Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Checking in on the state of multiplayer...

Discussion in 'General' started by ThisIsADogHello, Jun 9, 2019.

1. ThisIsADogHello Apprentice Engineer

So I went to search for some Medieval Engineers servers to test something, but when I ran the search the results were a bit surprising.

[​IMG]

Three servers total for the game. No filters or anything, just every single public server listed, and there's three. And no players.

Even Ricochet, released back in 2000 as a little throw-away minigame thing using the HL1 engine, is beating it with 4 people at this moment playing, and 14 total servers.

[​IMG]
    More popular than Medieval Engineers.

2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Try using the in game browser instead? I think ME has one like SE does.

I don't get on ME much so maybe there isn't one... either way I have not had much luck with the Steam server list in years.
    I didn't know folks still used it. :)

3. Roxette Senior Engineer

The in-game server browser just requests the server list data via steam in exactly the same way as the steam UI server list, but then it requests more data from the server to populate the list with details and apply filters if set. The steam list will always show more servers than the in-game one, other than when subject to the vagaries of UDP packet loss.

4. bleakhead Trainee Engineer

ME has actually much more servers and there are playing some players. in my region, I see a medieval-engineers.eu server with around 20 players on it other servers have 5 players +- 3
    But I can also say, that the performance of ME got a great hit after the last update, so players left the game...

5. Thales M. Junior Engineer

True, performance is far more important than graphics. But even before the 0.7 update Nvidia GTX1080 (high settings at 1080p) couldn't sustain 60fps in forest areas with no buildings at all. It looks like LOD (Level of detail) was not very well done for trees and plants.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ThisIsADogHello Apprentice Engineer

Oh, huh, looks like you're right. Turns out it's an old bug, reported 11 Jan 2018. It was passsed on to devs and then apparently nothing ever happened, and now the game has no developers.

Anyway, checking the list of servers using the in-game browser, turns out there's a good deal more servers, and currently (14:40 BST) around 27 players. Adjusting my rankings, it is now over 10x more popular than Ricochet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Glad to hear that the in game browser is more up to date, sad to hear the bug has not been fixed.

I still think there is hope for bug fixes etc for ME in the future.

8. PeanutthaKid Trainee Engineer

It's actually not a bug for ME and SE, but something with Steam itself. Many games may show a few servers in the Steam server browser, but in the game itself shows an endless list.