Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Conveyor Rotors/ Collar Rotor

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by DMMWolf, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

I have been working around idea's for retracting refueling tubes, extending contact leads, and capital sized manned turrets for some time. The biggest issue I keep hitting is getting materials (Ammo, fuel, etc) from attachment point A to Ship C. The problem is in extending said materials across a system whose basic connection point is the Rotor, which in most cases breaks the connection besides actual contact between the different moving bits.

The concept I would like to propose is a set of parts.

First is the Collar Rotor, the Collar rotor is a 3x3x2 block with a 1x1x2 hole in the middle. Rotation occurs around the exterior of the upper block on the 2 deep side. This would allow for versitility in design for vessels/stations with moving parts allowing them to rotate on a center of axis that is not foced to any one side of the design. This would also allow vessels with parts that Orbit a central core.

Second are Large and Small ship Conveyor Rotors. This is literally a rotor assembly conveyor access built into its center. A Conveyor tube would be fed into either side of the rotor allowing materials to be transferred through one flexible portion to the next without need of Locking your moving parts in place with Connectors.

Opinions on this idea, Concept art on what you think i should look like, And alternate solutions to the problem, please lets hear and see it all.

2. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

Your collar rotor sounds very similar to a few previous suggestion threads...

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/turret-ring-modules-6854262

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/new-rotor-models-6854907

The conveyor rotor is an interesting idea... Basically a collar rotor, with a rotate-friendly collector connection in the middle?

3. Shaostoul Senior Engineer

I've attempted to make the collar rotor idea, but it loses connection currently. Until the devs fix it, it's not possible from the modding community.

4. Clent Devon Trainee Engineer

I think that today's update made the need for something like this much more obvious. It is awesome that we can control weapons through rotors, but it won't be of much use to us (in survival mode) if we can't get the thing loaded easily. So, bump.

5. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

Hes right. Today's Update makes this concept more desirable

6. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

To be honest, I'd settle for a connector/rotor hybrid in the short term, and hope for the larger ring rotor long term.

7. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

I think the Connector/Rotor is probably the more important of the two at the moment so yeah.

8. JTMC93 Apprentice Engineer

I would like to add the wish for a two-way rotor that can move up and down in a single block.

9. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

Could you please describe what you mean better?

10. JTMC93 Apprentice Engineer

Basically replace the rotor setup they had in their recent update(41) video with a single rotor block that can rotate horizontally and vertically.

Maybe even include a conveyor set-up to transfer items between the rotor base and what is on the other side. Essentially a block that you could use to make compact Gatling turrets for small ships. Or if the Rotor 'Feature/Bug' Thingy that Aaron showed in one of his videos is still usable a Gatling Turret array for large ships. Or Large Ship Missile Turrets.

11. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

I think I see where you are going with this... Basically, a 2-axis gimbal block?

12. JTMC93 Apprentice Engineer

I believe that is the term for it. Something akin to the Mechanism used for the camera system on the new Mule/Greyhound Drone the military is designing. Mainly just something that would help in building and balancing a Turret.

13. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

last check large>small ship rotors broke when they added adjustable height for rotors

14. JTMC93 Apprentice Engineer

Thought so I hadn't tried it as I was too focused on rebuilding my Planet Eater with Large Ship Drills.

15. Rulin Apprentice Engineer

I agree with you guys. A gimbal block with conveyor functionality would be awesome. Building turrets is no fun atm.

16. TheDeinonychus Trainee Engineer

gimbal or not, I'd be more than happy with adding ma conveyor function to some sort of rotor. It works with pistons currently, so I don't really see why doing the same thing with a rotor wouldn't work.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.