1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Bug/Error Completed Country is personal information

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions and Bugs' started by Harag, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Harag

Harag Junior Engineer

The forum now displays the country of a member under the avatar. This is presumably done by consulting a geolocation database. Similarly to 'location' I consider 'country' to be personal information. So I expected this to be an option under "Personal Details" or "Privacy". It currently isn't.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

My only concern with it is that somebody may sidetrack an argument with 'oh you're from x country, no wonder'. Basically bringing nationality stereotypes/hate into the argument.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

I also see this as a privacy concern, on the Guru3D forums for instance we have the choice to give our location IF WE CHOSE TOO...

I do not particularly want my country of origin displayed for others to see.

4. Arcturus

Arcturus Senior Engineer

I would prefer to not display the country.

5. CptTwinkie

CptTwinkie Master Engineer

@DrVagax Is it possible the flag is ignoring privacy settings? I have seen a user with no flag so I assume if there is no information then there is no flag. However I see users who don't seem to be sharing their location info but have flags displayed anyway.

6. SilentSymphony

SilentSymphony Apprentice Engineer

Personally it does not bother me, However I do know a handful of people that have legitimate reasons for not wanting it to be broadcasted, In particular people who are overseas a lot for business and work or in the military.

7. DrVagax

DrVagax Administrator

I will write a script that allows you to hide your country. Be patient.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DrVagax

DrVagax Administrator

Could you also be so kind to take matters like this to a personal conversation? It looks rather odd to scroll around and to see these @DrVagax reports everywhere which are written like its a private message. :confused:

9. DrVagax

DrVagax Administrator

You are now able to hide your flag.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Harag

Harag Junior Engineer

Maybe I'm blind, but where?

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Master Engineer

On the privacy tab

View the flag for the country you are in

12. DDP-158

DDP-158 Master Engineer

On a side note I believe flags does have one upside. I learned the other day that some of the bots were from Pakistan. Would never have guessed that.

13. Harag

Harag Junior Engineer

Thank you for implementing this, by the way :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.