Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Conservation of Momentum

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Victoriesx42, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Victoriesx42 Trainee Engineer

To add to the discussion of realism, I propose that the idea of conservation of momentum be implemented.

conservation of momentum is given (for a two body system)

m1V1 + m2v1 = m1V2 + m2V2

where m = mass and V = velocity

Since these quantities are already calculated in-game, I see no limitations on practically implementing the conservation of momentum.

2. Leonhardt Senior Engineer

Does it not already do that?
    Just turn off the inertia dampeners?

3. Skeloton Master Engineer

Yea, just press z and off you drift.

4. Victoriesx42 Trainee Engineer

That's not what I was referring to. I want the collision to be governed by conservation of momentum.

5. Skeloton Master Engineer

In what? Other ships which would most likey have dampers active. Or do you mean the infeasible moving asteroids?

6. Victoriesx42 Trainee Engineer

Look up conservation of momentum. I don't feel like explaining it anymore.

7. Skeloton Master Engineer

I think you didnt even put any effort in your explaination in the first place.

8. Falidell Apprentice Engineer

sense these calculations are already done in game...doesn't that mean it....is in the game? :confused:

9. YtramX Apprentice Engineer

I think he understands conservation of momentum. From what I can tell, the only things that don't follow this are asteroids and stations.

10. Skeloton Master Engineer

Well that bit got me too, i have no idea what is actually being suggested. As far as i know after a couple of 70-80m/s collisions with 24mil kg ships they drifted off so far there was another collision with a group of asteroids, and the debris floated off too.

Well on an instinctual level i understand but the maths not so much. However i was like that throughout all my science subjects, recieving the highest grades for science of my year.

11. Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

Right, we know what conservation of momentum is.
    Skeloton's point is that the targets that you're ramming will have their dampeners on 95% of the time.
    Unless you're ramming an asteroid, which is currently immovable.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.