocks being turned off, and reduced welding lag! Woohoo!

6. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Great news, Keen fixed the problem! :D

Now I just have to fix my computer... :(

7. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

@iN5URG3NT glad to see all is working well,or atleast hope? Hope to see a increase of entries because of deadline extension.

@WardenWolf for shit and gig-isles i shot my ship with your missles, 3/4 gone to main structure. Granted this made me feel i needed to return the favor. At work right now but will up-load pics when home a good 7 hours from now. My hp punched a hole and used your preloaded shell for help, with it removed ddnt seem to do much but a hole, the he shell was just like using the delete funtion except like 3 thrusters and a hand full of armor hoorah for M.A.D.

• Like Like x 2
  8. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

@Fluffy the Fleshpound Haha, can't say I'm surprised. The thing wasn't intended to go into the heat of combat. Also, the automatic reload system was designed to simplify things for the contest, but I know it's not good for survival; sometimes you don't want that big missile in there. After the contest is over I'm going to rework it slightly. I want to put a blast door on the front of it, assuming I can get rotor limits to actually WORK. I'm not going to screw too much with a fully functioning ship right now, as it's very effective and has decent aesthetics.

I tested this against my Mothership, which is the largest ship I've ever created (as well as my most popular Workshop item). I aimed right at the factory section, as that's where there's the most blocks (otherwise lots of interior space). It blew the ship completely in half. And that's NOT a tiny ship. Against light armor, it's a holy terror. Against heavy armor, it's still very effective. The only "problem" is that sometimes it may not fully penetrate and get stuck in the target, back end sticking out. But that problem is soon rectified when the next missile slams home and you get a double explosion as a result.

9. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

Well just a sneak preview because they way i had mine set it been done for a bit, i started working on aesthetics and break away armor (not reactive because it can be used offensively and defensively). The MPS in which is the stripped down contest version, and then there's the BRC and today the 74X9 Corporation is showing a sneak preview, 6 seperate Hvy. Armor break aways that can really mess up any high speed persuer, or be released before breaking at targets for added decoys or kinetic damage armor plates do have thrusters and gyros that break away for added weight loss if need be. Mainly the performance of the ship was only slightly altered because each additional armor could pull its own weight. As well further development should weild replaceable plating, and gravity force off.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  10. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

That certainly looks like a neat entry, Fluffy. Can't wait to see it in action.

Now that welded blocks are fixed, I'll go in tonight and fix my timers back to how they were. I may also have to tweak things now that welding lag is fixed.

@iN5URG3NT So, welding lag is dependent on the individual computer. If your computer is less powerful than mine (AMD 8350 with a GeForce 980) it's possible the welders will take longer than the timer. Although most likely yours is more powerful as far as Space Engineers goes, because Space Engineers is single threaded and per-core power is higher with Intel. My CPU eats most modern games simply because it's got 8 cores.

If you need to adjust the timer, the timer is named "Reload - Stage 2". I'll publish a full set of instructions after I finish removing the battery charge delay I added earlier.

11. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

More good news. My PC is working again! I even managed to bring a GPU back from the dead! I'm still giving everyone an extra week though.

12. noxLP Junior Engineer

13. noxLP Junior Engineer

Btw...

That ship and that skybox looks both really cool!

14. noxLP Junior Engineer

Sorry, it seems i got panic :p, i fix it just adding one more static welder below the merge block. It seems that somehow (don't ask me why) the rest of the missile blocks damage the merge block, the welder repair it and seems all right now.

15. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

16. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Edit: Okay, what the? I was overweight slightly after the patch. I jumped from under 3000 tons to 3032 tons. I removed 2 unneeded timer blocks. Dropped down to 2990 tons. Added 1 timer block, and it only added the proper 259 kg. Something is buggy.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  17. Fluffy the Fleshpound Trainee Engineer

@WardenWolf Off hand don't know exact title i'll look when i'm home. But i think its precursors of space, farles xt-20 or something.

18. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Okay, @iN5URG3NT, instructions for use:

First, a bug workaround: open the panel and set the Sound Block to Alarm 1. This will alert you when you can fire a new shot. Now for actual use:

1. Press 2 and zoom in with the camera to aim. Aim a bit above the targeted spot (if aiming at the side, center the crosshairs at the upper edge of the side where it starts to taper)
    2. Press 3 to lock the gyroscopes to ensure your point of aim won't shift between shots.
    3. Press 1 to fire. It will fire and automatically reload. When the alarm buzzes, press 1 to fire again. It's that simple.

Please note: due to welding lag, it is impossible for any of us to know, with absolute certainty, how long it will take to weld up a projectile on your system. If the projectile is not being properly completed, please adjust the timer block named "Reload - Stage 2".

Beyond that, it's pretty much impossible to screw up. There's safeties in place to keep you from accidentally firing again too soon and messing up the timing sequence, so just hit 1 when you hear the alarm and all will be good (or BAD, depending on which end of the warhead you're on).

19. noxLP Junior Engineer

One question, how much take your batteries to recharge? I have 4 large reactors and like 20 small reactors and the whole printing process take like one/one and a half minute, my batteries are red when "disconnected" from the mother ship.

20. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

I get sufficient battery charge for a launch within a few seconds off of 1 large reactor. The projectile only has 3 batteries.

Make sure that the batteries are in Recharge mode when printed, and Recharge is unset when the projectile is fired. This will get you your charge.

21. noxLP Junior Engineer

Yes, I scripted something wrong, now is debugged and all working perfect, ty! ;)

So... I think Barry's band have seen a interesting advertisement ;)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=471132058

This ship has no other objective than large distance bombardment, it have been tested using the Decoy Cluster Bomb MKII ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=471132620 ) at 1.5 - 2 km, with a little deviation around 5º up (iN5URG3NT , aim just a bit down, please ;) , 5º is approximated, at 1.5km and at full zoom, so just a bit).

Perfect for bombardment at stations or large and slow ships, while keeping faraway from the real combat, it's a space artillery ready for anyone with the lesser pilot abilities:

- Camera for better aiming (hit 1)
    - One button bomb printing and reloading (hit 2)
    - One button stop printing (hit 3 - WARNING - once stopped, don't reload until the bomb bay is clean)
    - Auxiliary Gyroscope group for better aiming when zoom in (hit 5)
    - Remote control with GPS waypoint stored for Killer Vanilla station destruction ;) (hit 8)

All in one single captain cabin.

Two more cabins allow your commrades to watch for enemies at any angle with one camera per side, and two connectors armed in pistons for refueling safely at your favourite station.
    Fully conveyored, pressurized with main and bomb airlock (press button!) and stocked to launch up to 10 Decoy Cluster Bombs.

Your local Mob boss won't be dissapointed anymore!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. noxLP Junior Engineer

I almost forgot, i have tested it from the stored GPS waypoint: sit at captain cabin, press 8 key for autopilot, aim just a bit down from the station antenna, hit 2 key, sit back and wait (like one minute and a half per bomb) to watch status LCD or the explosion via aiming cam. In my tests with the MKII bomb, the station core last 4-5 hits.
    It's better to switch off gyros when you are at full zoom, i just set a group with a large number of gyros at 5.

All the printing and reloading process were scripted from scratch (and i can assure you i'm not a professional programmer... lots of headache debugging :eek:ops: ), same with airlocks, that works just hitting the button.

Due to the weight limit, the engines room is an all-purpose room: reactor, cargo, thrusters, cryopods, oxygen, timers and programmable blocks, aswell as an auxiliary cabin and passengers seats.

Oh, and thanx to all the other participants for the questions solved :p ;)

• Like Like x 1
  23. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Thanks to @noxLP , @Fluffy the Fleshpound , @WardenWolf and @RyansPlace for your submissions. That's some serious firepower right there.

That's four entries now. Five days to go. I wonder if we'll get a few more contestants? Everyone likes PMW right?

24. Shadowcalen1 Apprentice Engineer

Well, There seems to be a bug that causes printed merge blocks to act as if they are on even if they are off, totally wrecking my original design. Im going to see If I cant come up with a incredibly derpy secondary ship by the end of today, as I am moving soon, and wont have any further opportunity.

25. Shadowcalen1 Apprentice Engineer

Question, do grinders count as conventional weapons?

26. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Use of thrusters, grinders, or drills seems fair - the tool is unlikely to survive the defensive turrets on the station though. It would be an interesting challenge to make it work.

27. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

28. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

@iN5URG3NT, idea for your next contest: fighters. But with the requirement that they be realistic (i.e., an exposed cockpit, with the full forward view unobstructed). Weight limit 60 tons or so.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  29. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

I'm happy to announce that there will be six competitions in "season one" of Killer Vanilla. One to five will be fortnightly, except when Keen breaks stuff :D. Six is the season finale and will be one month long.

Yes, I think we need a small grid only competition at some point. If you can think of a suitable test for a small ship, please let me know. See below for details.

I have all of this seasons competitions ready now, but I would like to use some community ideas for season two. If you have an idea for a test, please PM me, no spoilers! However, it is not an entirely straightforward process to make up these competitions, so do make sure you think through how you would test potential submissions.

Most competitions I have seen appear to be effectively beauty pageants. IMO, Killer Vanilla's best selling point is the test and the fact that I actually pilot every single entry and give feedback. However, from experience gained in the first round, I can say fast paced combat related tests are tricky to judge since they largely rely on pilot skill. This creates a situation where it is hard to tell whether a submission failed due to poor engineering or dodgy piloting. It took over five hours to perform testing in round one (mostly due to me thinking "I could have done that attack run better, restart!"), but less than two hours to test entries in round two. This is before I've even started on the write up. The test must be straight forward, unambiguous and simple.

For reference, this is how I test submissions:

Aesthetics: How good does it look? This is always judged with regard to it's role. E.G Cargo ships and the like rarely look particularly sleek, sexy or dangerous, so I look more at their layout, colour scheme, attention to detail, interior etc.

Performance: An analysis of the raw data in regard to the ships role. Forward acceleration, gyro/mass ratio, cargo space, seating capacity etc.

Suitability: THE TEST. Did the ship pass or fail? If it passed, did it make it look easy or did it just blag it? If it failed, was it a catastrophic failure or was it just bad luck. Submissions get one shot at the test each. I always restart if a submission fails due to pilot error.

Survival Capability: Basically, is this ship worth it's cost and is it useful in it's role in survival? For example, I consider manufacturing/mining equipment an unnecessary waste of mass on a warship. Large reactors are unnecessary when a few small ones will do. This is again judged on the submissions role. For example, in the current round; I am become death..., I am considering entrants to be faction war grade superweapons and will judge them accordingly.

I look forward to hearing your ideas! However, I need to stress that I need relatively detailed plans rather than vague concepts. Competition winners are given priority. If I use your idea, you will be credited.

Let's hope we can stage many more Killer Vanillas. I am consistently amazed by people's ingenuity in this game and testing your submissions is loads of fun. Except when you don't put uranium in. :D

30. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

I believe a modified Military Transport would be a good baseline for judging a small ship. It's tough and has quite a few weapons, and is the stereotypical "hard target". The modifications would primarily entail reinforcing weak points and adding additional weapons to the belly. Success would be judged by rendering it unable to fight, either through destruction of all its weapons, its engines, or its main reactor.

I've modified a number of these. And while I've never tested any of my fighters against them, I know how to fix their problems and make them tough.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.