Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Camera feeds to LCD display

Discussion in 'General' started by tyrsis, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Devon_v Senior Engineer

What occured to me is if you assign an LCD a set of textures as an animation, and all those textures happened to be camera render targets, you'd have a cycling security system.

2. Mezinov Trainee Engineer

This is going to be what breaks the camels back for me; once it is released it may just be the first mod I install. And once one is in, all the others I've been eyeing will pile in.

I am one of those Vanilla Purist who think the really good ideas should be put in / absorbed by the Devs so that it is official and forever supported - but this is a big deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Sometimes it takes a great mod to get an idea into vanilla. The jump drive was a mod. Planets were mocked up multiple times before Keen announced they were going to do it. People were designing airlocks long before there was air to lock, and strapping rocks to little cars on rotors before there were wheels or gravity for grids. Now we have working airframes, we can burn up on reentry, and we're prototyping functional remote monitors. Whenever people say Keen doesn't listen to us I look back on all this stuff and feel that while they may not engage in much dialogue with us, they are clearly aware of what we are doing.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

Would it be possible to make the allocated pool dynamic? Say, be able to change it from 20% to 50% while in game? Or at least make it a config option, cause if someone has like a 980ti they are gonna have a lot of extra frames lying around.

5. tyrsis Junior Engineer

Yes this is already working. You can have 1 screen that cycles through feeds, and actually gives better frame rate on the LCD, since you're only ever actually showing a single feed at a time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tyrsis Junior Engineer

Yes the rate can be adjusted

7. TheDuke540 Apprentice Engineer

I gotta say, this is very exciting! I can't wait until you put it out there. I would probably use it in it's current state... hint hint

8. Devon_v Senior Engineer

You're not the only one. :)

9. tyrsis Junior Engineer

Fixed the final issue (LOD transitions in dx11). This now works in dx9 and dx11 properly. Just doing some cleanup. Will prob be available as a mod in the new year. Just a video showing off no more LOD transition issues, and also now you can get feeds from other things besides cameras (turrets for example, and eventually other players).

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. chrisb Senior Engineer

Great work. Looking forward to this, should you make it available. :)

11. Barfbag Trainee Engineer

A mod? Keen should be adding this in as a an official feature and paying you for it. This isn't just a minor addition it's a full blown feature. The fact that you got this to work without huge performance loss is amazing.

12. Malware Master Engineer

While a good idea in general, I don't think the frame borrowing technique will really fly for an official feature. People won't understand it, and complain about poor performance.

I definitely acknowledge that this is an accomplishment, but I'm not fully convinced yet. I still haven't seen any really complicated scenes, with several ships with screens, planetary scenes etc. Actual player worlds. That's when I believe he'll start having trouble. One small ship and one asteroid isn't really convincing to me. I need to see a scene where the initial frame rate is <60 in the first place, because realistically that's what most people have on planets. If he can do that, then I will agree this is official feature material.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I feel the need to be realistic about this. I'm not trying to take away from your accomplishments here, @tyrsis. This is excellent work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. tyrsis Junior Engineer

While I am in the render thread, and I'm using up some processing, the amount I take is limited, and can be shut off completely. Just like the PB takes processing time from the CPU and is limited. The whole idea is to give the ability to do it if you have GPU to spare, but also not enough that it causes issues with gameplay. And if you find it too taxing, you can shut it off completely. This isn't an all or nothing system, there is a lot of wiggle room to take as much or as little as you want. It can just be another option that you switch off if it's causing performance problems. The idea behind the system is solid, and there really is no other way to do it. I'm taking a world render and putting it on a texture. It's how the devs would do it. There is a bit of wiggle room when it comes to the rendering method. I could mess with the culler some more or cut down on a lot of effects or other stuff, but if you've looked at the renderers for dx9 and dx11, it's a bit of a chore, and each one requires different solutions for the same problems.

As far as showing this working on planets, I will do it once everything is complete. Loading planets and recording is quite the chore, so I don't do a lot of testing on planets, but I will definitely show a situation like that once it's all said and done.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Sad_Brother Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for all your efforts!
    You can take all frames above some limit (60 or so) and some percent of frames below.
    Each player would have picture, his comp can support. I like it!

15. Vorg Trainee Engineer

Would be nice to see this go stock. Something that would be also nice is if it can be set up so that several cameras can feed one screen and you just select the camera from your hot bar. From the in came control pannel for a ship/station, when the camera/s selected you could have a drop down list of LCD's to link them to. turning on one camera would turn off any others feeding it.

16. iDare Trainee Engineer

Do we have any news at this project? :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maegil Senior Engineer

Actually it looks better than real security cameras. If you look at the CC monitors that some shops have in public view, you'll notice it's almost stop-motion. Here's another example:

18. Malware Master Engineer

People don't want security cameras. People want flight cameras, docking cameras, to be able to fly their ship encased in armor. That at least has been a common theme. As I have said many times: People aren't reasonable.

However, this technique will definitely work nicely for people with high grade computers.

19. Maegil Senior Engineer

If you want real time flight cameras, you're probably controlling a ship or drone and already have a live feed on the cockpit. If you're just standing on the bridge watching the action on an LCD, what tyrsis did is good enough, and actually better than real life CC feeds.

20. Malware Master Engineer

It's not me you need to convince. People wanted to pilot their ships with LCDs showing multiple angles. Personally I'd be happy with this.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  21. Krutchen Apprentice Engineer

This looks amazing, man, and I'm extremely eager to check out whatever you put out if you continue your work on this project. Have you done any testing to see how this may work in multiplayer?

22. SidewinderCZ Trainee Engineer

wooow thats look nice

23. Devon_v Senior Engineer

What I'd like is to be able to pilot my megaminer while also looking at my LCD readouts for damage reports and current processing capacity. :)

Real-time rear view and docking cameras would be cool, too.

The mod already seems suitable for my needs, I'm just waiting for the release.

24. OzyWizard Trainee Engineer

Love this. The stuff you could do.
    Could be cool. Like reversing cameras today on cars. Turn on when needed and off most of the time

25. Krougal Senior Engineer

Awesome work! I was rather disappointed that this wasn't a vanilla feature, but figured it was for performanc reasons.
    Glad to see that it might actually be possible to have this and not send framerate down the shitter. So many useful applications for this.

26. Devon_v Senior Engineer

You could do this by changing the image assigned to the panel.

27. Archangel1-1 Trainee Engineer

@tyrsis did anything ever come of this mod? I have a project that is in dire need of just what you have done.

28. tyrsis Junior Engineer

Testing on it will begin soon. There is a lot more involved than just plopping it on steam.

The two remaining issues revolved around how LCDs were implemented. First off their texture list directly reflects what it pulls out of the definitions file. This is bad in that I can't make a dynamic texture list (yet). It really only requires that they make a static field and instance field instead. (If I can pin down a dev for a minute they can fix it, but it's tough to get a dev at a good time to do it).

The second issue is that selected textures are cleared if they aren't in the definition file. That means when you reload, the texture you selected that is a camera is cleared. These are two annoying issues because of the amount of access I have to the classes involved is limited in that they pull directly from a list that isn't instanced.

• Informative Informative x 1
  29. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

I'd like to try this with feed coming from real cctv cameras .D

30. Devon_v Senior Engineer

That actually works. No joke.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.