Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Cannot find config file for mod

Discussion in 'General' started by GriffintheD, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. GriffintheD Trainee Engineer

So I installed the energy shields mod and I want to go into the config file and change the shield mode to alternative mode, but I can't find the config file for the mod.

I've been trying to find it and google can't help, and the only other person that tried helping just said "Look in appdata" and I already did that.

Thanks in advance!

2. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

Technically, this is a question you should be asking the mod author, not Keen.

From the main page :
    In your AppData/Roaming/SpaceEngineers/Storage/EnergyShields_EnergyShields/ folder you can find the configuration file EnergyShieldsRelease.cfg that is generated if you have started the mod once. There you can change the values of the generators and upgrade modules to your taste.

3. GriffintheD Trainee Engineer

Yeah, that's where I went a few times but it's not there. I've even looked up videos at this point and where they goes doesn't line up with mine.

4. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

The mod files don't download to a person's computer anymore.

5. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

I don't agree with Spiff at this time.

Just now, I subscribed to "Energy Shields" mod. Started a game with that mod enabled. I see a directory of AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Storage\484504816.sbm_EnergyShields. In that directory is EnergyShieldsRelease.cfg just like the mod main page states. I can use Notepad++ to edit that file. Pretty easy......

@GriffintheD: Just to clarify, how far down that directory do you see? AppData? SpaceEngineers? Storage?

6. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

Sorry. I've had experience with other mods not downloading. My mistake on this one.

7. Roxette Senior Engineer

Of course they do. They could not work otherwise. Since the change to the way the game handles mods with the "New Steam Workshop integration" in game update 1.188 they are just stored in more obfuscated formats and locations. They can now be found in now held in
    <steam installation path prefix>\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\244850\<mod ID number>\
    in extracted form with added metadata text files, and with additional metadata held in other parts of the Steam subdirectory tree.

8. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

It appears that the planet mod I was looking for is indeed stored in the Steam folder. I had to wade through dozens of folders, most of them empty, to find the planet mod files. I presume it's OK to dump all the empty folders?

9. Roxette Senior Engineer

You just needed to look at the workshop page for the mod and search for the folder named with the same number as the page address. I'm pretty sure empty folders can be deleted if they are actually empty (no hidden files) but at your own risk... steam is just a crock and never cleans up its own mess :/

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.