Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Check if there is an update via SteamCMD?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by mos, Jun 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. mos Apprentice Engineer

Does anyone know if its possible to check if there is an update of SE e.g. via steamcmd ?

So far our dedicated is scheduled to self-update every 10AM but I'd like to have some sort of scheduled task that runs, checks if there is an update and only restarts and updates the server if there actually is an update.

2. mos Apprentice Engineer

Hmm, apparently there is an auto updater script for generic use that calls the steam web api
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD#SteamCMD_AutoUpdater
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_Web_API

The call to the API is this link here, it requires a web api key that you have to register yourself

http://api.steampowered.com/ISteamU...B_API_KEY_GOES_HERE>&appid=298740&format=json

for some reason, the response for SE is
    Code:
    {
    	"game": {

}
    }
    The response for ME is the same empty result set. Another example 346110 for Ark:Survival Evolved returns more stuff but the game_version doesn't match either for that one. So it can return something but it doesn't really need to be correct or anything.

What to do...

3. Xemos Trainee Engineer

Im also curious as to this.. Steam CMD can be automated.. So if there was a way to tie SE to it, a LOT of headaches would be gone

4. mos Apprentice Engineer

Another rough idea would be like this
    • steamcmd update the game to a dummy folder
    • compare every file in that dummy folder to its corresponding file in your real folder
    • if at least one of the files are different, an update was released
    • if an update was released, perform shutdown, backup, update, restart
    • delete dummy folder for good measure
    That would work independent of the steam web API. It's kind of a rough solution but should be pretty much fool proof by itself.

5. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

i've been working on this for weeks.

I've found this command
    Code:
    steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_info_print 298740
    will dump the depot information for the SE DS the the command prompt window. It has build ID's near the bottom.
    The problem I'm having is that I can't do anything else with it. The output won't redirect in cmd and it's having trouble connecting in powershell (i suck at powershell so maybe something i haven't thought of). It's so frustrating to have the information I need and no way of getting to it.

Your dummy folder idea is the only working way I've heard of to check for updates without killing the server first. I even have access to the build server and I can't find a good way to trigger automatic updates on our test servers. There has to be something.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.