Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Cargo Ships Status in Multiplayer with Planets?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Soulthule, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

Just a quick shout out - anyone have any details on the progress of being able to activate cargo ships again? I didn't see it in the road map and I specifically remember the day Keen rolled Planets in their live feed and in the documentation this was a temporary issue.

My players really like that feature (I do as well) and there are a lot of great mods that can't be used currently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

Well after a half a day I will take silence as no one as a clue. That's my only issue with the dev's process. Lack of information to the testers... ???

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rexxar Senior Engineer

I don't know, but it's pretty irritating. The fix for it is probably just a few lines, but it's a bit hard to say without updated source code. I considered implementing it myself in Essentials, but the prefab system is complicated and I don't feel like figuring it out.

I'll see if I can't find a dev to ask, I know it's highly requested.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

I would love to run essentials again, was just getting in when it was struggling to keep up with breaks/changes Keen was running in the code. I messed up my database because I wasn't paying attention. Great program, but I'm a rookie using it.

5. rexxar Senior Engineer

Essentials is perfectly safe right now, actually.

Without going into too much detail, I'm working on some big changes that should make SESE stable more or less permanently.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

Rexxar, my friend you are truly epic! Keep up the good work! I thought SESE was dead because of the dev changes. Could you please point me to the install instruction I want to install it later tonight. One question, does it have the ability to restart the server by doing a service check upon a crash? I know it has a ton of features, half of which I need to start utilizing.

7. rexxar Senior Engineer

Check the help thread linked in my signature.

Yup. In the Automated Restart section of the Essentials config, set RestartWhenUnresponsive to true. Essentials will watch the server thread to see if it goes unresponsive, then it'll kill it. To set up automatic restart, you need to start SESE with the autostart switch so it knows which instance you want. Create a shortcut to SEServerExtender.exe, then right click and hit properties. In the target box, add at the very end
    Code:
    autostart instance="<instance name>"

• Like Like x 1
  8. Echillion Senior Engineer

All we need now is to separate the ships and drones into their appropriate factions?

9. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

Thanks again Rexxar. I am downloading SESE today. Another question, I have to unflag "Permanent Death" every time I restart/start the server. We don't play with ownership disappearing. I have maintained several times to the devs (Phand) that is the only flag that doesn't save in the config file in the last state you picked check/uncheck. As result, is there a way to make sure that option stays off during the auto restart function of SESE?

10. rexxar Senior Engineer

SESE uses a different method to save the game config (I think). As long as you hit the save button after changing options and before starting the server, you should be good.

11. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

Sorry about jumping the gun on this one. I see there is an option in your SESE that shows permanent death as false. In the Dedicated Server SE GUI Console it is always flagged whether I save the configuration or not. When I rerun the console its there again. Clearly a bug, however I couldn't get Phand to understand that I wanted it to remain unchecked! I have SESE running now! I'm going for essentials next!

12. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

Rexxar, not being extremely knowledgeable with this script - am I replacing the words in the quotes "" with an actual name of SESE server service?

13. rexxar Senior Engineer

Replace it with whatever you have in the server name box

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

Thanks, and sorry for the bother - Just paranoid I will break something with SESE by not understanding.

15. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

I was able to get the auto restart to work, however I encountered some sort of corruption with my map where all small grids(ships) had all of their guts missing and what was left was the shell of armor. Those grids where visible but players could fly through them like they were projections. I loaded SEToolbox to verify they were all still there and they were. All large ships were unaffected.

I had to remove the Essentials mod and run SE through the standard SE console with a map I had prior to installing SESE. Everything was back to normal other than some player progress.

At this point I'm afraid to run it as I had no idea what I did to cause that issue with small grids ghosted with all the missing blocks other than armor. I may have selected an option in Essentials that doesn't play nice.

16. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Wouldn't the solution be to check a cargo's ships anticipated travel vector to see if it will pass in the gravity field of a planet for the duration of its appearance? If so, just cancel the spawning or execute another random location and check that until a suitable location and trajectory are found?

All of this information can be gathered because a ship has to be placed on the map and the orientation of the ship has to be addressed anyways.

I'd be willing to bet that someone could create a cargo ship mod that fixes the problem in a day or less.

Does anyone know if encounter ships (randomly placed ships and stations) suffer the same fate?

17. rexxar Senior Engineer

Sounds like you have concealment turned on and have bad settings. In your game send the chat command /admin reveal force and it will force Essentials to reveal all concealed ships. I have no idea why concealment leaves armor block ghosts. It's probably because I'm doing something wrong.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. rexxar Senior Engineer

I haven't studied the cargo ship spawning in depth, but as I understand, when the game creates a cargo ship, it does a ray cast to see if there's any obstacles in its path like an asteroid. It really shouldn't be hard to check for a gravity well, the jump drive system already has that functionality. A normal workshop mod can't fix this because mods can't create new grids. It'd have to be done as a SESE plugin or something.

19. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

I think I did alter that setting, of course I had no business doing it as I didn't know specifically what it did. I am going to give it a go with my backed up database. If you are interested I have a copy of the db that has the ghost ships with only armor blocks. Maybe you can get some good info from it. I didn't need to have that on to begin with and am mainly interested in the auto restarts, greetings, log in/out log tracking etc..

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.