Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Custom Importer/Editor tool - SEToolbox

Discussion in 'Modding Guides and Tools' started by midspace, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.125.001 Release 1 is up. Download the latest from here.
    • Updated to work with Space Engineers 1.125.
    • Removed Medieval Engineers compatibility.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  2. astrocom Trainee Engineer

Got a new error for you, midspace! The window said "Could not load type 'Sandbox.Common.MyFinalBuildConstants' from assembly 'Sandbox.Common, Version 1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' "

3. midspace Senior Engineer

I don't even have to look at the log for this one, to tell you to download and install the latest version.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

@midspace

I have a suggestion for you and perhaps it's pretty easy or it's one of those easy-sounding suggestions that proves to be difficult.

I'd like to be able to repair planets or possibly asteroids but not damage peoples' ships or bases dug into the surface. I noticed that damage or removal of ore is described in a voxel file (VX2) and associated with a voxel map.

Example:
    Code:
    <MyObjectBuilder_EntityBase xsi:type="MyObjectBuilder_VoxelMap">
          <SubtypeName />
          <EntityId>792966254720648954</EntityId>
          <PersistentFlags>CastShadows InScene</PersistentFlags>
          <PositionAndOrientation>
            <Position x="220587.78062295914" y="89904.272191286087" z="68999.473572134972" />
            <Forward x="0.4359077" y="-0.3204378" z="0.8410137" />
            <Up x="0.7686961" y="-0.3534413" z="-0.5330906" />
            <Orientation>
              <X>0.8158625</X>
              <Y>0.504851758</Y>
              <Z>-0.105304569</Z>
              <W>-0.261541754</W>
            </Orientation>
          </PositionAndOrientation>
          <ContentChanged>true</ContentChanged>
          <StorageName>P(Dantus-537707445d240000)S((227, 61, 34))A(StoneCoverageIronCore__776)</StorageName>
        </MyObjectBuilder_EntityBase>
    In that map there are GPS coordinates describing its location. I'd love to see an optional feature to load these voxel maps into the list of objects in the game. But please make it optional as there could be a LOT of them.

But then I could sort them by distance from the player and get a relative idea of which ones might be close to players and stations... and which ones were not relevant to the game and could be deleted. Feel free to improve on the idea.

And thanks again for all the wonderful work.

5. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

I un and reinstalled SEToolbox, and my setup wizard won't close after I hit finish, and been waiting for ages.

Edit: when reinstalling I unchecked the run program immediacy thing and the wizard closes, but now when I go to run the program, it does not load and my computer slows down.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  6. midspace Senior Engineer

It sounds like the feature I outlined here.
    https://github.com/midspace/SEToolbox/issues/27

This sounds like a reported issue that people using Avast free antivirus have encountered.
    If you are using Avast, please read the following.
    https://github.com/midspace/SEToolbox/wiki/Current-Issues

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Not exactly. You referenced dynamic asteroids. This is more of a planet thing. When you dig a hole on a planet, you generate data regarding that hole into the 0_0 sandbox file that also references an external voxel map. I believe that removing this object would remove that specific hole in the planet. Over time a lot of data can stack up from players drilling into planets or smashing their ships into it.

So being able to remove that information without manually editing the sandbox file and referencing player made objects in the list to determine or be confident that you aren't crushing someone's base would be great.

8. midspace Senior Engineer

Unfortunately the details for a planet are stored in a single .vx2 file. It is not split up.

The VoxelMap you referenced above, this...
    Code:
          <StorageName>P(Dantus-537707445d240000)S((227, 61, 34))A(StoneCoverageIronCore__776)
    This is actually one of many boulders that are on the surface of the planet.
    For some reason this is stored seperately from the rest of the voxel content.

9. astrocom Trainee Engineer

Midspace, at the time I thought I was using the most recent version: 1.125.001 Revision 1, right? [​IMG] I see there's a newer one now. and the issue is gone after updating to 1.126.003.1

10. GhostinshellMMS Trainee Engineer

SEtoolbox is bugged wont start wont do anything at all, nope no bug report either i click the exe and nothing happens, except after a few moments one function after another stops responding and somehow the exe takes priorities to try and load untill the pc is totally frozen.

it seems something has changed on setoolbox that makes Avast think its a threat but dont quarantine it or warn about it? and in that effect setool refuse to stop trying to load so it keeps going and going in loop between the 2 till it utterly freezes the PC... lovely.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  11. MechanizedIT Apprentice Engineer

Hi midspace. I saw that SEToolbox doesn't support removing/changing voxel materials in asteroids anymore? Is there currently anyway to remove a certain voxel from an asteroid or planet? I was looking at the Developer Debug Screen in SE, there is a section called 'Voxels' seems to let you pick from a list of voxels, and some other list, do you know what all of this stuff is for?

12. midspace Senior Engineer

Avast is causing some issues since the recent version.
    Please read the following for recomendations:

The chaning of voxel materials has been a problem with the current file format for a while.
    https://github.com/midspace/SEToolbox/wiki/New-Asteroid-file-format

I've been looking at a possible solution to support the current asteroid format, but there is no ETA for it currently as there is some underlying changes to be made to Space Engineers first.

Any settings on the Debug screen are for testing issues in the game, not for modifying parts of the game.

13. midspace Senior Engineer

SEToolbox will break with the upcoming release of Space Engineers 1.128.
    Please expect an updated release of SEToolbox in 12 hours.

14. midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.128.005 Release 1 is up. Download the latest from here.
    • Updated to work with Space Engineers 1.128.
    • Fixed issue in installation package not cleaning up correctly during repair or uninstall..

15. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

I tried the "Generate Astroid Field" feature but it does not spawn any ore :( also if I use that "crazy mix" option the astroid can't be loaded by the game.

Do you plan to fix it or is it not worth it?

Also any idea how else to generate some astroid fields?

16. midspace Senior Engineer

This issue is well documented in the wiki. Please read it.

17. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

Oww now I feel stupid, thanks for the info!

18. midspace Senior Engineer

SEToolbox will break with the upcoming release of Space Engineers 1.129.

You may see the following message when trying to load a world:
    "System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'VRage.ObjectBuilders.MyObjectBuilder_Base VRage.Game.MyObjectBuilder_InventoryItem.get_Content()'."

Please expect an updated release of SEToolbox in 10 hours.

19. WilsonicG Trainee Engineer

SEToolbox will not load for me... does nothing. Does not freeze computer does not make error report I have no AV of any type running.
    It just sits on the task bar with SEToolbox - () and thats it.
    I am running win764
    Never had an issue with it before.

20. midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.129.003 Release 1 is up. Download the latest from here.
    • Updated to work with Space Engineers 1.129.
    • Fixed for changes in MyObjectBuilder_InventoryItem.

As always, please download and run the latest version.

21. astrocom Trainee Engineer

When I try to install 1.129.003.1 it tells me I'm not an administrator. I am an administrator. Windows 10 Pro x64. I tried going into properties and forcing it to run with administrator privileges but the check box is greyed out, and I can't seem to find a workaround to that online. There are a few events in Event Viewer that seem to be related. One has a source of MsiInstaller and lists the Error as #1303. There's also an event from Windows Error Reporting and that seems to reference a log file or archive. I tried accessing the directory manually, and the first time it worked, but I just tried again a moment ago and I can't touch C:/Program Files (x86)/Midspace. It just tells me over and over again that I don't have the necessary privileges / I need the approval of the administrator. I've confirmed I can do other things that require Administrator privileges, I renamed another folder in C:/Program Files (x86) and a few other things.

22. Jakaya Apprentice Engineer

So Im trying to move planets from 1 save to another im aware the import feature dosent work but when i try to drag and drop the application just crashes

An Error has been detected in the application that has caused the application to shutdown:

Object Reference not set to an instance of an object.

All I Did was create a blank Solar system and im trying to add it to my other world which only has earth and the moon in it im just going to set the game to creative and use SE Toolbox for the gps cordinates to add the planets but i hope this helps you fix the issue.

23. midspace Senior Engineer

There are some issues with copying planets with the drag-drop currently.
    To put it bluntly, it is broken. I do know about. And it needs fixing. I just haven't had any time.

I'm taking a guess here that Windows has applied the download property to the .msi file.
    This is a feature added since Windows 7.
    When downloading any application from the internet, as soon as it is completed and placed into you download directory, it has protection to prevent unintended execution of the file.

If you right click on the SEToolboxSetup-01.129.003.1-en.msi file, and click properties.
    You should have a dialog similar to the following.
    At the bottom, as highlighted you should find a button to "unblock" the file, and allow you to run it.

[​IMG]

24. Clanner Jake Apprentice Engineer

i tired twice to update my SEToolbox from the space engineers files which gave a weird error about corrupting any worlds i saved so i exited, but after i signed up to report his here it updated correctly; so if you still want the error data, if it even logged any, i can post it if i know where to look...

25. midspace Senior Engineer

No, that's fine.
    THe message is a general warning to warn users that using it *may* have unforeseen consequences. I haven't seen any as a result.
    If it updated correctly after that, then there is no problem.

26. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You can manually copy a planet into your game, but you'll need to move some files around and copy some code from one gamesave to another.

Do this with a backup of your donor save as well as your target save.

Copy the planet .vx2 file from the donor to the target. These files contain the voxel information about your planet.

Now open the SANDBOX_0_0_0_.sbs file using Notepad++. It's free code editing software that's VERY easy to use. You can just drag and drop the .sbs file on to Notepad++ and it'll open up.

Under the "SectorObjects" definitions are objects tagged with "MyObjectBuilder_Planet". Here's a sample of the Earthlike definition:

Copy the entire definition from the donor to target's sector objects definitions. Save the SBS file.

Repeat this process for every planet you want to move. Please note that if you're copying a modded planet that you downloaded from the workshop, you'll need to activate that mod in the target game save as well or the planet won't show up.

Okay... we're not done yet. You probably have some objects on or near these planets that you want to copy over as well. Open up the target game save in SEToolbox. You can copy over your ships and structures by dragging and dropping from one instance of SEToolbox to another.

They will be in the same position relative to the planet as they were in the donor save.

Now here's the tricky part. Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, you may not want the planets in the same place. You can use the group-move function to place everything in a new target location. This step can be a little tricky as you're not entering a new coordinate but an offset in three dimensions. I usually offset everything to arrive at 0,0,0 position, then move everything again to where I would like it; beats doing the math.

Once you're done, make a copy of the target world you've just edited and try opening the game. If you've made a mistake or need to tweak something, you might want to just delete the copy you've just opened and starting over on a copy of the safety copy.

Until you open the save in Space Engineers, you don't have to worry about two objects trying to occupy the same spot or any worries. It's just data. But once you do, SE calculates all of the collisions (if there are any) and you might end up with a few destroyed ships or bases if things are way off.

Hope that helps.

27. astrocom Trainee Engineer

Well, there's no security section or "unblock"button below the attributes line when I look at the properties of the msi file. On the other hand, I tried running the installation again and this time it worked without any problems. And I can access the folder under Program Files again.

28. midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.129.007 Release 1 is up. Download the latest from here.
    • Renamed "Replicable" to "Inventory Bag" and fixed crash caused during drag-drop.
    • Added specific tag for Planet to it can be identified in list.
    • Added drag-drop capability for Planet to copy planet from save game to save game.
    There will be no release required for SE 1.130.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Clanner Jake Apprentice Engineer

this is the most handy thing to have... i found a glitch that caused my ships to explode if i docked them sometimes and used it to save my rig. loosing a large ship cargo container with 10X worth of ore over a block not colliding, then deciding to collide with the force to put the ship i was towing it into orbit, wasn't acceptable. thanks midspace, you're a save.

30. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Say, @midspace, i was wondering. Is there a way to use SET to take a ship built in Space Engineers and scale it up to twice it's size?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.