Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Bulldozer

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Urzu1000, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Urzu1000 Trainee Engineer

Disclaimer: I wasn't certain if this should go in the 'Celestial Bodies' sticky thread, but I felt this was different enough to warrant its own.

My suggestion is that a method for flattening land be added into the game. On the current asteroids, I have found this very difficult with the current voxels. There's always indents or lumps, and if I break a lump with the hand drill, it usually ends up as a hole.

I think this will become significantly more relevant in planets and on moons, and adding a device that can flatten the terrain would be excellent for making bases.

If this is impossible with the current voxel design, or if anyone has any extra input, please share!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. VonKlutch Trainee Engineer

+1 Would absolutely Love to see this.

3. Braxbro Junior Engineer

Engineer a drill system to do it.

4. SenorZorros Master Engineer

I think a bulldoer would be great though it might be hard to realistically implement.

5. Dakroth Apprentice Engineer

I've always used small ship miners to flatten large areas. It takes a bit of patience and constant watching to make sure you're not drifting, but it works! It doesn't take very long once you get the hang of it. Small ships are relatively cheap, so you can build a stupidly large drilling face for the task, too.

-Dakroth

6. Jones-250 Apprentice Engineer

You could create a small ship with wheels and drills that could work as @Dakroth suggests, with the wheels to guarantee the smoothness and to remove the risk of removing too much.

7. EternityTide Senior Engineer

I would suggest a form of geological milling machine (those of us familiar with milling machines, I apologise, but I need to explain it for newcomers).
    A milling machine is a device which is equipped with a drill bit that is flat on the drilling end. Instead of descending vertically like normal drill bits, milling bits travel horizontally, cutting any material above the level of drill bit.
    A larger version of this could be employed in a similar manner to the application of TBMs (Tunnel Boring Machine), to cut out level planes of stone.

8. MaxTheManiac Apprentice Engineer

Yeah an easy way of making land flat would be great

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.