Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

could water physics be implemented like this by modding?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by halipatsui, Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. halipatsui Senior Engineer

So. I would personally really love to see water implemented in SE. But i have no idea how to mod it myself. So i am trying to give a maybe possible idea about implementing planetary water and hope some modder is intrested. So here goes:
    Adding graphics of water woumd work by adding a sphere from center of the planet that would create water surface graphically. It could be either transparent or a nontransparent texture. While inside this sphere
    Your screen would receive a filter that resembles underwater enviroment(think about camera block) and disabled or weakened natural gravity inside this sphere. Or to have artificial gravity facing outwards from planet center that only affects new block created to simulate boyancy(customising artificial mass block maybe?) Having stuff like this would allow tons of marine building mechanics and(probably) would not melt ones computer like strain from actual volumetric water would.
    of course it would not be actual water but it would be something.
    I would love to hear opinions of modders about this.
    Discuss please.
    --- Automerge ---
    Other possible features could be adding suffocation mechanic. And deleting the underwater-like filter when inside pressurised space.

2. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Anybody have opinions on this?

3. Devon_v Senior Engineer

It would work for oceans, but it would also cause all caves and mines below sea level to flood no matter what. Perhaps if there were a means of having the water sphere follow some sort of mask so that it only covered specific areas of the planet...

4. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Yeah that would be certainly a bad side. It would hovever kinda simulate real world problem of groundwater flooding mines. And it would still be funnier than nothing. I could accept flooded mines under certain depht for having somekind of oceans.
    --- Automerge ---
    Maybe the solution for this would be a cuwtom block that could delete the water taint from certain area? Sounds kinda hard to mod though.

5. Ravenal Apprentice Engineer

Water or Liquid in general is kind of a pretty big challenge to implement. Mainly because it is probably a separate entity that to of the actual voxel entities. I am pretty sure they are thinking of ways to make it work. But yes, I think there has to be rules applied to it as how it should work.

How will liquid be generated? They would have to add some sort of weather like system to planets so that liquid is moved around that creates an ecosystem. Where do rivers start?

The reason why I say Liquids is because liquids might be in form of gas, water, magma, oil etc. With density, flow etc. If they do it right, imagine being able to create hydroeletric dams by creating a generator block that is produced by water physics running through them? Now that would be rad. But for this to work well they have other things they need to fix, such as make it so that FPS is faster and more optimized and have the new "NET Code" put in place otherwise... It would take a lot of bandwidth.

6. halipatsui Senior Engineer

No no no no. Doing that would be something keen could be doing. I really doubt any modder can do dynamic weather system with volumetric fluids. What i was describing earlier was a very easy way to simulate water enviroment. Like seas or lakes. So we could have ship-combat etc easily. Rivers and actually flowing liquids would take tremendous amounts of calculations from computer to work, but a graphically enhanced sphere with buouancy mechanics could actually be possible. Or at least i think it would be way less cpu hungry.

7. spiritplumber Trainee Engineer

How about saying that the temperature on the earthlike planet is such that there is only one thaw step per day?

8. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

red faction did voxel style damage from explosives and in one case a mining machine.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Faction

The premiere feature of the game is its "Geo-Mod" technology, short for "geometry modification", which provided destructible environments, allowing the player to destroy certain sections of the scenery in the game.

that did have water but it was like a square stuck into an area.....something like that could be a thing..... :/ like an area of just floating water?

someone also mentioned using like minecrafts way of adding water were its in blocks.........something at a basic level that could be worked on later?

9. halipatsui Senior Engineer

That square idea is basically what i am proposing. But of course changed to a sphere for planets. Or why not certain ares that have water?

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.