Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Dedicated Server: Invalid Operation

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Bournout3000, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bournout3000 Trainee Engineer

Yesterday I set up a dedicated server. It worked all fine until that day Windows 10 forced me to install the creators update.
    After that the only reaction the server gives is a errormessage
    I reastarted my computer completely, then deleted the server completely (with a world backup of corse) and let Steam get the missing files. After this it still did not work so I reinstalled Spaceengineers completely but it still does not work.
    And yes I run the server as administrator and running it as a console didnt change a thing. So what options do I have left?

2. cheetah2003 Trainee Engineer

Encountering this same problem. Fresh install of Windows 10 CU, fresh install of Steam and Space Engineers dedicated. No joy. "Cannot start service Cheetah's Server on computer '.', The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Also tried setting the compatibility thing for Windows 8 (someone on Steam suggested it), but again, no joy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bournout3000 Trainee Engineer

I tried every other possible compartibility and even different config file saves and all the stuff, none of them works either :?

4. Anthropy Trainee Engineer

Same issue here, good to know it's related to the Creators Update.
    Figures, it's a fresh machine that only got upgraded from windows 8.1. Guess I shouldn't have done that. Good going Microsoft.

Knowing how these messages normally work, I'd say either the timeout changed to a much lower value in the update, that or the control messages are broken entirely for some .NET applications. I know that space engineers takes a while to send its initial "Yea I'm starting" message to the service manager though, so perhaps that's what's causing the breakage.
    Fixing that bug is annoying, I don't know if it's possible/easy to just make the server respond with the 'Starting' control message right after it is run within a few seconds, otherwise it might be an option to implement a small start/stop manager in a separate executable that then runs the main dedicated server executable.. but that's just some thoughts.

Edit: As "workaround" for people who updated their host and only need to run one server, you can still run the 'Console/Local' session.
    If you move your world files from C:\ProgramData\SpaceEngineersDedicated\...\ to %appdata%\SpaceEngineersDedicated\ you'll be able to start your server on the local console.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JTrevail Trainee Engineer

same error

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bournout3000 Trainee Engineer

Figured this one out, too but it did only work for me after changing the Cenario to the first one in the list and creating a new save. After that you change the gamemode to that one of your save (especially Star System seems to be buggy for me). Then you replace the freshly created save and replace it with your world save as desired. After that it can appear, that the exact same error occurs, even if you allready successfully started your desired save. After your hopefully successfull start of the Server and then after one or two successfull restarts it finally should work for the save permanently on the "Local/Console" session.:)
    But after all this is just a workaround. Hopefully the developpers fix the problem in the first place.

7. I23I7 ME Tester

Hey guys thanks for the report!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. David353 Trainee Engineer

Hi, i have same issue is there any new solution how to fix it?

9. I23I7 ME Tester

Hello,

As @Anthropy mentioned as a work around you can do this :

For people who updated their host and only need to run one server, you can still run the 'Console/Local' session.
    If you move your world files from C:\ProgramData\SpaceEngineersDedicated\...\ to %appdata%\SpaceEngineersDedicated\ you'll be able to start your server on the local console.

10. Forjo Apprentice Engineer

Has there been any update on this? The server is faulting on sechost.dll. Why does it work locally and not as a service??

Event 1026 .NET Runtime
    Application: SpaceEngineersDedicated.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
    at VRage.Service.NativeMethods.RegisterServiceCtrlHandlerEx(System.String, System.Delegate, IntPtr)
    at VRage.Service.MyServiceBase.ServiceMainCallback(Int32, IntPtr)
    at VRage.Dedicated.DedicatedServer.Run[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.String[])
    at SpaceEngineersDedicated.MyProgram.Main(System.String[])

Event 1000 Application Errror
    Faulting application name: SpaceEngineersDedicated.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x594b8882
    Faulting module name: sechost.dll, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0xb4c11302
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000377c
    Faulting process id: 0x5cd4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2eb6f1e719da6
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SpaceEngineers\DedicatedServer64\SpaceEngineersDedicated.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\sechost.dll
    Report Id: fbf51bc3-c593-4a46-8bba-45c67a956cd0
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

-Forjo

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  11. I23I7 ME Tester

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...anything/568af1bf-b998-47af-a9cf-9373ae735100 would this help?

12. Forjo Apprentice Engineer

Unlikely, as that update is for Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7....

I only have 6 Updates on Windows since the Creators Update. Two are for Flash, and the others are KB4022405, KB4020102, KB2693643, AND KB4022725. Do any of these look relevant to you?

Can't you guys just bring up a Windows 10 Pro system will all the latest updates and test this?

-Forjo

13. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Trainee Engineer

Is it likely they fix this problem in the Thursday update of this week ???

14. Roxette Senior Engineer

Will there even be any updates this week? Wednesday and Thursday are both national public holidays in Czech Republic.

15. I23I7 ME Tester

Hey,

To my knowledge there should be a update. I am bumping the issue again for a fix.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snail Farmer Trainee Engineer

I am also running Windows 10 64-bit with the Creator's Update. I am also getting the The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. error message when trying to launch my dedicated server I set up. Mine is also faulting on sechost.dll as was mentioned in an earlier post. My Windows is up to date and I have no other issues. I've searched for an answer online for the last 7 hours or so, with no results. Hopefully one of you will figure this out soon. Thank you to any and all who are working on it!

I doubt it matters but for reference my PC specs are as follows:

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Gigabyte Aorus Gaming K7 motherboard
    Ryzen R7 1700 CPU
    32GB DDR4-3000 Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM
    Evga GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU
    Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB Nvme SSD

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  17. rsslcs Trainee Engineer

Same problem for me too! Sechost.dll faulting. Hope a fix comes soon..

18. sur6e Trainee Engineer

Been getting the issue with service not starting on computer '.' for a long ass time. Probably had that a year ago. I gave up on it. I can only run it as console so that's what I do. I think this was before I had it running on Win 10 x64 Creators Edition even. Probably was on Win 8.1.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I23I7 ME Tester

Running as a console for now seems to be a work around as well. So for anyone experiencing attempt to run the Dedicatedserver app as a console. You can find it easily in the local folder tab from the steam properties of the game.

20. Snail Farmer Trainee Engineer

Thanks for the info about the local/console.. I set that up and my server has been running stable for 2 days. It shows up online and people can connect to it so that's good enough for me!

• Like Like x 1
  21. I23I7 ME Tester

Thanks for the heads up.

22. Gnarles Trainee Engineer

Bumping this one for visibility. I ran into this issue before on my server and ended up reverting the creators update. I've now had to reinstall on a new drive and have hit this issue again.

Can we get an update on if this issue will be fixed soon. Currently I can only run one server at a time and it doesn't automatically come back up if something happens to the server or windows reboots to install updates.

23. I23I7 ME Tester

And you are running through console right? Because that should permit you to run multiple servers.

24. Snail Farmer Trainee Engineer

Any updates on this issue? Still not working with the current patch. I'm fine running my server through console for now, but would prefer to have it running as a service instead of a foreground process.

25. Forjo Apprentice Engineer

Indeed -- this is a problem because we can't set servers to automatically restart when they crash. Please look at this. I think it's something to do with .net.

-Forjo

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.