Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Desolation Hardcore Survival PVP[WarpDrives][Dynamic Events][USEast][AutoRestart][24/7]

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by TheMap, Jun 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. TheMap Trainee Engineer

:D

2. Incorporeality Trainee Engineer

Was going to comment also that requiring a beacon on everything might not be best for a PVP server. I mean, I see the utility for the admin. I assume when you're doing cleanup with your editing tool (forget the name of the thing) you're checking to see if things have beacons attached as a marker for whether or not they're just junk or actively used ships. But it kind of ruins the ability to hide and be stealthy. Unless an unpowered beacon counts during cleanup? Anyway this server sounds pretty cool and I'll definitely check it out when I get my new computer and can actually play. I keep having life stuff come up and deplete my computer fund. Also keep flip-flopping on whether to just put down four or five hundred now for a box that can play space engineers and a couple other games I'm interested in or spend a couple grand to build a computer that will be able to play anything I wanna play over the next couple years. I know I can just upgrade later, but it would be annoying to just waste a hundred or two dollars on a gfx card that is going to be sitting on a shelf in a couple months. Either way surplus money sitting around seems to spend itself.

Would really like to see more servers dedicated to stable PvP though. There are a lot of creative servers, and a lot that just throw you in in a fighter for some quick shoot-em-up, but not many that aim for a long-term pvp experience. Understandable I guess w/ the state of the netcode at the moment and the lack of factions, but still sad. And what's with the lack of combat videos on Youtube to hold me over till I get the game? Mebbe you could upload one from some battles on your server :D It would make a good intro to the server video as well.

3. Bopkasen Apprentice Engineer

Patch is updated. Please apply the hotfix as soon as possible!

4. TheMap Trainee Engineer

Server is updated, enjoy

5. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

Unpowered beacons do appear as the ship name in SEToolbox, and even incomplete beacons.

6. fartmans Trainee Engineer

kick anyone they feel like for anything at all

not safe to spend time building

7. TheMap Trainee Engineer

Im not sure exactly who you are ingame and why you would have been kicked. But we do not kick players who abide by the rules, and we rarely have to kick anyone at that. If you wish to contact me about it feel free to pm me or join our TS.

www.DesolationGaming.net

8. fartmans Trainee Engineer

I reiterate that the choices and criteria for kicking players are random and unstable.

9. TheMap Trainee Engineer

Ah well thank you, normally we don't kick anyone unless they are breaking the rules. Sorry if you did get kicked. If it did happen it may have been an accident.

10. TheMap Trainee Engineer

New remake on the starter ship. Supplies included in the cargo for a medbay and refinery.

11. TheMap Trainee Engineer

Server is back up and updated.

12. Bopkasen Apprentice Engineer

Cheaters going around cheating every 2 days. Resources are expensive on this server. Once cheater hit your supplies, you get royally screw.

13. TheMap Trainee Engineer

The resources will be replenished over time. Also until KSH decides to remove the "SAVE" world button on dedicated servers this will be present in any server. Sorry nothing to prevent it at the moment. We are playing around with the API that is in Alpha and other means like whitelisted servers.

14. Bopkasen Apprentice Engineer

All of it is true except, when I says resources are expensive, it means that efficiency are set to low, and the amount of effort to mine and make components are tedious and waste of your entertainment time because of the cheaters.

It is better to spawn starter ship to dump components than to go mining and make components.

15. DoctorDeathDefying Apprentice Engineer

Your server seems to be down.
    It would be a shame if something.....happened to it.

16. TheMap Trainee Engineer

Thanks for the bump, auto restart works wonders. :D

17. TheMap Trainee Engineer

Server is updated with the newest version. Enjoy

18. TheMap Trainee Engineer

Added a join buffer to the server to prevent people from spam joining and leaving.

19. Bluedrake42 Trainee Engineer

idk whats going on, me and my friend were playing fine on this server earlier... but now whenever we try to join, it hangs on a black screen for eternity... then eventually shows a cockpit, but stays frozen. It wasn't like this before, did something change? Seriously this stuff was hours apart, we were just playing a few hours ago without any problems.

20. TheMap Trainee Engineer

Im not sure , did you try turning your power? The server seems to be running ok. Let me know.

21. Bluedrake42 Trainee Engineer

Just had a terrible experience on this server (not really their fault... more the game) probably won't be coming back until all these things are fixed.
    Spent two days with my clan building a base. One guy came in with the default grinding tool that everyone spawns with, waited until we were offline... made it past our turrets.
    Stole our drill ship, and drilled through our entire base... destroying all our days work in a matter of seconds.
    None of the turrets or gattling guns work on the server... for some reasons their ammo consumption is x100% so 2000 rounds literally don't last 5 seconds.
    So all of our defense turrets didn't even put a dent in this guy's starter ship before they ran out of ammo.
    There is no way to lock ships, bases or systems... so once our turrets were out of ammo... all he had to do was find our mining ship (which is of course, completely unlockable...) and hold right click with the drill to destroy everything.

There is no way to protect a base in this server... you can't build anything without it being found and destroyed. There is no way to realistically fight anyone because all the ammo consumption is bugged. So essentially all anyone does, is troll around with drills and destroy anything anyone builds. I understand this server is supposed to be PVP... but its not even fun PVP. Its just lame spawn killing.
    Don't really know what I expect you all to do about it, but I figured I might as well say something.
    Edit: It'd be one thing if this guy showed up with a bunch of guns, and a bunch of team mates and legit beat us in combat and took our stuff. But he was just a fresh spawn, with a grinder... and he fucked all our shit. Like seriously, how are we supposed to play this game seriously if even the most noob player can destroy all our work with nothing but a grinder and a spawn ship.

22. Incorporeality Trainee Engineer

I'm just watching your video now Drake (the 3hr one) and seems good so far :) That BlackNexus guy is such a turd :D He came in trying to troll you with a starter ship and you killed him, then he got on chat shouting your coordinates and how there were a bunch of noobs there with stuff so OTHER people would come and kill you for him. At least, I assume it was him by looking at what he was saying in the chat, since tags were completely turned off.

Agree it's mostly broken for MP. Building a base in an asteroid isn't a viable option atm in game apparently. You need a large ship base, stationed well away from anything, then you take your mining and fighting ships in whenever you log in. Ofc the problem with that is that cheaters just do saves then look at the save files to find out where other people's stuff is, and the nicest stuff, then log on and steal it. Very difficult to build anything permanent, and not much the admin of the server can do. And yeah, the drill thing is VERY broken. Honestly the right click option for supermining shouldn't be in survival in the first place, only creative, but there should DEFINITELY be an option to turn it off because even if it was possible for a asteroid base to be survivable otherwise the superdrill would wreck that, letting people come in at speed from the back side to avoid your defences, straight through the rock. Hopefully they'll put in a toggle for that latter, or preferably turn it off completely in survival. It basically takes up the role of the only thing those terrible warheads were good for without actually costing any of their resources.

Enjoying the video so far though, thanks for posting. Love how you demolished BlackNexus with no gear. :D

23. KorbenDallas Trainee Engineer

I noticed the ammo thing also, gatlings eat a case of ammo every time you click fire it seems. Drilling up a base isn't pvp that is griefing imo, salvaging your base makes sense, but just destroying things for the fun of destroying is crappy.

24. TheMap Trainee Engineer

Honestly sorry if you had a bad experience, most of what you are asking is not possible right now. You can protect your base on the server, don't build in obvious locations. Setup a sound defense. Also as far as the Nato ammo, this is the first time anyone has said anything about it. I will look into it. This server is however hardcore survival.

I have also checked the server logs from the past 4 days and did not see you on any of them. The only blue named character was blue dot, and he was on for literally 5 minutes. Your name seems familiar but i am not so sure you spent as much time as you have said you spent building on the server.

A lot of players already realize the problems with multiplayer and pvp at the moment and is not just singled out to a certain server or setting it is a whole. While this is alpha , I can only express that it will get better over time. As a server owner/hoster there is only so much I can do. The tools are very limited and what we can do , but they are being worked on avidly by some very talented modders.

With all that said the only thing I see worth looking into with your post is the fact ammo is being eaten like candy.

Edit: I just watched part of your stream and seen some very bad decisions made on your part. You built your base inside a very common area to mine, you gave out coordinates on a live stream and the name of the server you was playing on in a pvp server. First rule of space engineers on a pvp focused dedicated server , build a mobile base.

Better luck next stream, I do not think Gatling ammo would have saved your base.

25. Incorporeality Trainee Engineer

Dunno about two days, but he does have a like 3.5hr video up of playing on your server, so he was definitely there. Or is there another serve named desolation maybe? But yeah, not much server admin can do about the problems for now, will be better once factions are in. You also picked a bad spot to build (both times). In the asteroid isn't a good idea, and the first time you were right in the opening where they could see you. The second time while you were tucked into a side tunnel, it actually opened right to the outside of the asteroid so that people could look into your base from the outside. The main 'tunnel' you entered by actually looked like it was made by someone's large drilling ship, and the 'side' tunnel you were in had an exit right to the outside of the asteroid on the other side of it.

In general though building in the asteroid is a bad idea, and will be until they get factions and you can set up your turrets logically. As someone said in the chat while you were playing, 'the asteroids aren't where we live, they're where we eat.' Also you probably wasted your time building gattling turrets as currently guns do little to no damage to blocks in SE, especially heavy armor but also light. Missile turrets would be much better. Hadn't heard about that ammo eating bug either though.

And Map, this is exactly the kind of video I wanted to see of the server :D Despite Drake's problems, it showed that it was performing pretty damn well with a ton of people on (for Space Engineers anyway). There was some time slowdown, but porting and other more traditional lag wasn't really that bad. Dunno if it was stable enough for good combat, but it was pretty damn stable. Really excited about joining this server when I finally build my new rig (soon I think, expenses are about to drop off here in a month or so. Hopefully in time to get in the H1Z1 EA fist day as well hehe).

26. polo Trainee Engineer

You guys are talking about a video, I haven't understand what it is and where to find it ? As a server, video can be recorded ? If yes that is damn cool !

27. Incorporeality Trainee Engineer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_lwWhF9PVk That's BlueDrake's livestream recording on Youtube. I think he has another video up about after his base got griefed, but I'm still watching the LS video.

This is the video I was talking about, and after seeing him reconnect I'm pretty sure it WAS this server by seeing the server name. Also someone named polo was there for a while.

Really hope you decide not to actually quit Drake. More videos of the server would be great :) Just build like everyone else is, a large ship for a base way out. If you need it to be a station for some reason you can just build a station block and a merge block anywhere and convert it, then you can move it every so often so it's less likely save file exploiters will get it.

28. polo Trainee Engineer

I confirm I do remeber seing blueDrake on this server. Never seen your setup though.
    I join with Incorporeality on that : I hope you will not quit and see you continue made livestream it's cool.

29. Evil_Clown712 Trainee Engineer

This server looks kinda cool. With Factions I might be able to actually play multiplayer, now. Before I got super pissed off because there was really no way to save your work through sessions, so it seemed pointless to me. Now that there are Factions I can always spawn on my ship hidden out somewhere with less threat of griefers.

30. Bluedrake42 Trainee Engineer

lol and then the DAY after they add in everything I want. Awesome. perfect timing jackasses lol

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.