Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Changing mod save directory

Discussion in 'General' started by Braethias, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Braethias Apprentice Engineer

I've got a SSD that is becoming full, SE uses 4.1gb worth of space on my C: drive and the only thing I put/want on it is my OS.

Is there a way to change where the mods are saved to? I'd like to move them somewhere else and I didn't see any options in game to change this. SE.config file doesn't seem to have anything in it either.

2. Roxette Senior Engineer

No, there isn't. I stand corrected... :) Another option is to use a junction to have the directory relocated but the game see it at default position.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  3. Malware Master Engineer

Yes, there is. Add
    Code:
    -appdata yourpathhere

to your Steam shortcut Launch Options.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Roxette Senior Engineer

Are those documented anywhere? I've not seen that mentioned.

5. Malware Master Engineer

They've only been mentioned by me, because I was the one who... kinda... um. snuck it in there? :p

Given that all contributions were reviewed I have to assume they know about it :D but technically it's not an official feature. I had to have that when I was working on my additions, or I risked killing my "real" games...

I honestly think it was an accidental commit, I forgot to remove it before pushing the pull request, but I'm glad it's there because I'm using it permanently now, even though I'm not contributing much any more.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Roxette Senior Engineer

It's certainly a very useful feature, thanks. Being able to have multiple shortcuts to games with different data directories makes a lot of experimental and server-related fsck-ing about much easier indeed.

7. Braethias Apprentice Engineer

Excellent! I always thought the way the mods worked in SE was a little weird. I've had net problems sometimes and playing in offline does weird things to the mod directory, but space (haaaaa) was never an issue until I kept having to move and delete things off my tiny SSD.

8. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Possibly related: where are the save files? It seems like SE is stingier about backup files than I'd realized, and I had a scare last night when I discovered all the backup files were autosaves from within seconds of each other; it'd be good to make an occasional long-term backup file somewhere safe.

9. Roxette Senior Engineer

They are off the same root - standard location would be C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves\<steam ID64 number>\

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.