Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Dedicated server connection question

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by DudleyD00rite, Apr 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DudleyD00rite Trainee Engineer

I am having issues with friends connecting to a dedicated server.
    I have setup the server per the instruction on Keen's and Steam's sites.
    I have updated the server to the current build.
    I have turned off all firewall rules by turning on the DMZ and pointing to my ip-address for the server.
    I am able to connect to the server from my steam client, so I know the server is functioning correctly.
    no one outside of my house is able to connect to the dedicated server
    If I start a game locally via the steam client and share it with friends they are able to connect to that game and play, but not to the dedicated sever side.

Is there a difference in how the dedicated server is exposed verses the way a local game thru the client is exposed?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer

2. Roxette Senior Engineer

Yes. You need to enable port forwarding on your internet router, so that traffic to UDP port 27016 (assuming you left this setting at the default in the server configuration) is forwarded to the computer running the server. Client to client networking uses Steam trickery and does not need this.

3. DudleyD00rite Trainee Engineer

I figured something is different, I have port forwarding specified for ports 27016 and I also turned on DMZ on the router which forwards every port to the server also. I suspect My ISP may be blocking but not sure now that it can get in with steam client.

Thank you for the reply

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.